PDA

View Full Version : yep it a boat wont start

datsundave
08-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Help
I have 1976 Stars & Strips I just put a new motor in and it want start it did the starter does work but it is really slow and hardly turns the motor. Its not the battery could it be something else? I have good grounds clean all wire leads on motor. Before I buy a starter any other thoughts? It started maybe 7 time sense I put the motor in. maybe 1 hour on it. Thanks to all you smart people for your help.

JimN
08-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Help
I have 1976 Stars & Strips I just put a new motor in and it want start it did the starter does work but it is really slow and hardly turns the motor. Its not the battery could it be something else? I have good grounds clean all wire leads on motor. Before I buy a starter any other thoughts? It started maybe 7 time sense I put the motor in. maybe 1 hour on it. Thanks to all you smart people for your help.

How do you know it's not the battery? If you didn't have it load tested, do that before just saying the battery isn't the problem.

"I have good grounds clean all wire leads on motor."

Does this mean the battery cables are new, have been cleaned or they look clean? If the battery cables to the starter are original, that's the first place I would start. They can't last forever. Connect the existing battery + cable from the motor using a jumper cable as a substitute. If nothing changes, substitute the - cable. If it cranks better, replace the cables.

Check your timing- if it's advanced too far, it will crank hard.

Make sure the starter relay is well grounded (if you have one).

datsundave
08-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Jim for your input that helps all the cables are new aside from the wiring harness. But I did go ahead and pull all of them and sand them to make sure that they where clean. I pulled the battery had it tested put a battery from the other boat in it did the same thing. Then jumped the two battery together still did the same thing. I wandered about the timing I thought it could be advanced too far. I did drive it earlier in the summer it may have slipped it didn't start hard then. I will check the timing
Thanks Again Dave

btriantos
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a bad starter or solenoid