PDA

View Full Version : Barrel roll on an Air Chair?

CantRepeat
08-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Just wondering how much speed is normally need to pull of the barrel roll on an Air Chair.

SkiDog
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
About 20 mph. From what I can see, the faster you go, the easier the trick is on you.

CantRepeat
08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok, that's about what I'm at now, maybe a little faster.

I was working on my landings yesterday. I'm thinking next weekend I'll work on the roll.

CantRepeat
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Sometimes you just know it wont end up good, no matter how hard you try.

SkiDog
08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Looks like you got plenty of height on your jumps. Are you doing Inverts yet or just trying rolls? Watching videos, it looks like rolls are easier than inverts, but from what i hear, most people in the know say to do inverts FIRST.:confused::confused::confused:

tex
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Speed-Whatever you are comfortable jumping at. I like 22mph. Here is a lowflyer!

Jerseydave
08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I've been trying some dismount gainers, I'm almost there!

Have not even tried a wake roll yet but can do W2W jumps which I think is a pre-requisite??

You may want to either try a dismount gainer (back-flip after letting go of handle) or an air-roll (backroll without using the wake) I'm no expert but they might be a good place to start.

SkiDog
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Have not even tried a wake roll yet but can do W2W jumps which I think is a pre-requisite??

You may want to either try a dismount gainer (back-flip after letting go of handle) or an air-roll (backroll without using the wake) I'm no expert but they might be a good place to start.

I'm headed to the 2009 Ga. Mountain Fly-In this weekend, so maybe I'll be a rolling and a flipping when I return! I damn sure hope so anyway! Here's a link to it over on the foilforum.
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608

CantRepeat
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM

I've owned the chair for a long time. I think I got it in 93 or 94 but stop riding it a long time ago. I started taking some friends out so the chair made the trip.

I've was able to land the dismount back flip before I stop riding it.

I've some of the biggest, cleanest air this last weekend so I'm kind of pup up about it. I'm sure there's a fall coming that will clean my clock and get me back on track.

bigmac
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I had an Air Chair Stealth (improved over the 94-95 chair you mention). I found it to be a great device to learn on, but after about 1 1/2 seasons, I began to suspect its ability to "pop" enough for good inverts. BobbyB here on Team Talk had a Sky Ski B39 for sale so I bought that and sold the Stealth on ebay for about $100 less than I paid for it. I had absolutely no trouble transitioning and riding/flying the thing, and OMG! I still remember the shock the first time I went to jump it - it absolutely launched! An unbelievable difference. IMHO, the ski/foil makes all the difference.

If you're ready for wake rolls and gainers, I am very confident that the Air Chair is holding you back.

I agree, conventional wisdom on invert progression is that most people start with dismount gainers in the flats, then move to the wake rolls. I do recommend a helmet when you start trying inverts - the older Air Chairs are not quite as secure locking the feet in bindings, and if your feet come out, that foil has a great chance of flipping around and hitting you on the head. Additionally, as you learn to manage the rope on inverts, the potential exists for getting your arm caught in the rope handle, and the unfortunate result is often a biceps tear if you're lucky, and a brachial plexus injury if you're not. Handle guard (http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597)- nice safety addition.

CantRepeat
08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the advice bigmac.

If I can get some small progression going on this I might upgrade to a new chair. I've seen a ton of changes since I got this one and I would believe all the R&D that has gone into them must mean something.

bigmac
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
The current model Air Chair is still the Stealth, or at least appears to be the same foil and seat. Their only other model is the V-38 at $2800. IMHO, the Stealth is inferior to the Sky Skis in foil design for aerials. Probably better than what you have, but still not that great. Rather than spending $2800 on the V-38, I'd be more inclined to spend that money on a Sky Ski Pro Evolution or Launch Evolution.

