PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical ???

shepherd
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm looking to buy a NordicTrack. Trying to decide between the A.C.T. elliptical ($899) and the AudioStrider 800 ($699). Or should I be looking at something else? Anybody have experience with NordicTrack or other brand ellipticals? Doc said no more running because of a bad knee so trying to find a substitute workout.

russlars
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I have some knee issues that limit my running also and have been using an eliptical for the last couple years. We are very happy with the Octane Eliptical. Has been very trouble free and takes up a little less space than many of the others. Probably a little more $ than the ones you are looking at but well worth it in my opinion. Try it before you buy and make sure that the action is nice and smooth and natural feeling.

etakk7
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
my experience is that LifeFitness and Precor are head and shoulders above the rest. Very spendy though, like a mastercraft, but worth every penny in longevity and performance

Ryan
08-17-2009, 02:08 PM
How often will it be used? If less than 3x a week, you'll probably be fine. If more than that, or mulitple users I recomend taking your shopping up a notch.

Do a search for rebuilt Precors. I would take one over a new Nordic Track Elliptical. And nothing against the brand, we have one of their industrial treadmills from Costco. I just think their ellipticals aren't as good as their treadmills. If you want to go new, really shop the Precor dealer network to get a good price. Some are willing to ship out of network. I saved $450 doing this.

Hrkdrivr
08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
+1 for LifeFitness.

We bought one from a showroom almost 8 years ago and even with three to four family members using it almost daily over that time and two cross-country moves it's still going smooth (and we've never had to have it serviced).

etakk7 is right, they're a little more spendy but worth every penny. We found ours as a floor model that was one or two years behind the latest and greatest. The only real difference was the color of the plastic casings and the compuer head looks a little different. It doesn't have the heart-rate pickups in the handgrips, but it picks up the Polar heart rate strap, which it came with.

In any case, we got it for about 40% less than a current-year model and it's still plugging away. The hard part will be finding a dealer with merch on the floor to look at; IIRC, LifeFitness dealers were pretty few and far between.

AFX-30
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Hmm I am not a big fan of the elipticals. I have had a lot of sucees with the escalator type stairsteppers. I feel it gives me a better work out and is not hard on your knees.

cbryan70
08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I would look used as well......

André
08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Try a C2 rower.:)
http://www.concept2.co.uk/

JohnE
08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Hmm I am not a big fan of the elipticals. I have had a lot of sucees with the escalator type stairsteppers. I feel it gives me a better work out and is not hard on your knees.

Agreed 100%. I don't know what the proper term is for these machines. My BIL refers to them as stairmills. The professional step machines from cybex are a close second.

Can't get a good enough cardio workout on an elliptical IMO if you are going for real serious cardio.

shepherd
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't know. I spent a half hour on an elliptical this evening at the gym and it had my heart rate up there. And an additional bonus is you can work your arms on it as well, something a treadmill or stair stepper won't do for you. I don't mean 15" python arms, but it at least keeps them moving...

etakk7
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
our life fitness eliptical retailed around $2500. We got it for $500 on Craigslist. I did have to watch for it for a month or so though. Life Fitness is made up here in Ramsey, MN.

Life Fitness is more of a "jogging" style eliptical, whereas Precor is more of a "stairmaster" style eliptical. The higher end Precor's are nice because you can adjust the incline on the fly and change the muscles that you work. The higher you go, the more like a stairmaster it is. According to what I've been told, it was Precor who invented the elliptical and they still make the best units.

shepherd
08-18-2009, 12:00 AM
They have both at the gym at work. I used the life fitness tonight. It is a nice machine. Maybe I'll try the Precor next.

gimmemoedmb
08-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I agree, I would find a used higher end machine. I was very close to buying a NordicTrack elliptical and I'm SO glad I didn't. After using the Life Fiteness it is WAY better than the NordicTrack. I also found a $3000 Life Fitness on craigslist for only $800. It's only 5 years old and is in great shape.