PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/water separator question

Gary Huffaker
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I have a 1992 MC Prostar 205, ford 351 block with a Holley carb. I am looking to change the fuel/water separator and it looks like it will unscrew, similar to the oil filter. Is this correct? thanks.

Double D
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a 1992 MC Prostar 205, ford 351 block with a Holley carb. I am looking to change the fuel/water separator and it looks like it will unscrew, similar to the oil filter. Is this correct? thanks.

Yep, just changed mine the other day. Same as an oil filter and installs the same way, with a little oil on the seal. Just make sure you shut off the fuel from the tank first or you'll have a pool of gas in your bildge. :rolleyes:

rholmes
08-12-2009, 10:24 AM
There are two types of fuel seperators, the spin off type like an oil filter and the cartridge type that is an insert in a metal bowl. I don't know what year they changed, but on my '90 Indmar 351w, I have the bowl type. It is on the starboard side stringer about level with the fron of the motor. It comes from the factory gold in color, about as big around as a coke can with a dome shape on the bottom and a nut on the bottom and the top of the housing where the fuel lines enter. It might still have the decal on them, and it would probably read "Parker Racor 110". My local west marine carries them, and they are around $20 for the replacement filter. I think ski-dim has them for a little less

east tx skier
08-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Yep, just changed mine the other day. Same as an oil filter and installs the same way, with a little oil on the seal. Just make sure you shut off the fuel from the tank first or you'll have a pool of gas in your bildge. :rolleyes:

Other than being careful not to spill the fuel in the filter itself, I don't think you need to do any shutoff in the fuel chain to change this filter or the fuel filter element near the pump. I never did when I replaced it on my 93 each spring.

TMCNo1
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
You may also have a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump in a small canister held on by a spring loop and bolt, and it takes this filter element, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3943

Double D
08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Other than being careful not to spill the fuel in the filter itself, I don't think you need to do any shutoff in the fuel chain to change this filter or the fuel filter element near the pump. I never did when I replaced it on my 93 each spring.

You may be correct, but I know the first time I did it I had gas everywhere, had to turn the garage heater off, and expose the warm garage to freezing cold weather to get rid of the fumes. As much gas as was there I dont think it came from spilling the filter, but that was years ago. :confused:

Shane21
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I know I thought the same thing about mine the 1st time I pulled it off, but I was wrong. There is a bolt that went through the bottom that you had to unscrew. It drove me crazy to the point that I had to take the whole thing off and was going to put it in a vise when I noticed the bolt. I wish I had some pics to show, but I don't. Make sure there isn't a bolt in the bottom before you tear it up trying to unscrew it like an oil filter. I bought the replacement cartridge at West Marine.

east tx skier
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I know I thought the same thing about mine the 1st time I pulled it off, but I was wrong. There is a bolt that went through the bottom that you had to unscrew. It drove me crazy to the point that I had to take the whole thing off and was going to put it in a vise when I noticed the bolt. I wish I had some pics to show, but I don't. Make sure there isn't a bolt in the bottom before you tear it up trying to unscrew it like an oil filter. I bought the replacement cartridge at West Marine.

For what it's worth, there are two different filters. The OP is referring to the fuel water separator that spins on like an oil filter gasket and all. Sounds like you're referring to the fuel filter element that has a housing secured with a nut and a swing away bracket.