Downside to the Sky Skis, IMHO, is that they are heavier than the Stealth, and they are hard enough to detach the foil that you pretty much need to keep them assembled all the time. Those two things make them harder to deal with in the boat. It would be irrelevant if you had a tower and rack, but I don't and I find them to be kind of a PITA. At least with the Air Chair, I could disassemble it and keep it out of the way. Not the Sky Ski. My workaround is to keep the assembled Sky Ski on a rack under the canopy of my boat lift, so when I go out all I have to do is lower it into the boat, and when I'm done and someone else wants to do something else I can head back to my lift and re-store it.

Having said all that, even though the Stealth is more convenient, the Sky Ski is so superior in performance to the Air Chair that I would never go back just for the sake of convenience.

c_craig
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Been working on my jumps this summer. Getting more consistent. Haven't tried any gainer dismounts yet, but seems like the next step. Friend of mine is a pretty advanced rider, and suggests a trick release for anything like that. Expensive, but nice piece of safety gear.

bigmac
08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Lonnie Marchand (CinchMax.com (http://cinchmax.com/_wsn/page2.html)) sells a very functional trick release for $70.

http://cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/ReleaseNew.jpg

Also, if you don't have his foot stays, you should (work on both Air Chair and Sky Ski). Lonnie is a great guy, utterly reliable and makes good stuff, excellent Sky Ski dealer.

http://cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/FootStaysNew1.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/108720478.jpg

c_craig
08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Will check it out. Came out of my bindings on a face plant once this summer. Not a good feeling. Strong preference for falling on my a$$ now.

bigmac
08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Will check it out. Came out of my bindings on a face plant once this summer. Not a good feeling. Strong preference for falling on my a$$ now.Boy do I recognize that position!

I can't emphasize Lonnie's foot stays strongly enough. They get rid of the rubber heel straps, and your feet won't come out.

I also have been using his foot wraps to replace the bindings along with the foot stays. They are more confortable, and more secure.

http://www.cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/FootWraps3.jpg

I also use his signature item, the Cinchmax belt. The Sky Ski belt is pretty good, his is a little better than that one, but it is WORLDS better than the metal buckle arrangment that Air Chair uses.

http://www.cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/CINCHMaxRed.jpg

edit:

Heh he...pimpin' for Lonnie. I have no affiliation with the guy, but his products are pretty famous in the hydrofoil world, and his customer service is top notch.

/

mikeyg
08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Boy do I recognize that position!

I can't emphasize Lonnie's foot stays strongly enough. They get rid of the rubber heel straps, and your feet won't come out.

I also have been using his foot wraps to replace the bindings along with the foot stays. They are more confortable, and more secure.

http://www.cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/FootWraps3.jpg

http://www.cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/CINCHMaxRed.jpg

edit:

Heh he...pimpin' for Lonnie. I have no affiliation with the guy, but his products are pretty famous in the hydrofoil world, and his customer service is top notch.

/

I agree - Lonnie is super nice. See you guys at the GA Fly-in !!

CantRepeat
08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure if it's the sky ski design, but I've never come close to having my feet come out of my AirChair. When I first started riding it and trying to jump it without any knowledge of riding it I ended up doing a half front flip and landing with my head and chest in the water and the rest of my back, legs, and airchair coming around to meet me. Needless to say I was a little gun shy on trying to jump for a long time.

The worst part is if I would of had anyone that had rode them before I'm sure I was just a slight bit off of a full front flip.

FrankSchwab
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
A couple of years ago, I tried a dismount gainer on my Air Chair Stealth. Managed 270 degrees of rotation. When I hit the water, my feet popped right out of the standard bindings, and I felt the chair rotate 90 degrees or so under me.

My engineer's mind immediately extrapolated the motion of the aluminum broadsword under my butt, and was dismayed when it cleaved my unprotected head on any harder fall.

I haven't yet purchased a helmet, which also explains why I haven't tried to progress any further on the Air Chair.

I guess this is just a long way of saying that, no, the Air Chair bindings are not secure enough to prevent your feet from coming out of them.

/frank

bigmac
08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I guess this is just a long way of saying that, no, the Air Chair bindings are not secure enough to prevent your feet from coming out of them.

