PDA

View Full Version : Diesel exhaust stack

Skipper
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Thinking about installing a single stack exhaust system on my 2005 Chevy Duramax Diesel pickup. I saw a handful of trucks with these systems when I lived in KY. Anybody have any experience with these systems? Any adverse effects to the vehicle?

Hammer
08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
When it rains the pipe fills with water. Then next time you start it you get a nice coat of black nastiness all over the truck. Unless you remember to put a bucket over the pipe:).

Hammer
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Other than that nothing really any different power wise than a equal sized out the back type.

Hrkdrivr
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
My diesel exhausts low by the back bumper and I still get some sooty blowback into the boat when I trailer w/out the cover on, which is most of the time. I'd think you migh get even more goo in the boat if you launch the exhaust above the boat...dunno though...

flipper
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I would vote against it. I have dual 3" strait pipes all the way back and like it. A pipe like that get ANNOYING in the cab after a while with all the noise right in your ear. Plus I don't like the way it looks

Ben
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you use the bed of your truck? I would think loading rocks, sand, much, plywood, etc would be a problem. Also, would need something to keep everything away from it that can't get hot or melt to the pipe?

Looks & sounds cool though...

stuartmcnair
08-18-2009, 04:57 PM
sorry, my 6.0L Ford diesel doesn't smoke...

flipper
08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
sorry, my 6.0L Ford diesel doesn't smoke...

You're not pushing it hard enough:D

flipper
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Do you use the bed of your truck? I would think loading rocks, sand, much, plywood, etc would be a problem. Also, would need something to keep everything away from it that can't get hot or melt to the pipe?

Looks & sounds cool though...

most come through the bed of the truck, some will go up the side. I made some guards for a guy a while ago that put some stacks in so they wouldn't get messed up by stuff in the bed

Skipper
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I have the Bully Dog Bull Pup engine tune. When I really stand on it, black smoke pours out the exhaust. Under normal driving conditions, it puts out minimal smoke.

Regardless, the right side of the boat gets blackened. I drive 2hrs each way to the lake. That was the main reason I wanted to switch to the stack. The cool sound is a bonus...until you spend hours on the road listening to it, I guess.

Thanks for the input. Still undecided.

Ben
08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Regardless, the right side of the boat gets blackened. I drive 2hrs each way to the lake. That was the main reason I wanted to switch to the stack.

I had this concern when I got my diesel truck a few years ago. We used to to short distances, only a few long trips (3 to 10 hours each way), but never noticed anything. It was a stock '97 powerstroke. Anyway, one thought I had at first was to turn the tailpipe 90 deg to go rearward, then run a exhaust pipe along the boat trailer, and somehow connect it to the truck exhaust near the hitch (pivot point of truck/trailer). This would get the smoke behind the boat most or all of the way. May not be the coolest looking thing, but the engineer in me would declare it functional...

TMCNo1
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Here ya go,

Thrall
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Never been in a DMax wih stacks, but a 3rd Gen Cummins is LOUD in the cab with single or dual stacks (unless you could rig a muffler in there somewhere). It'll be loud and it'll blow soot into your interior as opposed to the side of the boat. The old white boat would alwyas have a few soot marks on the side after a good road trip...that's why I bought a black boat!:D

Forrest-X45
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't do it as I would hate loosing the functionality of my truck bed. You can't have anything close to the stacks that can melt or catch fire. I have heard a few stories on other sites of things melting or burning on trips if they are too close to the stack.
If you do it get the turned stack so water doesn't get into the exhaust when it rains like others have mentioned.
It looks cool but it's not for me as I like my truck bed and not loosing my hearing while towing the boat. ;)

jmcentire
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
My brother has a 3rd gen cummins with dual stacks and a PS 205, after towing for a few hours to the lake everything inside the boat and the tower had turned black, and if you didn't clean it ALL up before you went out you had black handprints on anything that wasn't already covered. It did lightly rain part of the drive which probably contributed to it and his cummins is a little extreme, twin turbos, custom tune, etc.

On the other hand it looks good(I especially like duallys with stacks) and really the noise inside the cab isn't that bad(his 06 has a lot better sound insulation than the older ones, even with his stacks it is still a ton quieter inside the cab than my old 1st gen cummins).

Tanski
09-17-2009, 05:15 PM
My room mate's doing that to his 2006 Duramax. I told him to make sure he can put his sled in there before he does it. I've seen a lot of them around town and to me, they're not that appealing, but I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

TMCNo1
09-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I imagine the guy with the Dodge truck is named Bubby Earl Dean Pressley.

babymoore3
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Been told straight pipes out the back will foul up the boat just as much, however if you turn them out the side you are much less likely to have a sooty boat!

my two cents...

TX.X-30 fan
09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
This thread screams knuckle dragger.

Skipper
09-17-2009, 08:08 PM
This thread screams knuckle dragger.

That's AIRBORNE knuckle dragger to you, sir. ;)

In the end, I would prefer to have to clean the soot from the side of my boat, as apposed to having it all over the interior. No stacks for me. Thanks for all of the input.

TX.X-30 fan
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
That's AIRBORNE knuckle dragger to you, sir. ;)

In the end, I would prefer to have to clean the soot from the side of my boat, as apposed to having it all over the interior. No stacks for me. Thanks for all of the input.

Good call...................................:D

No sh!t AIRBORNE?????????? You could seriously kick my A$$.

Thanks for your service Sir.