PDA

View Full Version : light squealing from Raw water pump at idle

DooSPX
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I have a light squealing from the raw water pump at idle, but as soon as you give even a hint of gas in neutral or in gear it stops.
I have no cooling issues, but is it okay to use the boat like this. I dont run it hard, never go WOT, but I dont want to chance overheating it.

trickskier
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
It's just telling you that it's time to change the impeller.

DooSPX
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I just changed the impeller last year, but the boat as not been used as our lake has been WAY to low even for a outboard till now with the rain.

BTW, how is it going trickskier... long time no see.
I havent been on for a long time.

trickskier
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I just changed the impeller last year, but the boat as not been used as our lake has been WAY to low even for a outboard till now with the rain.

BTW, how is it going trickskier... long time no see.
I havent been on for a long time.

The impeller probably has a set in it from sitting so long without use. I was always told that the squealing sound meant it need to be changed. As long as it's not overheating, I would run it for a week or two and see if it goes away.

I'm doing fine - Not on here as much as I used to be. How are you doing?

bigmac
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I would be less concerned about the impeller and more concerned about the pump bearing. A wet neoprene impeller shouldn't makes any squealing.

The pump itself has a pulley on it as part of the serpentine system, doesn't it? Are you sure it's not the belt that's squealing?

trickskier
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I would be less concerned about the impeller and more concerned about the pump bearing. A wet neoprene impeller shouldn't makes any squealing.

The pump itself has a pulley on it as part of the serpentine system, doesn't it? Are you sure it's not the belt that's squealing?

I would tend to think that a bearing or belt squeal would not go away at higer RPM's.

TMCNo1
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM
It's just telling you that it's time to change the impeller.

I agree fully. If you pull the impeller, the vanes may not be gone or badly torn, but will have little notches worn where the vanes rub the edges of the inlet and outlet holes of the housing. Been there, done that.

Sodar
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
How sure are you guys? I was just complaining to the GF about the squeal ONLY at idle. I was going to attempt to fix it tonight after work. Is it really the impeller? I too was thinking it had to be the belt or bearing, but as always, you guys know best!

I have the original impeller in the boat... 3 seasons and 120 hours later.

DooSPX
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
thank you guys... I will run it and see how it goes...

im doing alright I guess... going through some tough relationship problems and a very lonely house if you get my drift.

trickskier
08-11-2009, 02:05 PM

im doing alright I guess... going through some tough relationship problems and a very lonely house if you get my drift.

Sorry to hear about that - Time heals all wounds - I know!!!

trickskier
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
How sure are you guys? I was just complaining to the GF about the squeal ONLY at idle. I was going to attempt to fix it tonight after work. Is it really the impeller? I too was thinking it had to be the belt or bearing, but as always, you guys know best!

I have the original impeller in the boat... 3 seasons and 120 hours later.

I'll bet you a COLD Budweiser!!!

Sodar
08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll bet you a COLD Budweiser!!!

You got it! 8p

And a COLD Coors Light if you are wrong, OK?

bigmac
08-11-2009, 02:07 PM

After my alternator bracket broke, I had a squeal that only occured at idle. Went away as the engine throttled up. Pretty routine finding for a bad belt, IMHO.

My approach would be to get back there with a spray bottle and some water and spray the belt. If it doesn't go away, I'd try shooting some WD40 at the back of the raw water pump. If it doesn't go away, I'd replace the impeller. If it doesn't go away, I'd get in there with a stethoscope and find out if it's a bad alternator bearing, a bad circulating pump bearing, a bad raw water pump bearing. Or a bad or mis-tensioned belt.

Tom023
08-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I have that too, comes and goes, new or old impellers. If you put slight pressure on the pump cover does it go away (be careful lots of moving parts there)? I've determined in my case it's nothing more than that and not an issue.

trickskier
08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
You got it! 8p

And a COLD Coors Light if you are wrong, OK?

Absolutely - Let me know if the squeal goes away............:D

trickskier
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
After my alternator bracket broke, I had a squeal that only occured at idle. Went away as the engine throttled up. Pretty routine finding for a bad belt, IMHO.

My approach would be to get back there with a spray bottle and some water and spray the belt. If it doesn't go away, I'd try shooting some WD40 at the back of the raw water pump. If it doesn't go away, I'd replace the impeller. If it doesn't go away, I'd get in there with a stethoscope and find out if it's a bad alternator bearing, a bad circulating pump bearing, a bad raw water pump bearing. Or a bad or mis-tensioned belt.

Can you buy a good quality stethoscope at Wal-Mart?

