PDA

View Full Version : My GM truck needs more power!

Jerseydave
08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

I don't want to get involved in engine work (cam, heads, etc.)

Any magic solution?

nmcjr
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
My experience has been that the programmers really only add significant power with diesels because with diesels they can tweak the turbo boost. With a gas engine, there is only so much that can be done electronically. I tend not to believe the HP gain claims that a lot of the aftermarket parts manufacturers make.

The easiest/best way IMHO to add serious power to a gas engine is with a supercharger, but this is not an easy "magic" solution, nor is it inexpensive.

Ubugme2
08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.

Ubugme2
08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
All of the things that are installed on my truck where installed by me in my driveway with simple tools. They where not that hard to do if you know a little about trucks or if you can read instrutions.

canadianskier
08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.

thats is the same thing i done to a friends truck, makes some good power and the basics for more later. I also installed a bigger throttle body,then three months later came the new injectors paxton supercharger. 397hp at the rear wheel now

D3skier
08-12-2009, 11:31 PM
good HP gain would be the upgraded exhaust. and if you know someone in the muffler business have them knock out the cat.... (I didn't say that) and go bigger pipe from the cat back

mgurley
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I have been doing some reading and the newer chevy's have "Torque Management" installed in the performance curve. Only two ways I know of to remove it... Predator programmer or HP tuners software. HP tuners is very much customizeable but from what I have read has a very steep learning curve. The predator seems to be the logical choice of all the options for the novice but you are getting a "Canned Tune" with limited adjustability...it is the only hanheld I know of that allows you to reduce torque management.

JimN
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

Any magic solution?

Make it breathe faster and better.

coz
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Any magic solution?

Not magic but it's the solution :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/1086681597_dd94cf2ca2_o.jpg

Jimmauburn
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
COZ that is a severe buzzkill for all of us who drive CHEVY !!!!! We can power up our Chevy's not to mention they ride better and don't have near as many squeaks on the interior.

D3skier
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM

if you want more problems anyway....

honestly these days it's probably six in one and six in the other to just a matter of what you prefer. just don't buy a Nissan cuz they won't stand behind their repairs for warranty.

x-10ron
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
any of the ls series motors 4.8/5.3/6.0 really response to high flow exhaust, meaning long tube headers (not the shortys), cold air/high flow intake, and a good tune. i've been a gm tech for 16 years now and have done many performance up grades to vettes,f-bodies the 2004 and newer gto's and have seen 40 rwhp increase with these mod's. dyno tuning the is the way to go hand held tuners can be used but not with the same results, every car and truck are different and you have to take in account location,alt,humidity and air density. you could also change your rockerarm ratio for the stock 1.6 to 1.72 or the 1.8's that would be like changing your cam profile with out opening up the motor.

Ric
08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I tried a westers custom tune once. I was AMAZED at the way the 6.0 ran with a custom tune.

Some folks have great luck with them, but while my tune made the 6.0 run like a champ, it created shift issues and clatter... 4 tunes and 5 meetings later, the westers rep fried my ecm and I had to tow the truck to the dealer...... I haven't messed with a tuner since :rolleyes:

any of the ls series motors 4.8/5.3/6.0 really response to high flow exhaust, meaning long tube headers (not the shortys), cold air/high flow intake, and a good tune. i've been a gm tech for 16 years now and have done many performance up grades to vettes,f-bodies the 2004 and newer gto's and have seen 40 rwhp increase with these mod's. dyno tuning the is the way to go hand held tuners can be used but not with the same results, every car and truck are different and you have to take in account location,alt,humidity and air density. you could also change your rockerarm ratio for the stock 1.6 to 1.72 or the 1.8's that would be like changing your cam profile with out opening up the motor.

JimN
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM

He didn't ask how to have ignition switches that burn, he wants more power from his truck.

There's a reason the Explorer is called 'Exploder', ya know.

stuartmcnair
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree with coz...get a Ford Diesel if you need power...

rspiecha
08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
The GM diesel is pretty strong also:)

Rob

ProStar190Fan
08-14-2009, 12:36 AM

doesn't ford stand for found on road dead?

yep you guessed it i have a yukon:D.

bradamerry
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
First On Race Day!

Forrest-X45
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
First On Race Day!