/frank

Yeh, failure of the Air Chair heel bindings are pretty commonly reported on most of the hydrofoil web sites, and the results of that failure are reportedly exactly as you describe them - foil arcing around to hit you in the head. Conventional wisdom is that binding failure is about the only way you can get seriously hurt on a hydrofoil.

Jerseydave
08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxaoNetsh0

^ I hate to even post this video from last year, but it was my first W2W on the Skyski. Riding with alot more control these days, ready to try some more gainer dismounts.

I agree with bigmac, highly recommend the cinchmax belt and foot stays. (and helmet too)

tex
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Lonnie Rocks! He is a great guy to do business with and hang out with! He gets it!

CantRepeat
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM

/frank

I guess, I have to crash a little harder to find out. :D

Thanks for all the input guys. If I continue to ride, I'm sure I'll move to upgrade before next season.

SkiDog
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I've just returned from the Ga. Mountain Fly In, and it was a blast! met some great people, got lots of seat time, and saw some AMAZING hydrofoiling! Here's a few pics.

h2oskifreak
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I know I am a hard core course skier, but all these pictures look like a good way to get hurt and not just a little. Don't airchairs hurt when you bury the tip? Seems like straping yourself to this thing is a accident waiting to happen. My lake owner has one and says "use it any time you want to". Are they dangerous to do or am I being a pansy?

bigmac
08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Are they dangerous to do or am I being a pansy?

On the contrary, strapping in is in large part what makes it so safe. And yes, face plants on the water always hurt, likely hurt more on a slalom ski than a hydrofoil.

Low speed and low energy in the early, learning stages. Once you get up to 22 mph necessary to begin progressing to inverts, yeh, you can get hurt, but wakeboarding at that same level is substantially more dangerous. I suspect that's true of slalom skiing at 36 mph as well.

SkiDog
08-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I know I am a hard core course skier, but all these pictures look like a good way to get hurt and not just a little. Don't airchairs hurt when you bury the tip? Seems like straping yourself to this thing is a accident waiting to happen. My lake owner has one and says "use it any time you want to". Are they dangerous to do or am I being a pansy?

Yea, you're being a pansy! The worst accident I've heard of is somebody sticking their arm thru the handle on a hard fall. And they make releases to help prevent that from happening. If you're strapped in properly, there's NO WAY the actual ski can hurt you. Yea, some of the face plants can hurt, but 99% of all types of skiing can cause a faceplant! When you start getting into the big air tricks, MOST people take extra precautions to avoid serious injuries. I.E., trick releases, helments, ear protection.

bigmac
08-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Big air, BIG air, is what makes hydrofoiling so much fun, and nothing can big air like a Sky Ski. The bigger the air, the bigger the potential for getting injured, no matter what kind of a device it is. The difference between a hydrofoil and a wakeboard is that you can get a LOT bigger air, and are a LOT less likely to get hurt on a bad landing. If one isn't going to jump one's hydrofoil and just ride around on it, it's even more boring (but a lot safer) than slalom skiing ;).

h2oskifreak
08-16-2009, 04:04 PM
On the contrary, strapping in is in large part what makes it so safe. And yes, face plants on the water always hurt, likely hurt more on a slalom ski than a hydrofoil.

Low speed and low energy in the early, learning stages. Once you get up to 22 mph necessary to begin progressing to inverts, yeh, you can get hurt, but wakeboarding at that same level is substantially more dangerous. I suspect that's true of slalom skiing at 36 mph as well.

On my way now to the lake. I think I will try it and let you know what I think. Don't want to be cocky, but I have been around water sports since I was 4, so I'll bet I can get up on the ehing. I'll post if I had ant fun or not.

SkiDog
08-16-2009, 04:39 PM
On my way now to the lake. I think I will try it and let you know what I think. Don't want to be cocky, but I have been around water sports since I was 4, so I'll bet I can get up on the ehing. I'll post if I had ant fun or not.

