PDA

View Full Version : BW Velvet Drive 10-17-002 1:1 Transmission in '79 Skier

Sidewinder
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Greetings,

I have a BW Velvet Drive 10-17-002 1:1 Transmission in '79 Skier and have a few questions.

1. What colour is the tranny fluid supposed to be? I'm used to tranny fluid being red, but when I checked mine it's kind of a coffee w/ cream colour.
2. Is this a sign of water possibly in the transmission? The fluid doesn't appear to be frothy nor does it have a burned smell to it.
3. Should I warm it up to change it or will pumping it out when cold be sufficient?

I've attached a couple pics of it. The tranny appears really oily b/c the boat took on water (I think the stbd exhaust hose leaked while it was at the dock), but it didn't appear to get in the transmission, so I sprayed the exterior of it iot avoid any rust.

Sidewinder
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
The "taking on water" thread is located here:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31833

rholmes
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
You definitely have water in the transmission. It should be a clear dark red color.

You will need to flush the tranny a couple of times to remove the contaminated fluid. best course of action there is to drain, refill, start up boat for a few minutes, shut down the motor, drain and refill, repeat until the color is no longer tinted (no froth, no elmers glue, no creamer, you get the picture).

hkallestad
08-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I guess you should look for the cause of water in your tranny oil first, check your oil cooler, probably leaking?

TMCNo1
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I guess you should look for the cause of water in your tranny oil first, check your oil cooler, probably leaking?

This could very well be the reason for water in the transmission, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31833

Sidewinder
08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,
I attempted to drain it the other day, but the pump I hadn't didn't work so I picked another up today and I'll finish draining it tomorrow.

I suspect it may be the transmission cooler vs the "bath" that the transmission took b/c I paddled it to the ramp and hauled it out iot avoid any additional problems. The boat hasn't been started since the transmission was submerged.

The transmission cooler appears to be in a "fun" spot to access under the exhaust manifold on the stbd side of the engine... I can't wait to try and remove it! ;)

hkallestad
08-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Water in bilge shouldn't find it's way in to the tranny, unless you really drown it I guess, maybee then you would get water in trough a faulty breather or a leaking dipstick.

CantRepeat
08-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I suspect it may be the transmission cooler vs the "bath" that the transmission took b/c I paddled it to the ramp and hauled it out iot avoid any additional problems. The boat hasn't been started since the transmission was submerged.

The transmission cooler appears to be in a "fun" spot to access under the exhaust manifold on the stbd side of the engine... I can't wait to try and remove it! ;)

This may have saved you.

Like everyone else here, find the source of the water and change the fuild. I would ever change it a second time after a few hours of use.

Goodluck to you, sir.

Sidewinder
08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Greetings,

I finally have the transmission drained / changed. My intention is to launch the boat and run it until it's warmed up, check it and run for nmt 1/2 hr or so, check and change again.

I debated removing the tranny cooler, but figured I'd try changing / running / changing it and see what happens as the trany cooler looks more like a winter project based on my limited time right now.

Question:
The I pumped the transmission fluid into a plastic 2 litre pop bottle and it still looks the same after a couple days. I would have expected it to separate into distinct layers the way bad gas / water in gas would. Should it have separated if there were water in it?

TRBenj
08-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I finally have the transmission drained / changed. My intention is to launch the boat and run it until it's warmed up, check it and run for nmt 1/2 hr or so, check and change again.
I hate to break it to you, but youre going to have to change it at least 5-7 times to flush all that water out. Run it in gear briefly between each change to recirculate the water through the fluid. Keep flushing until all the milkiness is gone. You'll want to buy the fluid by the gallon!