PDA

View Full Version : Driver commands ??

CantRepeat
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
What do you use?

I use what I was taught a long time ago.

Motor or motor out = take the slack out of the line but do not go and keep it in gear.

Go = well, means go.

Patting the top of your head = I'm done, IE take me back to the launch, stop point.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the patting the top of the head for a stop signal. We never had a good signal for that............ until now. Thanks

Cary K.
08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I encourage the use of the hand wave to signal you are OK after a hard fall. Lets me know that I don't need to rush back to the rider. (And usually means it's OK to start laughing / making smart@$$ comments to the rider).

Head patting is standard operating procedure for us.

Kevin@MWMC
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I encourage the use of the hand wave to signal you are OK after a hard fall. Lets me know that I don't need to rush back to the rider. (And usually means it's OK to start laughing / making smart@$$ comments to the rider).

Head patting is standard operating procedure for us.

Yeah, head patting is a universal "back to dock" sign. And I also like it when the people I'm pulling wave to let me know they are okay after a fall so I know I don't have to power turn back to them.

Not much else, except the obvious thumbs up or down for speed......

starman205
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
"In Gear" = Take up slack

"Yup" or "Hit It" = Go

Head Pat = I'm done or take me back to the dock

Monte
08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
"Tighten up" = take up slack

head nod accompanied by "yep"= Go

Point down= slow down

Point up= speed up

Hand back and forth across the neck like cutting your throat = done

My driver usually puts his/her arm up in the air and makes a circular motion when they are about to turn around.

flipper
08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
OOOHHHH $H!T means I'm falling

TMCNo1
08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Our daughter was taught a command at ski school over eight years, that covers about eveything if the driver is paying attention to his skier and is doing his job, "Boat Driver"! That says everything, meaning, I'm ready, are you?

FrankSchwab
08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
"Ready" or "Tighten up" - take out the slack.
"Arm it" - put it in gear. Taken from a buddy's Accuski cruise control that had an auto-pullup feature.
"Hit it" - hit it. I don't accept any other phrase here.
Head pat - done.

MCVOLS
08-14-2009, 04:06 PM
We also use the "boat driver" or " ok boat" to say I'm ready to the driver, and you can go when it is safe to do so. (I have the kids on video at age 2 yelling "Boat Driver" from the tube.)

I think this avoids confusion with "go" or "no" or "oh", etc.

Also use the thumbs up and thumbs down for speed, as well as the head pat for stop.

McDye
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
"Slack" - put in gear to take up slack and get ready for the go.
"Go" - hammer time
Thumb up - speed up
Thumb down - slow down
Hand cupped at ear - turn up the tunes
Done ready to stop - Hand back and forth across the neck like cutting your throat
Hard Fall - Hand wave, rider ok

BIGBADBLUE
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
For us ...

Boat Driver - Skier is ready
Pat Head - Return to dock or I am going to drop
Thumbs Up - Speed up (I rarely pay attention to this one with my kids)
Thumbs Down - Speed down (See prior comment)

3event
08-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Ditto, but:
"in gear" to get slack out.
I also use "driver ready?" to make sure my wife is ready for the barefoot deepwater start so I can take the deep breath. If she says OK, I suck it in and then yell GO.

This is a good reminder to go thru the signals with all the skiers, esp newbies.

I have to remind myself to tell learners , if something goes wrong/feels wrong/you fall, please LET GO ! When they don't it's funny from in the boat, but not so much on the rope end.

As a driver the most frequent command is "BE QUIET NOW I NEED TO HEAR THE SKIER" or maybe something less diplomatic over the noise of the kids !!!!

Hoosier Bob
08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Boat Driver!

Raise Hand OK after a fall!
Tap Head next skier.

Beer!:D

ProStar190Fan
08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Clear = clear of the boat/swim platform, ok to start the engine
Idle = put in gear to take slack
Neutral = take out of gear to much
Go = hit it, start moving, pull me up

CantRepeat
08-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I jsut couldn't see myself calling out to my wife saying, boat driver. I'm sure that would work at ski school very well.

One other command I use with the wife at the lake is, let me see um =

(yes friday night drinks)

Skipper
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
"gear" means tighten up the slack
"driver" or "boat driver" initiates the pull
Agreed, the hand wave to let the driver know the skier is okay is good

Hammer
08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Tighten up= tighten up
Hit it= hit it
Pat head= I'm done and getting in the boat
Hand across throat followed by a point to the side= I want a break but not done, pulling out
Wave after fall= I'm OK
Point up= faster
Point down= slower
Circle over head= turn around

wiltok
08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
There are all pretty much the ones we use - except for one. Take you hand, hold out two fingers downward and jab ends of fingers into thigh repeatedly. Translation: "stick a fork in me - I'm DONE!".

