PDA

View Full Version : A new ballast question(s)

Thumbs
08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I'm prepping for my ballast install and need to figure out how to get the overflow and discharge off the boat. My '07 Maristar has no factory ballast, so the only through-hulls are for the two bilge pumps.

My plan is to have 3 pumps, one for each rear corner and one for the bow sack. Now for the things I don't know:

1) Can I tap into the existing raw-water intake to supply the ballast pumps or do they require a dedicated through-hull for supply?

2) Can I use a series of Y-junctions or T's to connect the overflow to the existing bilge through hulls? The factory installations seem to have separate thru hulls for ballast and that leads me to believe I need to have the same, perhaps as a simple safety measure (don't want to risk flooding my bilge lines?).

3) One through hull per pump, or can I combine the rear pumps into a single line for discharge?

4) Check valves on the overflow or fill lines?

Here is what I think will happen:

I'll take photos and post it all once the project gets going...

Thanks

vino
08-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I tapped into the raw water intake. I have 3 simer pumps. I can run two to fill without the engine temp increasing. If I run all 3 while I'm filling, the engine temp wiill start to increase. I can run all 3 at once to empty.