PDA

View Full Version : Plastic drain plug?

sk8salomon
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
When I 1st saw this i thought what a joke. Seriously, I have a friend with an '02 X7. He says his plug is brass, so was the plug in my old 89 PS190. When did MC change to a plastic/nylon plug? I've been noticing more water in the bottom of the boat than usual. My bilge went bad on me this weekend and water slowly filled the entire bottom of the boat. I put the boat on the trailer, drained the water, took the engine cover off, floor out, put plug back in and ran the boat down the lake. Sure enough, water is coming in the drain plug. The faster you drive, the faster water comes in. The female fitting in the hull is also plastic. I'm thinking the threads could possibly be damaged or not sealing 100%? Any ideas?

JohnE
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
They went plastic in '08 iirc.. My 08 and 09 have had no issues. But I'd prefer the brass set up. You can replace the whole setup with a brass one if you are ambitious enough. Make sure the rubber O ring is in place on the plastic plug. If you messed up/ crossed threaded the plastic, I'd definitely replace with the brass.

sk8salomon
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
thanks, i'll call the dealership tomorrow and see about getting a brass replacement.

Cloaked
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
thanks, i'll call the dealership tomorrow and see about getting a brass replacement.
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=250

JohnE
08-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Just realize you can't replace just the plug. You need to replace the female "receptacle" too, which is adhered with one of the 3M products. Not sure how easy it is to remove.....Lemme know how you make out. I might replace mine if it goes well. And FWIW, skidim and others sell the set up. I bought a replacement there years ago for my tristar.

sk8salomon
08-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Just realize you can't replace just the plug. You need to replace the female "receptacle" too, which is adhered with one of the 3M products. Not sure how easy it is to remove.....Lemme know how you make out. I might replace mine if it goes well. And FWIW, skidim and others sell the set up. I bought a replacement there years ago for my tristar.

hmm, the link above with part has me thinking. that part would have fit perfectly in my 89 ps190. my '07 doesn't have the 4 bolt holes around the flange. in fact, there is no flange like that. the nylon female fitting looks like it was molded in the hull.

sk8salomon
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
i had a spare brass plug from my old boat saved in a toolbox but it is a larger size thread. the current nylon one is just shy of 7/8"diameter.

TMCNo1
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
I bet a near 1" drill bit to remove most of the threads in the thru hull plastic fitting and one of these would cure the leaking. I tried one of the snap plugs once in our bronze one in the boat with threads and it didn't leak any at all, so I carry it as a spare for the T handle plug or for someone else who left theirs at home or lost it.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 06:41 AM
I bet a near 1" drill bit to remove most of the threads in the thru hull plastic fitting and one of these would cure the leaking. I tried one of the snap plugs once in our bronze one in the boat with threads and it didn't leak any at all, so I carry it as a spare for the T handle plug or for someone else who left theirs at home or lost it.

there's an idea. the only thing i would be worried about is once i drill out the female fitting, the thread wall will be smooth. aren't those plugs designed to fit inside the threads to help seal it?

EJ OJPROP
08-17-2009, 07:00 AM
When I 1st saw this i thought what a joke. Seriously, I have a friend with an '02 X7. He says his plug is brass, so was the plug in my old 89 PS190. When did MC change to a plastic/nylon plug? I've been noticing more water in the bottom of the boat than usual. My bilge went bad on me this weekend and water slowly filled the entire bottom of the boat. I put the boat on the trailer, drained the water, took the engine cover off, floor out, put plug back in and ran the boat down the lake. Sure enough, water is coming in the drain plug. The faster you drive, the faster water comes in. The female fitting in the hull is also plastic. I'm thinking the threads could possibly be damaged or not sealing 100%? Any ideas?

Check the O-Ring on the male side of the plug to insure it is fitting properly.

TMCNo1
08-17-2009, 08:01 AM
there's an idea. the only thing i would be worried about is once i drill out the female fitting, the thread wall will be smooth. aren't those plugs designed to fit inside the threads to help seal it?

No, they usually fit in a smooth brass tube driven and sealed in a hole drilled in the transom of I/O's and OB's.

east tx skier
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Why did MC change to plastic? Is there any school of thought that says this is a superior design? Or is it just less expensive to produce?

captain planet
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Why did MC change to plastic? Is there any school of thought that says this is a superior design? Or is it just less expensive to produce?

I have had discussions about this and it is a cost issue. :mad::rolleyes:

SkiDog
08-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I have had discussions about this and it is a cost issue. :mad::rolleyes:

Soooooooooooo, they ruduce the cost of the parts that goes into building the boat, but charge us MORE when we buy the boat?! I think I got this figured out now!:mad: BTW, mine leaks too!

jakethebt
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
A cost issue... i hope not. So you are making a $50k + boat with SS everything and you use a plastic drain plug? Who thought that was a good idea?