Yea, you might, but if you're a slalom skier, I'm betting it takes you a WHILE to get up on it! Be honest and tell us how many tries before you were able to get and ride the foil. And I don't mean 10 feet either. Most slalom skiers have that 'pull in on the rope' mentality. And thats the LAST rthing you wanna do on a foil!

Jerseydave
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Most people that are good skiers, wakeboarders, etc. can't stay on a foil the first day for more than 60 seconds. (if that) My friend wakeboards, throws 540's, tantrums, mobes, etc and he couldn't ride the foil for more than 30 seconds the first day of trying.

Let us know how you do :)

bigmac
08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I've been around water sports all my life too. Hydrofoiling was pretty humbling - took me 5 or 6 tries to get up and be able to "taxi" around on the board at 10 mph, and that was on a low-performance Air Chair Stealth with the rear wing shimmed way up. Took me the rest of a weekend to be able to fly it for any length of time. I found that riding the thing has virtually nothing to do with any other towed water sport I'd ever done.

GNAT87
08-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Ive been following this thread and its a good one. Bigmack, thanks for the pictures. Ive just gotten into foiling lately. It took me three 1 1/2 hour days to be able to taxi but it was well worth it. I was first trying to get up on a pro ss and never did, on the 3rd day i finally got up on one of those 5400 dollar rigs. We are going back tuesday and im trying the pro ss out again because im hopefully going to buy it from the guy. Bigmack is that a LE you have? Also, im not at the point i should be jumping(tuesday ill work on riding on the foil instead of the board) but i was curious how high a person can jump on a 2003 cast pro ss compared to the limited edition set up?

D3skier
08-17-2009, 02:14 AM
here's a video I found of foiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGqdZNdb_o&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Kevin@MWMC
08-17-2009, 04:05 AM
here's a video I found of foiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGqdZNdb_o&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Holy Sh!t I didn't know that was possible on a foil!!! Sweet Video!

bigmac
08-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Ive been following this thread and its a good one. Bigmack, thanks for the pictures. Ive just gotten into foiling lately. It took me three 1 1/2 hour days to be able to taxi but it was well worth it. I was first trying to get up on a pro ss and never did, on the 3rd day i finally got up on one of those 5400 dollar rigs. We are going back tuesday and im trying the pro ss out again because im hopefully going to buy it from the guy. Bigmack is that a LE you have? Also, im not at the point i should be jumping(tuesday ill work on riding on the foil instead of the board) but i was curious how high a person can jump on a 2003 cast pro ss compared to the limited edition set up?
My foil is a Sky Ski B-39 Launch foil with a Max Air front wing and the standard bat rear wing shimmed by a credit card thickness. The foil is height is adjustable - I have mine set in the middle at 37.5 inches, and I put an Evolution tower on it last year. The LE foil is nice, but the B-39 Launch isn't holding me back yet. I think the difference between the Launch foil and the LE foil isn't as great as the difference between the Pro SS foil and the Launch foil. The strut length, the wing design ("bat vs flat"), and the decreased drag makes the responsiveness signficantly better than the billet Pro SS, better than that compared to the cast Sky Ski foil. I haven't ridden a cast Pro SS, but my Air Chair had a cast foil and there's no comparison between it and the Sky Ski billet foils when it comes to responsiveness, drag and therefore ability to jump.

Learning to ride these things can be difficult and generally occurs in a step-wise fashion. First you have to get up and be able to taxi it. This is facilitated by killing lift, since IMHO the biggest problem people have in the early stages is getting too high on the foil immediately after getting up and falling over to one side. This can be decreased by killing lift, and that's best accomplished by shimming the front of the rear wing (besides the concept of leaning way forward). I have also addressed that problem by simply tying a string around the foil strut. Shimming the rear wing will also kill lift and has the added advantage of decreasing the tendency to overcontrol and porpoise. When I started on the Air Chair, I had the rear wing shimmed by 1/4 inch, and decreased that as I became more stable, better control, on the foil. After you learn taxiing and figure out how to steer the board on the water, it's time to start leaning back to get the foil to fly. I started out taxiing around literally with my chest on my knees. When I was finally comfortable, I began to straighten up slowly and tentatively untill the foil was flying and I controlled height by leaning forward and back. Once you learn those mechanics, you can sit more upright and control height with hand position and far more subtle body shifts. Once I could consistently cross both wakes while on the foil, I began jumping off the wake. Once I could clear both wakes easily, I began attempting wake rolls (I can land about 1 out of 4). I've not had good luck with gainers in the flats, I suspect because I'm not controlling line tension well.