No no no...... It's F#$ked On Race Day!! :D

Ric
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree with coz...get a Ford Diesel if you need power...
Oh nooooooooooooooooo Another diesel thread!

RexDog1
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
This will not help you with your Power problem .sorry there are no Magic Solutions to HP

I did find a little help for a turbo engine I have a 2500HD Duramax and I put in a turbo boost controller in it, when I need more HP I just turn up the boost!!!! Very easy to install and works!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=355

djhuff
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree with Coz!!!

But really, I saw a HUGE improvement on my truck by swapping the factory exhaust, I also replaced the Y pipe, but I don't think you have the same restriction there as I did. V10s sound funky without some exhaust modification, and the factory chose to restrict flow to make them sound better. Seeing as I don't care about such things, I opened it back up for some major gains.

Making the engine breathe better will add some power, I would start there since you are not hurting anything internal, just removing restrictions so the power you are already making is going to the wheels instead of breathing.

Another trick (don't know about chevy's too much) is getting rid of the mechanical fan on the front of the engine and replacing it with an electrical one, greatly reduces drag on the engine.

Rockman
08-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Come on guys...give Coz a break.

95% of Fords built since 1999 are still on the road.:headbang:

The other 5% made it home safely. :D

Ubugme2
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM
thats is the same thing i done to a friends truck, makes some good power and the basics for more later. I also installed a bigger throttle body,then three months later came the new injectors paxton supercharger. 397hp at the rear wheel now

I will look into the bigger throttle body. If I had six grand laying around I would buy forced injection for sure!

ROB
08-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I agree with Jim, it's all about how it breathes, in and out. For about $600 you can get yourself an extra 30hp. Air intake, cat back.

Jerseydave
08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I agree with Jim, it's all about how it breathes, in and out. For about $600 you can get yourself an extra 30hp. Air intake, cat back.

No doubt a new cat-back system will help........I'm sure my stock muffler with (2) inlets and (2) outlets is not breathing too well. Will probably go that route soon.

squishd
08-17-2009, 12:52 AM
I am a big fan of PPE stuff. I have one on my d-max and like it a lot. I have had really good luck with them and they are great people to work with. I run mine on level 2 (tow haul) all the time.

Ric
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
hahahahha so true

Come on guys...give Coz a break.

95% of Fords built since 1999 are still on the road.:headbang:

The other 5% made it home safely. :D

lav
08-17-2009, 10:39 PM
If I wasn't building a garage this year I would be putting one of these on :)

http://www.ststurbo.com/

JimN
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
If I wasn't building a garage this year I would be putting one of these on :)

http://www.ststurbo.com/

You know, I don't think anyone here would point fingers at you for cutting a few corners on the garage, to make it possible to get the extra power you need.

SOCALX45
08-18-2009, 03:49 AM
I put a hypertech programmer on my 08 chevy 6.0L. I can tell a difference druisin and takin off. but cant really feel any difference towing. They have two tuning categories...reg fuel and prem fuel. I havent tried prem fuel. i have been meaning to do so. By truck is also lifted 6 inches with 37 in tires so that makes a diff as well

lav
08-18-2009, 06:15 AM
[QUOTE=JimN;624686]You know, I don't think anyone here would point fingers at you for cutting a few corners on the garage, to make it possible to get the extra power you need.[/QUOTE

Jim I know nobody here will be upset but I can't convince the wife that we can just have gravel floor LOL plus I need concrete to hold down PEX tubing so the boat doesnt get cold in the winter. :)

MIMC
08-18-2009, 09:46 AM
You just knew that this "Detroit-er" wasn't gonna pass on this thread!

FORD = Fu#@ed Over Rebuilt Dodge! :D

If you need more power than what the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 offer AND you want reliability (important to me) than you need a Duramax! Just my 2 cents!

MIMC

flat broke
08-19-2009, 01:55 AM

Any magic solution?

NJSKIER

Sorry bro not trying to be rude but save your self the wasted money time and effort and disappointment. And step up and get a diesel I have towed crap with gas motors for years and will never own a gas motor for towing ever AGAIN! A diesel is day and night difference and you will get a HUGE difference in fuel economy. You will wish you had done it sooner and you will be smiling ear to ear the first couple of times you tow with it! I don't care if you buy a ford gm or dodge just get one that is not lifted. Just remember real trucks do not have SPARK PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!