PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal for College

shepherd
08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Why did we kick *** in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why are we the number one world superpower? Because we have the most technologically-advanced military in the world. Unfortunately, we are in danger of losing that technology edge because it is getting harder and harder for DoD to find competent, US citizen, students studying science and engineering. This is a real problem, and I hear about it on a weekly basis from the senior leaders and recruiters at the small Navy base where I work. You don't have to join the military to do this. DoD -- especially the Navy -- has a large contingent of civilian engineers and scientists.

If you are going to college or know someone who is, you might want to check this out:

The Department of Defense as part of the National Defense Education Program provides funding for scholarships in the Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship Program.

SMART is a civilian scholarship-for-service program. After graduation, participants complete a period of full time civilian employment with a DOD organization at the rate of one (1) calendar year for each academic year of funding.
Participants in the SMART Scholarship for Service Program receive;
Full tuition and education related fees
Stipend ranging from $25,000 - $41,000 depending on prior educational experience (stipend may be prorated depending on award length)
Paid summer internships
Health Insurance
Book allowance of $1,000 per academic year
Mentoring
Employment placement after graduation
__________________________________________________ ______________

SMART is available to US Citizens who are 18 years of age or older and pursuing degrees in STEM disciplines. Individuals who have applied for and accept a SMART award are considered SMART Participants. Participants who are currently employed by the DoD and pursuing a STEM degree under the Program are considered Retention Participants.

Complete program descriptions and applications may be found on the following web site: www.asee.org/fellowships/smart.

The application period for all SMART Candidates begins 15 August 2009 and closes 15 December 2009. All applications are filed through the web site.

Craig
08-17-2009, 10:32 AM
The SMART fellowship is a pretty good deal especially if you are interested in a DoD career. However, it is probably best suited for undergrads although you can apply as a graduate student.

The fact that the summer internships are not a bonus but required is what killed it for me and so I opted to apply for the NDSEG Fellowship instead.

Thrall
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I never participated in the summer engineering internships because they didn't pay enough. (Luckily they weren't mandatory at Illinois until after I graduated, or I'd probably have student loans instead of a Mastercraft:D!)
If you're getting a full ride and book allowance, though, that seems like a sweet deal. Especially if you only have to give a year's service for every year of assistance. Heck, most engineers (and other disciplines) change employers after they cut their teeth a few years anyway.

Monte
08-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info shep.