PDA

View Full Version : Help driving thru Chicago

Ben
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Headed back to MI from MN tomorrow, and curious of the best way to get thru / around Chi-town. We took 80 to 294N on the way to MN, but the 294 part kinda sucked due to construction. Curious if 355 or 94 would be a better route on the way home. We'll unfortunately be passing thru tomorrow late afternoon around 3:30 which I know is bad... Any tips / hints, other than going around the top thru the UP?

Thanks.

2RLAKE
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Not sure where exactly where you are going to in MI, but we were in Oshkoh WI last week and took the high speed ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon MI and avoided the entire Chicago thing. It wasn't cheap ... think $180 for our Yukon and us, but I sat on the deck, watched the sunset with my wife and enjoyed a couple of beers

erkoehler
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
3:30 in the afternoon, it won't matter what expressway your on.....plan on it taking awhile!

Maristar210
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
3:30 in the afternoon, it won't matter what expressway your on.....plan on it taking awhile!

That is correct. I would add that 355 sucks *** especially bad in the afternoon.

2RLAKE
08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
then plan to stop at Chicago MC and buy something from Eric

cbryan70
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I would go 80 to 355....way better then 294 you will be going opposite of most traffic on 355 until you hit 290. 290 to 90 90 on up into wis.

Rockman
08-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I would go 80 to 355....way better then 294 you will be going opposite of most traffic on 355 until you hit 290. 290 to 90 90 on up into wis.

CB, he's going back to Michigan, not Minnesota so what you note above is wrong / backwards.

If you are coming from the north on 90, jump on 355 South at Schaumburg. Taking 355 South, it will get backed up near Butterfield thru the Baughton Toll with construction traffic but it's not bad. I take it everyday. Once you get past the Boughton Toll, it is free sailing to I80.

If I were you, I would tolerate the small amount of construction on Southbound 355 and take that to I80 East toward Indiana.

:twocents:

3event
08-13-2009, 04:44 PM
No great solution, timing is everything! Stop and have a nice dinner to make it as late as possible to go thru Chicago?

Try going into Chicago via I-90 not I-94, then S on 294?? Any Chicagoans want to comment on that? I94/294 north of Ohare are BAD. And now I94 is BAD in Wisconsin as well (from IL state line north)

Good luck!

Ben
08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys - I was thinking 355 may be a good bet. I know it's a crappy time, but I want to get to the hotel in Indiana in time for the kids to swim. If we went later, we'd miss that window. Just need to hit the road asap in the morning & push the pedal on the right...

captain planet
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Headed back to MI from MN tomorrow, and curious of the best way to get thru / around Chi-town. We took 80 to 294N on the way to MN, but the 294 part kinda sucked due to construction. Curious if 355 or 94 would be a better route on the way home. We'll unfortunately be passing thru tomorrow late afternoon around 3:30 which I know is bad... Any tips / hints, other than going around the top thru the UP?

Thanks.

Soooo, let me get this straight...you left michigan.....and want to go back?? :confused: Isn't that like going back to Shawshank?

Hi Steve. :wavey:

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!

cbryan70
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
CB, he's going back to Michigan, not Minnesota so what you note above is wrong / backwards.

If you are coming from the north on 90, jump on 355 South at Schaumburg. Taking 355 South, it will get backed up near Butterfield thru the Baughton Toll with construction traffic but it's not bad. I take it everyday. Once you get past the Boughton Toll, it is free sailing to I80.

If I were you, I would tolerate the small amount of construction on Southbound 355 and take that to I80 East toward Indiana.

:twocents:

Yup had it backwards he is DEAD on if your flying through there right now your half ok, your prolly lookin at about a 25-45 min delay right at butterfield to the baughton toll.

Ben
08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Soooo, let me get this straight...you left michigan.....and want to go back?? :confused: Isn't that like going back to Shawshank?

Hi Steve. :wavey:

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!

Heck yes. A lot more lakes in Michigan than Ohio (which I'm originally from). I went to college in Athens, so I could careless about college football, I'll watch whatever is on as lond as there are cold beverages). Besides, I wanted to move where i thought my home price would drop the most. So far, I'm doing well at that...

captain planet
08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Heck yes. A lot more lakes in Michigan than Ohio (which I'm originally from). I went to college in Athens, so I could careless about college football, I'll watch whatever is on as lond as there are cold beverages). Besides, I wanted to move where i thought my home price would drop the most. So far, I'm doing well at that...

Sorry Ben, I was just joking. Maristar210 and myself go back and forth with one another about OSU and michigan. When I saw he was on this thread, I thought I would have a little fun at your expense. No harm intended. I just couldn't help myself.

College in Athens? Which school?

Ben
08-13-2009, 10:54 PM
No worries. I really could careless though. Wife is a buckeye & I lived in c-bus for 4 yrs... If anything, I like Michigan better since I like blue better than red. Plus, Ann Arbor is more like Athens, rather than the friggin hood OSU is in. Took some evening classes there.

Which school? The one that is usually tied for last in the MAC w/Akron or Canton, resulting in the "Toilet Bowl" game..

Ben
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
How stupid would it be to take 39 down from Rockford to 80? I know it's out of the way?

peason
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
You won't hit any traffic until you head east on 80, it might be your best bet. If you leave early though - and get to Chicago before 2:00 PM I would think you will be okay going 355, but it has been a long time since I have made that drive.

cbryan70
08-14-2009, 12:40 AM
How stupid would it be to take 39 down from Rockford to 80? I know it's out of the way?

This ispretty far out of the way. You could be stuck for an hour on 355 and still be at the same time...... Takes 40 min to get from naperville to 39 on 88 in good traffic not even sure where 80 hits 39

Rockman
08-14-2009, 12:41 AM

That is really out of the way. You actually will be losing time as the mileage is quite high as you go too far south.

Stick with 355..I'm on it everyday. It won't be that bad.

RM

Ben
08-14-2009, 11:54 PM
That is really out of the way. You actually will be losing time as the mileage is quite high as you go too far south.

Stick with 355..I'm on it everyday. It won't be that bad.

RM

Thanks again, 355 worked out much better. Only slow part to the drive was the guy on 80 whose porta potties had came off the trailer by the quarry near Indiana line. Some things you just never expect...