PDA

View Full Version : Shredded Impeller belt on 85 S & S 351 PCM

AR Footer
06-04-2005, 10:56 PM
We had spent a wonderful day on the lake and it was getting close to dark when the smell of burning rubber became evident and the temperature started up rapidly; reaching about 225 - 250 before I got it shut down. When I opened the motor box I found the impeller belt was shredded but not to the point of being broken in two pieces. I took the bolts loose and put it back on so that I could limp home but it twisted almost immediately after I put it back on and we ended up having to idle about 5 - 6 miles back to the launch ramp. I know, shame on me for not having a spare belt with me. Anyway, any idea what might have happened? It could have just been a belt failure but I thought I had checked it and it looked good. Impeller seems to move like it should. I can turn it in the proper direction by hand without working at it real hard.

6ballsisall
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
If it was me I'd take a look at the impeller itself and see how it looks.

BriEOD
06-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I had the impeller setup on the PCM engines. It's such a pain in the arse. Yeah, get on DIM website and order a set of belts it's like $10.

AR Footer
06-05-2005, 08:04 AM
That is what I was thinking. If it was anything other than belt failure it would most likely be the impeller. I will definitely do that before I put new belts on. Thanks :) :)

AR Footer
06-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I took the impeller apart and it looks brand new, which it is, no broken or split blades. A new set of belts and I should be good to go.