Also of note... I helped friends with two bayliners this summer, both were '07s I think. They both had brass on brass.

Thumbs
08-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Just a thought- as I almost cross-threaded mine the other day - that the nylon may be sacrificial to save the threads in the hull fitting. If you cross-thread it, the softer materail (plug, in this case) is going to fail before the harder (and much more difficult to repair/replace) in-hull threads fail. I'd rather replace the trashed threads on a $5 plastic plug than have to pull the entire assembly and replace it all.

Oh, and mine is an '07 Maristar with a plastic/nylon plug.

bxroads
08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I've seen brass stains on carpet, upholstery, cupholders, and in the bilge. Just a thought....

TMCNo1
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I've seen brass stains on carpet, upholstery, cupholders, and in the bilge. Just a thought....

Could be where Igor sat on his nuts and didn't know it, while cross threading his bilge plug!:rolleyes:

That's why I teflon tape mine in and never remove it except to change oil, cause it hurts mine!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

JohnE
08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Soooooooooooo, they ruduce the cost of the parts that goes into building the boat, but charge us MORE when we buy the boat?! I think I got this figured out now!:mad: BTW, mine leaks too!

Tighten it...want some spinache?:D

Mine doesn't leak. Did you check the O-Ring as Eric said?

east tx skier
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Interesting. Glad I still have brass on my 11 year old boat. Never cross thread it it, though I do have to contort myself to get it screwed in.

VOLFAN
08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I have the same problem... I am not a fan of this setup with the plastic drain plug.

VOLFAN
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know the size of the o-ring? Just curious so I can pick up a couple so i can replace next time I am at the boat.

SkiDog
08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Tighten it...want some spinache?:D

Mine doesn't leak. Did you check the O-Ring as Eric said?

O Ring? I ain't seen no stinkin O ring! Who needs an O ring when the damn thing is crossthreaded, anyway?:D

captain planet
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
O Ring? I ain't seen no stinkin O ring! Who needs an O ring when the damn thing is crossthreaded, anyway?:D

A cross-thread is worth 2 lock washers isn't it? :D

TMCNo1
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

That's some Gawga engineerin' if'n I ever seed it!:rolleyes:

Ric
08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Interesting. Glad I still have brass on my 11 year old boat. Never cross thread it it, though I do have to contort myself to get it screwed in.
They don't make-em like they used to

JohnE
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know the size of the o-ring? Just curious so I can pick up a couple so i can replace next time I am at the boat.

I'd get a spare plug just to have if I were you. Then you can match the o-ring. I'll measure my o-ring tonight though.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
wow, this thread has taken off! thanks for all the info guys. yes, the o-ring is there and not damaged or cut. as others have said above, i know it has cross threaded at least once because it will start easy then about 3 turns in lock up. i just thought it was a typical tapered pipe thread and just sealed quickly. i think i'll get a new plug for starters, then if that doesn't seal up, i might try drilling out the female (huh huh). glad to hear others have had similar issues and i'm not the only dipstick. it does suck tho to think less quality parts are slowy taking over. anybody ever had problems with a leaky or cross threaded brass plug??? i would bet not.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I'll measure my o-ring tonight though.

you should already know.

JohnE
08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
wow, this thread has taken off! thanks for all the info guys. yes, the o-ring is there and not damaged or cut. as others have said above, i know it has cross threaded at least once because it will start easy then about 3 turns in lock up. i just thought it was a typical tapered pipe thread and just sealed quickly. i think i'll get a new plug for starters, then if that doesn't seal up, i might try drilling out the female (huh huh). glad to hear others have had similar issues and i'm not the only dipstick. it does suck tho to think less quality parts are slowy taking over. anybody ever had problems with a leaky or cross threaded brass plug??? i would bet not.

That's the problem. It isn't a tapered thread. The O-Ring is what is the actual seal. I'd limp through the season and change it over the winter if I were you.

JohnE
08-17-2009, 08:57 PM

I tried to remove the o-ring to get an accurate measurement but it didn't want to move. And I didn't want to ruin it in the process.

So it appears that the ID of the o-ring is about 7/8". Here are a few pic's. The plug measures just a smidge under 1" diameter and the o-ring is real snug. I never spent much time looking at it, but now that I did I can see it drying out and disappearing without noticing it.

Ignore my missing cupholder....:o

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 09:04 PM
here's a crappy cell phone pic. the threads don't look cross threaded but they do look flat and don't have sharp points on the top of the threads. There is one area where you can see the build up of plastic between the threads.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I tried to remove the o-ring to get an accurate measurement but it didn't want to move. And I didn't want to ruin it in the process.