TMCNo1
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear about that - Time heals all wounds - I know!!!
Unfortunately, times does not heal impellers, so I'd suggest you carry a spare impeller and female partner, just in case.............................................. :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Can you buy a good quality stethoscope at Wal-Mart?
As a part time Gynocologist, that where I buy all my medical equipment.
A 3 foot or so, 1/2" dia. wooden dowel rod placed against a part in the area of the noise and against the ear will accomplish just about the same result.

hz900
08-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Just had the same exact thing happen and we have the same boat. It was the water pump starting to go out, I would assume the shaft bearings. The boat would run just fine and cool, I just changed the pump out because I don't take chances on things like that and the squeal was quite annoying at idle, especially when the boat was cold. Once I got the engine good and warmed up and didn't let it sit for to long at a time throughout the day it never came back.

Although when I fixed that I was checking for leaks and found that the impeller was leaking out the seal in the back of the housing. Seems like every thing I fix I find one more thing that needs attention :(

mdskier
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I had a similar problem in my '99 Maristar. It would squeal at idle and go away as soon throttle was applied. I replaced the belt and it went a way for a couple of hours. It turned out to be the tensioner. I replaced the tensioner as the spring inside must have failed. Now no more squeal.

justinlkgb
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Interesting thread....my boat (91 Maristar) squeals too,but only the first 15 seconds it fires up though, then no more for the rest of the day. I too have an impeller that is from last season. I thought it was the belt...maybe condensation or water from earlier.

Justin

trickskier
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Interesting thread....my boat (91 Maristar) squeals too,but only the first 15 seconds it fires up though, then no more for the rest of the day. I too have an impeller that is from last season. I thought it was the belt...maybe condensation or water from earlier.

Justin

I think your squeals were from inside the boat and had nothing to do with anything mechanical..................:rolleyes:

Splash
08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi there!

Today I've this squealing on my RTP. Only at idle. Any ideas if it is the impeller or maybe bearings on pump or alternator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6mKfvOYVMI

thanks!
:)

slushpup
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Belt is loose. Tighten it or (if serpentine)replace belt and tensioner.

bigmac
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a light squealing from the raw water pump at idle, but as soon as you give even a hint of gas in neutral or in gear it stops.
I have no cooling issues, but is it okay to use the boat like this. I dont run it hard, never go WOT, but I dont want to chance overheating it.

What did you finally decide? Belt or impeller?

MariStar-Man
08-20-2009, 03:38 AM
I hope you got it fixed..nothing more annoying than an squeal...

Sodar
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I popped my impeller out last week and it looked to be in great condition after 150 hours and 2 years. I put the impeller back in, but I put it back in the opposite direction (front of the impeller is now the back). Skied all weekend without the squeak/squeal coming back.

Tricky, I owe you are Bud! :D

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a slight squeek coming from my water pump area. I've always had it since the boat was new. I contacted a very knowledgeable source from this site (MYMC) and he stated (IIRC) that it could be ceramic bushing in the water pump...or something like that. I can't remember what he said exactly, but if you PM/call him he might be able to help you more concretely.

I've been running mine since new like that and never had any issues, other than the slight annoyance while at idle.

Ray's Sportstar
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM

My engine did the same thing last weekend – a slight squeek (chirping sound) at an idle that went away at higher RPMs. Temperature gauge never showed an overheating condition however after idling on the lake for perhaps five minutes I found the engine acted as though it was fuel starved when I put a demand on it (it wouldn't accelerate and the engine would bog). It would continue to idle though. I tried three times to accelerate with the same results. My brother said steam seemed to be coming out of the exhaust. I shut the motor off for a few minutes and restarted. It started and ran normally under a load after that albeit the chirping while idling.

I found that the water pump was not moving water at an idle. I found this while the boat was trailered and the intake was coupled to an inlet water supply. The pump would work at higher RPMs as evidenced by water coming out of the exhausts but the water would stop while idling.

I’ll be talking with a Mastercraft dealer today. There could be an obstruction in the intake line that the pump cannot overcome at idle speed and/or the impellers may be too worn or damaged to lift the water from under the boat (pull a suction) at the lower RPM.

I bought my 1999 boat about two months ago. I’m the third owner and just recently downloaded a 2000 owner’s manual from the Mastercraft site (none available for my year model). It states that the water pump should be replaced every year for the 2000 series boats, which probably is the same for mine.

8-29 Follow-up
The last owner said he'd replaced the raw water impeller - I didn't know enough to ask him when. The boat ran fine when I gave it a test run and it's been running fine until it glitched last weekend.

My almost local dealer told me yesterday that [some of] the Mastercraft engines have a thermal protection design like a governor of sorts which limits the RPMs to the efficiency of the raw water flow (engine performance is limited to the engine temperature). This helps to prevent engine damage in the event of impeller wearing (lucky for me!)

I'll be doing an inspection of this every year along with all of the other recommended Mastercraft maintenance.

And I'll find out today if the chirping sound was caused by the worn impeller.

8-29 pm
Chirping stopped. Engine temp running 30 deg less at about 150F.

