PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking through hull at drive shaft

84MC
08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I finally found a pesky leak this past weekend. After pulling the floor board over the tranny and drive shaft I noticed water slowly leaking in through two small cracks - one on either side of where the drive shaft goes through the hull. The photos show the cracks and the water drops. Anyone ever deal with this before? Any risks associated with running the boat like this until I can get it repaired? What the heck would cause something like this? THANKS.

ski_king
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
.. What the heck would cause something like this? THANKS.
My guess is the previous owner hit something.

Does it look like the shaft, prop or strut has been replaced or is damaged?
Do you notice any vibration?

JimN
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Look at it from underneath- if it has visible cracks, the stress and pressure will cause it to crack further. In order for this to be repaired properly, it will have to be completely dry, especially if you live in a place that gets extremely cold in winter. Trapped water will expand and cause it to crack again.

84MC
08-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I got under the boat last night to inspect things from there and couldn't see anything suspicous. The prop, shaft and strut are all in great shape. However, two of the spines are slightly bent and there has been some repair work to the hull in some places, leading me to believe that the boat hit something at some point.

I live in VT where it gets COLD in the winter. Does the whole section of the hull need to be rebuilt? Any issue with running it like this until the end of the season?

JimN
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I got under the boat last night to inspect things from there and couldn't see anything suspicous. The prop, shaft and strut are all in great shape. However, two of the spines are slightly bent and there has been some repair work to the hull in some places, leading me to believe that the boat hit something at some point.

I live in VT where it gets COLD in the winter. Does the whole section of the hull need to be rebuilt? Any issue with running it like this until the end of the season?

I would say it hit something, too and how bad it is to keep running it this way depends on where the cracks go and how much de-lamination has occurred.

Talk to a good fiberglass shop.

ski_king
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I would be concerned about water trapped between the hull and inner liner.

tph
08-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think there is any inner liner at that location. I had a similar leak in my '89 and had to remove the propeller shaft port assembly reinstall it with epoxy and laminate it back into the hull. Works fine now.

I would be concerned about water trapped between the hull and inner liner.

84MC
08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks tph. Would love to learn more about exactly what you did on the repair. I sent you a PM to this regard.

hkallestad
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
I have exactly the same leak. How did you get the port out? I gues I have to cut it out?

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I had the same issue, but on the 88 there is a visible metal piece there. I don't see one in the pictures you provided so I am not sure if the rubber hose goes over fiberglass or what?

hkallestad
09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Mine's 89, I have the metal fitting, feel free to feed us with your repair procedure;-)

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Two MC dealers, two answers.

1. Cut part out grind off old fiberglass, replace part, relaminate with fiberglass.

2. Pull metal part out, apply sealant/epoxy, push into place allow to cure completely.

Not sure why the answers are so different. Both came from old MC guys.

hkallestad
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess option 1 is the best one, but then you have ot align it. How does the metal part look, easy to pull out, or does it have rigdes making it hard to pull out? Is it possible to buy the part anywhere?

84MC
09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry for being out of touch. I've been away from TT for a while. I am not addressing this issue until next spring. At which time I will be happy to share what I find.

Sad to say WINTERIZING is now on the agenda here in Vermont...