So it appears that the ID of the o-ring is about 7/8". Here are a few pic's. The plug measures just a smidge under 1" diameter and the o-ring is real snug. I never spent much time looking at it, but now that I did I can see it drying out and disappearing without noticing it.

Ignore my missing cupholder....:o

wow, your plug for sure has sharp threads. mine are rounded off or flat. sounds like a new plug will do the fix. thanks much!

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
wow, your plug for sure has sharp threads. mine are rounded off or flat. sounds like a new plug will do the fix. thanks much!

Hopefully the threads attached to the boat are OK and you'll be good to go.

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:14 PM
BTW, my '09 came with a spare plug along with a plug to plug the paddlewheel if necessary. My '08 didn't. Unless I both misplaced it and forgot about it.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
i keep looking at that 2nd picture and shake my head. any chance on getting a close up shot of your plug threads?

TMCNo1
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
How about a pic, in the bilge and on the outside of the hull of the female fitting, this gets more interesting every minute.
I still think the conventional plug is the answer,

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
i keep looking at that 2nd picture and shake my head. any chance on getting a close up shot of your plug threads?

Camera battery died which is why I stopped at 2. If I can find the other one I'll put my Jack down and snap a few more.

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Camera battery died which is why I stopped at 2. If I can find the other one I'll put my Jack down and snap a few more.

same thing here, thats why i had to use my pos phone. i tried to pull back the o-ring and it is pretty freakin hard to do with finger nails. i did notice the threads near the o-ring look more like the ones in your 2nd pic, nice and sharp. the 1st 7 or 8 are pretty rounded.

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Did my best...any closer and the pics were out of focus..

sk8salomon
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
thanks, yeah i'd say that's my problem. i'll try to get a better pic of my plug but it doesn't look anything close to how nice and sharp your threads are.

VOLFAN
08-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I stopped by and took mine out yesterday. I brought it into work and compared it to a chart and shows to be a 3/32 in dia. and the o-ring number was a 116... I got an assorted few of them. I think I am going to try the 1/8 in dia which was a 217 I think... Not sur eif these numbers been anything to anyone else.

JohnE
08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I stopped by and took mine out yesterday. I brought it into work and compared it to a chart and shows to be a 3/32 in dia. and the o-ring number was a 116... I got an assorted few of them. I think I am going to try the 1/8 in dia which was a 217 I think... Not sur eif these numbers been anything to anyone else.

Means to me that you've been hitting the apple pie this morning........:D

I have no idea what those numbers mean.

ski_king
08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
This may help. Look around pages 3 and 4
http://www.parker.com/literature/O-Ring%20Division%20Literature/2-xxx%20sizes.pdf

sk8salomon
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
ok i see now. 3/32 diameter cross section on the rubber o-ring! OD of the o-ring is 15/16 and ID is 3/4 which sounds about right. i ordered a plug today, didn't ask price because i was too scared. i'll post before and after pics.

sk8salomon
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
$28 for new plug assembly. old plug on the right, new one on the left. notice the threads.

sk8salomon
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
replaced the entire plug fitting this weekend so thought i would post some pics. the female fitting in the hull had some damaged threads. not exactly sure how that happened but obviously was cross threaded at some point. i think part of the problem was that it was so difficult to get the plug installed with the heater hoses and wiring loom in the way. i re-routed the hoses in front of the pylon and then tied up the loom so the plug could rotate without hitting anything. it is so much easier now i could kick myself for not spending 30 minutes and fixing the problem when i 1st bought the boat. peeled off the old sealant and added some new stuff. we will test and see if it leaks now. also had to install a new bilge pump because the old one went bad. i guess all that pumping eventually burned it up. thanks for all the help guys!

JohnE
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Glad it went well.

But I have to ask....if you were replacing the entire set up why didn't you go with the brass set up?

sk8salomon
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Glad it went well.

But I have to ask....if you were replacing the entire set up why didn't you go with the brass set up?

the brass setup was a larger size thread, 1" i think. So i didn't want to have to buy a large drill bit and bore out the existing hole in the boat. wish i could have replaced with brass though.

TMCNo1
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
the brass setup was a larger size thread, 1" i think. So i didn't want to have to buy a large drill bit and bore out the existing hole in the boat. wish i could have replaced with brass though.

Next time you have to replace it, I'll let you borrow my Vari-Bit so you can install the brass plug/base.

