PDA

View Full Version : Prop question - 3bld 14x16 vs 4bld 13x14

jmcentire
08-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I have been looking for a prop for my boat for a while, and just can't spend money for new right now. My MS 200 v drive can't get on plane when I have 1000 lbs + ballast(unless 60% is in the front), so I am trying to fix that problem with a prop. I currently have a OJ 3 blade 14x16 and found a good deal locally on a new OJ Legend 4 blade 13x14 with the correct shaft size and rotation. It seems like a big difference in size and pitch, but I don't know enough about props to know how it will affect my boat. My boat has plenty of top speed(had it up to 45mph, but haven't tried WOT yet), and 90% of the time we are boarding or surfing. So what would I gain and lose going to a 4blade smaller diameter and lower pitch prop?

Mag_Red
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been looking for a prop for my boat for a while, and just can't spend money for new right now. My MS 200 v drive can't get on plane when I have 1000 lbs + ballast(unless 60% is in the front), so I am trying to fix that problem with a prop. I currently have a OJ 3 blade 14x16 and found a good deal locally on a new OJ Legend 4 blade 13x14 with the correct shaft size and rotation. It seems like a big difference in size and pitch, but I don't know enough about props to know how it will affect my boat. My boat has plenty of top speed(had it up to 45mph, but haven't tried WOT yet), and 90% of the time we are boarding or surfing. So what would I gain and lose going to a 4blade smaller diameter and lower pitch prop?Call OJ props and ask them........their customer service is great

wakewander
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
what boat are you running these props on? i ask cause i have a 84 s&s with a 14x18 and i'm looking to run something different. i have over 1300 lbs in the back of mine and it does fine but i want it to jump right out. it doesn't take long now as it is but i think it can get a little better.

jmcentire
08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Running on a 95 Maristar 200 VRS V-Drive TBI....if I put more weight up front I can plane out, but I tried 1000 lbs in the rear and 250 in the locker and had to have the other 4 adults in the bow in order to get on plane. For surfing I had 1200lbs in the rear and 5 adults and could barely go above 10 mph.

EJ OJPROP
08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I have been looking for a prop for my boat for a while, and just can't spend money for new right now. My MS 200 v drive can't get on plane when I have 1000 lbs + ballast(unless 60% is in the front), so I am trying to fix that problem with a prop. I currently have a OJ 3 blade 14x16 and found a good deal locally on a new OJ Legend 4 blade 13x14 with the correct shaft size and rotation. It seems like a big difference in size and pitch, but I don't know enough about props to know how it will affect my boat. My boat has plenty of top speed(had it up to 45mph, but haven't tried WOT yet), and 90% of the time we are boarding or surfing. So what would I gain and lose going to a 4blade smaller diameter and lower pitch prop?

The 13 X 14 is for a 1:1 transmission, it is not enough prop (pitch or diameter) for your application. To get the best low end performance you will need to increase the diameter, 14.25 or more, and decrease the pitch, 14 to 15.5.

jmcentire
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
So I understand this would not be the best solution...but would it be better than what I currently have? I can get this prop brand new for $100, even if it is a little better it would seem to be worth it just to have a spare.
Thanks!

FrankSchwab
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Take EJ's advice on prop sizing, and watch Ebay for an appropriate sized one. There are a lot of them up there, some new, some rebuilt, some damaged, in the price range you're looking for.

/frank

jmcentire
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I have been watching ebay and several online classifieds for a while, can't find any that would be even close to the size recommended by EJ. All that are 14" diameter or larger(and the correct shaft/rotation) have a 18" + pitch. Anything smaller than 14" diameter was less than 14" pitch.