X-5 Driver
08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
A lot of good ideas here.

Mine:

raise handle over your head pre-takeoff=take up slack
I'll accept a number of verbal commands for take-off: hit it, go, proceed sir, rock & roll, gimme some.....as long as it is loud and I can hear it.
hand to ear=crank the tunes
thumbs up=faster
thumbs down=slower
Ok sign=speed is good
let go of handle in cruise flight=I'm done (that is pretty unambiguous)

Muttley
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I never use "go". It sounds too much like "whoa" and that's happened more than once. :(

"Hit It" (LOUD and clear!) = Go
Thumb up = Faster
Thumb down = Slower
Pat Head = I'd done, take me to the dock/beach or if I let go pick me up. (no pat means bring the rope around)
Hand across throat = cut the motor
"Slack!" = take up the slack
Vertical hand forward, motion to left or right = get the boat over in that direction (closer to shore for flatter water, usually)
Always wave after a wipe out to show you're okay.
Point = "Look at that!" ;)

Hollywood
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
In Gear = put the boat in gear
OK, Go, Hit It, Give it to me = Apply throttle
Pat on the head = I'm done. I'll give you a chance to whip me out or else I'm just letting go
Thumb up/down = +/- 1 mph
Thumbs up then arm up = speed up to step off speed
L shape with my thumb and index finger = give me a double up
Wave after crash = I'm ok

Footin
08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Gear - put the boat in gear

Giddy up - GO!

Arm in the air for a second after I fall hard means i'm ok

Tap my head - i'm done

2RLAKE
08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
i've tried to teach the kids all the ones that have been mentioned, and i think its most important for the kids. One of the most important ones for kids is the drop signal ... and making sure that they do when you tell them. We have several "events" with the idiotic waverunners each year. When one of them was attempting to decapitate my 8 year old earlier this year, she got scared and would not let go of the handle ... made it hard for me to make a fast turn and block her out. Now, when i tell her to drop, she just does it and asks why afterwards

dmminfla
08-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I think one of the most important signals is the wave OK. I tell the kids this every time we go out. Six months ago my 14 year old nephew that know's everething did a face plant on the wakeboard and, like a 14 year old would do layed in the water on his back without moving. I whipped the boat around and ran back to him and he started to laugh. Needless to say I reamed him a new one. We go over the hand signals before we go out with the kids.

We use:

Rope up in one hand over head= Take up slack
Hit It= Pull up
thumbs up= faster
thumbs down=slower
Tap the head= head home
palm down flat hand=speed is good
wave=OK

Tap
08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
When free skiing in the river, my dad used to point with two finger (peace sign) to one side of the boat or the other. Generally this mean "Look dummy there's a submerged (limb,log,stump) that you don't want to hit"

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Seems like some of these have become pretty universal.
1) Yep = go
2) Thumb up = speed up
3) Thumb down = slow down
4) Emphatic thumb down (with big swooping arm jesture) = slow WAY down. Going to do some surface tricks/spins
5) Wave after going down = I'm OK
6) Pat on your head = I'm done
7) Point with hand and arm = go that direction
8) A looping motion with an upward turned hand/finger while riding = turn around
9) A looping motion with a downward turned hand/finger while riding = turn around, but with double up
10) A point to a person in the boat followed by a direction = move over there to balance weight.
Last, and maybe the most important
11) Circling your hand over your head USUALLY after just dropping in = I'm peeing, so give me a minute! :rolleyes:

boxman3
08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
My kid's still yell "GO BOAT!!" that is enough said....

jclose8
08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
When my wife is driving, she watches me, takes up slack, then goes. When I'm done I let go.

Why so much fancy stuff?

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
When my wife is driving, she watches me, takes up slack, then goes. When I'm done I let go.

Why so much fancy stuff?

Clearly by your last few posts you are in another league from the rest of us.:confused: It's cool roll with it. And you never pull newbies.

c_craig
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Seems like some of these have become pretty universal.

Last, and maybe the most important
11) Circling your hand over your head USUALLY after just dropping in = I'm peeing, so give me a minute! :rolleyes:

That's the one I was waiting for. How to signal a nature break without yelling at the boat.:cool:

BTW, why so many signals for take slack out? As I driver, I am particularly careful to deliver the rope/handle, and adjust slack as I would want to. Drives me crazy when my 13 year old starts yelling at me about slack, etc.:mad:

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I like hammer's point to the side and slash throat for dropping for just a break.

trickskier
08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
What do you use?

I use what I was taught a long time ago.

Motor or motor out = take the slack out of the line but do not go and keep it in gear.

Go = well, means go.

Patting the top of your head = I'm done, IE take me back to the launch, stop point.

I never use "GO" sounds too much like "NO". My skier has to say Ready or OK.