TMCNo1
09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Here is a source for the brass bilge plugs, http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=732

93Prostar190
07-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey guys .... my 2008 is also starting to leak .... I am certain it has not been cross threaded and I did buy a new t-plug (plastic) from the dealer .... both are in good shape .... Is it possible to over tighten? I think I can reduce the leak by really clamping it down, but then the o ring gets smashed and that doesn't seem to stop all the water coming in .... a small seep ...

I am also wondering if some of the water is coming in through the hul fitting itself .... like it was lacking some sealant ... since the plastic threads and my hull have a small gap (when looking down) the outer perimeter of the plastic housing is just inside the perimeter of the hull and there is a small gap ... the gap fills with water and then I see it in the bottom of the boat ... so I am not sure if the plug is not sealing or the water is coming in from below .... if I really tighten the plastic one, it appears to leak the smallest amount ....

anyone want to weigh in ... I am thinking of just getting the brass one from SkiDim and installing it.

Sodar
07-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey guys .... my 2008 is also starting to leak .... I am certain it has not been cross threaded and I did buy a new t-plug (plastic) from the dealer .... both are in good shape .... Is it possible to over tighten? I think I can reduce the leak by really clamping it down, but then the o ring gets smashed and that doesn't seem to stop all the water coming in .... a small seep ...

I am also wondering if some of the water is coming in through the hul fitting itself .... like it was lacking some sealant ... since the plastic threads and my hull have a small gap (when looking down) the outer perimeter of the plastic housing is just inside the perimeter of the hull and there is a small gap ... the gap fills with water and then I see it in the bottom of the boat ... so I am not sure if the plug is not sealing or the water is coming in from below .... if I really tighten the plastic one, it appears to leak the smallest amount ....

anyone want to weigh in ... I am thinking of just getting the brass one from SkiDim and installing it.

I understand what you are saying. I put some black sealant around the gap on the inside of the boat... if for nothing else, just to pretty it up and stop from anything getting stuck in there.

93Prostar190
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I understand what you are saying. I put some black sealant around the gap on the inside of the boat... if for nothing else, just to pretty it up and stop from anything getting stuck in there.

Sodar, has yours leaked? is it possible to over-tighten the plastic type? I feel like when I do, I smash the o ring into a flat washer but it does not hold its circumference since it is so squashed .... Thanks for your input.

Sodar
07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Sodar, has yours leaked? is it possible to over-tighten the plastic type? I feel like when I do, I smash the o ring into a flat washer but it does not hold its circumference since it is so squashed .... Thanks for your input.

Never had a leak. Never crank it tight. Just tighten it up until the O-ring makes contact and then stop. :confused:

93Prostar190
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Never had a leak. Never crank it tight. Just tighten it up until the O-ring makes contact and then stop. :confused:

That is what I used to do .... really leaning towards brass.

93Prostar190
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Update on my drain plug situation .... I just had the boat for 7 straight days in the water and the drain plug did not leak ... I used a new O-ring and did NOT tighten it alot .... new O-Ring + my original plastic plug and it worked just fine.

I just the O-rings from a misc drain plug kit at West Marine ... they seemed to be the right size ... it was a Moeller drainplug kit for Livewells ... but the Orings were a perfect match and I have 4 spares now for $5.00

I still have the brass plug kit I ordered from SkiDim and that may be a Winter project ... but until then ... I have more skiing to do!

Thanks for everyones input.

"Bilge is dry - 93PS190"

sully
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Is it me or can't you get a garden hose (normal 5/8" hose) thru the drain plug hole with new new plastic plug design? Attached is what I have used for years. Now with our 09 boat the hose will not go thru drain plug hole. The attached show the connection to raw water pick-up hose, and the other end is blank.

bturner2
08-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I bought my boat used last year and PO haed cross threaded it. Switched to brass this year. No more problems.

Thrall
08-05-2010, 07:44 PM
'Nother reason I'm glad I got an 06!
Plastic drain plugs? Really? The one (or two) most important gadgets in the boat to keep it afloat and they're made of plastic?
Do they at least float? (Like when I launched my boat without the rear plug in last month and I was freakin out that if I dropped it while trying to thread it in that it would dive faster than me!)
That to me sounds as ridiculous as putting plastic lug nuts on the wheels.

ttu
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
sk8salomon, check your pm please! thank you.

BrooksfamX2
07-28-2013, 08:03 PM
My 07 X2 has a plastic plug and it works fine. I did replace the o-ring on it last year though.......

ttu
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
My 07 X2 has a plastic plug and it works fine. I did replace the o-ring on it last year though.......

what size 0-ring did you get? mine has probably been cross threaded before. keep my x2 on a hoist but going to table rock this week and curious how hard it is to replace the "female" side since it's going to be on the trailer.