Anyway, it's a blast. There are several other hydrofoil threads here over the years - look at those. Relative to your question, I think the Pro SS, even with a cast foil is a great first step, but if you can already fly an LE, be prepared to upgrade it sooner rather than later.

bigmac
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Holy Sh!t I didn't know that was possible on a foil!!! Sweet Video!

Geno Yauchler is not an ordinary human when it comes to hydrofoiling. That video has been around for years, and I'm always amazed every time I see it. Geno has some kind of MasterCraft affiliation, as well as some connection with BAWS.

He was the subject of a Stunt Junkies episode - jumping over a boat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYuDgt05Pg

He was being pulled by a MasterCraft, it would have been appropriate if the boat he jumped over had been a SAN.

JohnE
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I gotta read the rest of this thread. But I couldn't get up on that damn sky ski. Tried it at csm. When the next guy trying got up right away and did a faceplant from full height of the ski, I was glad I failed.:D

SkiDog
08-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Geno Yauchler is not an ordinary human when it comes to hydrofoiling. That video has been around for years, and I'm always amazed every time I see it. Geno has some kind of MasterCraft affiliation, as well as some connection with BAWS.

He was the subject of a Stunt Junkies episode - jumping over a boat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYuDgt05Pg

He was being pulled by a MasterCraft, it would have been appropriate if the boat he jumped over had been a SAN.

The 'T' bar that geno used on his stunt junkie boat jump, is now on MY ski. Too bad it ain't working as well for me!:D:D

bigmac
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
The 'T' bar that geno used on his stunt junkie boat jump, is now on MY ski. Too bad it ain't working as well for me!:D:D

Really!!?

I thought Geno was entirely Air Chair-affiliated. Had he gone over to Sky Ski?

SkiDog
08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Really!!?

I thought Geno was entirely Air Chair-affiliated. Had he gone over to Sky Ski?

Yes, he has converted! A few months back IIRC.

mikeyg
08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Bigmac - "My foil is a Sky Ski B-39 Launch foil with a Max Air front wing and the standard bat rear wing shimmed by a credit card thickness. The LE foil is nice, but the B-39 Launch isn't holding me back yet. "

From what i have gathered talking to riders - The issue with the b-39 is the wings. The tbar itself can work great if paired up with a set of aftermarket wings. when the le38 tbar lists for around $2650 and the foiltech around $1950 - I'd put that extra money into a different set of wings first and see how you like it.

When you are ready of course..

bigmac
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Bigmac - "My foil is a Sky Ski B-39 Launch foil with a Max Air front wing and the standard bat rear wing shimmed by a credit card thickness. The LE foil is nice, but the B-39 Launch isn't holding me back yet. "

From what i have gathered talking to riders - The issue with the b-39 is the wings. The tbar itself can work great if paired up with a set of aftermarket wings. when the le38 tbar lists for around $2650 and the foiltech around $1950 - I'd put that extra money into a different set of wings first and see how you like it.

When you are ready of course..Been riding the Max Air front since I bought it from Lonnie last year to replace the stock front bat - that was a nice improvement. He tells me that's best bang for buck, won't get much more out of moving from the standard rear bat. I haven't talked to him about the Fling, but not sure I want to pop for the $500 anyway.

CantRepeat
08-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Yes, he has converted! A few months back IIRC.

