PDA

View Full Version : Skier commands?

FrankSchwab
08-15-2009, 01:28 AM
In the spirit of the well-received Driver Commands thread, how about Skier commands?

What do you tell the skier/boarder/foiler/tuber/skater/surfer behind your boat, and how?

The only one that I've had a need for recently is "Hang on, don't do anything stupid, and don't drop off. There's a wally right behind you". Anyone got a suggestion for that, other than zinging some paintballs past the skier's ear on the way to Wally's boat?

Muttley
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Other than banging on the rope and spinning my finger in the air for turning around, not much.

If a wally got THAT close, I'd be tempted to do more than paintball them. We'd be having a "discussion" about the law. (and perhaps a midnight plug pull):mad:

flipper
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
I just warn everybody in the boat "If they fall hang on". I do a powerturn and back between the wally and the skier/boarder/foiler/tuber/skater/surfer heading right at them WOT. most of the time it scares the crap outta them and they go away.

Sodar
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
We have had some pretty funny ones in the past for communicating.

If there is a hot chick nearby that the crew on the boat wants to check out, we do a slap on the head that means the skier needs to fall then and there in the most idiotic way possible.

We also have a sign were the observer grabs his crotch which means. Grab your nuts son, because it is rough ahead.

Other than that, just the simple swirling hand to tell them we are turning.

Hollywood
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Index finger in the air + circle = we are turning around
Point out to either side = cut that way so I can drop you and talk w/o losing the handle
Up and down waving hand motion (outside of the boat) = rollers approaching
Palm up + arm raise (from inside the boat) = stand taller

jclose8
08-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Up and down waving hand motion (outside of the boat) = rollers approaching

I've seen people in my boat do that before..... I always ridicule them.... what kind of skier are you pulling that can see the hand signal, but for some reason doesn't see rollers approaching?

c_craig
08-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I've seen people in my boat do that before..... I always ridicule them.... what kind of skier are you pulling that can see the hand signal, but for some reason doesn't see rollers approaching?

Hilarious. I always tease my wife about using that signal. She wears glasses though, so maybe she can't see the rollers. OTOH, she can't see the signals either:rolleyes:

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:16 PM

New skiers? I'm typically not looking at the boat when I'm skiing for whatever that is worth to this thread.

Hollywood
08-18-2009, 10:11 AM
It does not mean rough water, it means crossing boat rollers. I can see just fine but I do ski with people who get cloudy contacts or something and we're just heading back to the dock anyway.

Also, our triple rig driver does it when we're building pyramids because not everybody is always looking at the water ahead. Usually the guys will let the girls up top know rollers are coming.

chudson
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Dug this out of an old AWSA booklet I have..................
There's a test at the end of class so study hard!!!

VOLFAN
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
When surfing I can just yell at them toss me another beer...