Tom023
08-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Not that it matters because the vanes will flip immediately upon initial rotation, but the new impeller is installed with the vanes bent in the wrong direction. The pump will rotate counter clockwise so the bent vanes need to be flipped back the other way.

TMCNo1
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
My engine did the same thing last weekend a slight squeek (chirping sound) at an idle that went away at higher RPMs. Temperature gauge never showed an overheating condition however after idling on the lake for perhaps five minutes I found the engine acted as though it was fuel starved when I put a demand on it (it wouldn't accelerate and the engine would bog). It would continue to idle though. I tried three times to accelerate with the same results. My brother said steam seemed to be coming out of the exhaust. I shut the motor off for a few minutes and restarted. It started and ran normally under a load after that albeit the chirping while idling.

I found that the water pump was not moving water at an idle. I found this while the boat was trailered and the intake was coupled to an inlet water supply. The pump would work at higher RPMs as evidenced by water coming out of the exhausts but the water would stop while idling.

Ill be talking with a Mastercraft dealer today. There could be an obstruction in the intake line that the pump cannot overcome at idle speed and/or the impellers may be too worn or damaged to lift the water from under the boat (pull a suction) at the lower RPM.

I bought my 1999 boat about two months ago. Im the third owner and just recently downloaded a 2000 owners manual from the Mastercraft site (none available for my year model). It states that the water pump should be replaced every year for the 2000 series boats, which probably is the same for mine.

8-29 Follow-up
The last owner said he'd replaced the raw water impeller - I didn't know enough to ask him when. The boat ran fine when I gave it a test run and it's been running fine until it glitched last weekend.

My almost local dealer told me yesterday that [some of] the Mastercraft engines have a thermal protection design like a governor of sorts which limits the RPMs to the efficiency of the raw water flow (engine performance is limited to the engine temperature). This helps to prevent engine damage in the event of impeller wearing (lucky for me!)

I'll be doing an inspection of this every year along with all of the other recommended Mastercraft maintenance.

And I'll find out today if the chirping sound was caused by the worn impeller.

8-29 pm
Chirping stopped. Engine temp running 30 deg less at about 150F.

I rest my case.

bigmac
08-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I rest my case.

Appropriate, if your case is that squealing from the back of the boat could be water pump bearings, bad belt, bad belt tensioner, or bad impeller.

Jim@BAWS
08-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Not that it matters .

It does'nt!!!

DOOSPX..good to see you posting and better yet using that boat

TMCNo1
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Appropriate, if your case is that squealing from the back of the boat could be water pump bearings, bad belt, bad belt tensioner, or bad impeller.
Right, once all the other items has been addressed and eliminated and the only thing left is the impeller, unless, like me I check that first just from experience.
Early on, when I first noticed a squeeling, and it appeared to be coming from the rear of the engine, I did the dowel rod listening test and traced the sound all the way to the front of the engine coming from the raw water pump, that was back in the early/mid '90's. Since then, I've had the squeeling happen twice, once in the driveway, replaced the impeller and it went away and once on the lake and replaced it in 10 minutes using my onboard spare. I also had a fellow owner we boated with and it happened to him, I told him what it was and at the boat ramp outside the no wake zone we replaced his impeller with his spare and the squeeling went away. None of the 3 impellers were torn up like the impeller of the gentleman in the above post, but there were worn areas on the vanes that ran over the inlet and discharge opening of the pump housing, apparently just enough wear to make noise.
What I'm surprise about is MasterCraft Warranty/Tech Services was made aware of this noise back in the day, confirmed to me that yes, they knew that a worn impeller made the squeeling noise from their past experiences, yet has not bothered to pass the word along to dealers/service techs/owners. So be it, I'll just use it for my maintenance knowledge.

bigmac
08-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I still don't understand why you didn't use your stethoscope.

TMCNo1
08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I still don't understand why you didn't use your stethoscope.

Don't have one, nor do I have a exam room table with stirrups!:rolleyes::D

Hey, I'm a redneck, I used to use a shovel handle!

trickskier
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I popped my impeller out last week and it looked to be in great condition after 150 hours and 2 years. I put the impeller back in, but I put it back in the opposite direction (front of the impeller is now the back). Skied all weekend without the squeak/squeal coming back.

Tricky, I owe you are Bud! :D

Good, I'm thirsty!!! :friday:

Sodar
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
It came back last weekend. Smooth as butter when I was up at Betsy's lake and then I used it last weekend and the squeal/squeak was back. Impeller looked fine, but maybe it is time for a new one.

MariStar-Man
09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I had a squeal too...But when i opened the hatch, the neighbors cat jumped out...lol Good thing I didn't start it up first...8p

Fortunately, i was able to get a shot of him on his way out...

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/s/scared_cat_face-12308.jpg

DooSPX
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
thanks jim... i am going to take the boat out this weekend. we will see what happens.
How are you Jim?