Yeah, there's a post about it ont he Sky Ski's websit.

airbornjim
08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Back to the original question, about speed for rolls. I can roll at arount 12-15mph but typically ride at 30-31mph. Definately use the foot stays or helmet & trick release learning. also helps to step up the rib padding while learning. Some people find gainers easier to learn than rolls, but I roll a knee board so it was a natural motion. Safety is of little concern if you have the above mentioned gear. My worst crash was from learning a front flip, knocked out! I still havent got that one down.
Have your boat driver ready to pull throttle off, completely at first & then little bumps as you get closer to landing it.

When you can spot the landing, you will land it every time

airbornjim
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
As for the foils, I have been 20' on the original SkySki cast foil. I wouoldn't trade my new LE38 for any other foil now though.

put a rack on your boat & tear it up!

GNAT87
08-19-2009, 06:39 PM
which rack is that?

airbornjim
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Comptech / Skyski

GNAT87
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Is it the one that pivots? I ask because from the picture it just looks like forks that hold the board are bolted directly to the tower without the pivot part. I've been looking for a rack that looks good like skyski or sampson but just the fork part. I'm just trying to bolt that directly to the crossbar of a new dimension tower and not with the clamps around the tube. I hope that's easier to understand.

airbornjim
08-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Those are the comptech forks adapted to the mastercraft rack. Call Jake at Skyski to see if he can help you.

GNAT87
08-19-2009, 11:51 PM
That's what I'm looking for. From pictures it looks like the same bolt pattern. If you don't mind me asking what I'm I looking to spend on just the forks?

airbornjim
08-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't know exactly, I bought two sets and the Comptech release all together. I want to say somewhere around $300

GNAT87
08-20-2009, 01:29 AM
well cool im going to check into that tomorrow. Thanks for all the info. Nice boat and ski, welcome to the board

tex
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I rode yesterday in a stiff wind...only made like 2 of 8. It/me stunk up the lake. I did have a great jump set!

Tom023
08-20-2009, 09:19 AM
This thread reminded me I have a 2006 Sky Ski Pro/ST (shock tower) stored and is available if anybody is interestred. It was used 5 times and is in brand new condition and has Cinch foot stays and belt. I also have a Comptech hydrofoil rack that will fit the Mastercraft towers with round tubing, it may fit others with the correct adapter from Sky Ski. Depending on where you live I may even be able to deliver. Contact me offline if interested.

bigmac
08-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, he [Geno Yauchler] has converted! A few months back IIRC.

Coincidentally, I note that Team Talk's "newest member" has the same name as Geno

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=22273

genoyauchler
08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I just read through some of these posts, and I thought I would add my bit. In fact, you can go to the archive site of www.foiltime.com here: http://www.foiltime.com/m451a/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=57
(Copy and past this to your browser)
that is the link to a quick summary for doing an invert, which by the way back rolls, front flips, gainers, are all inverts. Anything that puts your feet above your head. If this isn't getting you around successfully, feel free to book a lesson here in Winter Haven Florida with me. I do clinics all over the world, and can also come to your site. check this out for more info on that: http://www.foiltime.com/m451a/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=39

I own a 2008 X-1 with the 350 MCX, and hope to upgrade in the next few months to a 2010. Have fun, and hope to see you out on the water soon!

Geno
863-660-2264

genoyauchler
08-23-2009, 04:04 PM
yea, how funny is it that I have the same name as myself! LOL (I just joined this forum...) If you are on an old or new Air Chair, you may be just fine on it. But if you want to find out what the other high end Sky Skis ride like, be warned. You will most likely own one afterward. Yea, that good. I am currently working on a Pro 2010 model for release hopefully late this year. New graphics, and slightly different foil set up than the rest of the Sky Skis out there, but it will ride as good if not better. This is going to be the bomb. Keep foiltime.com in your check up on list.

bigmac
08-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome Geno

:worthy:

SkiDog
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Welcome Geno! Glad to have ya here!

GNAT87
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Welcome Geno. Glad you could be here and look forward to learning from you. Post up some pics of the boat when you get the chance

Swimmer
08-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Just curious, has anyone here tried a 360 in the air and landed it? Not a flip type either. I mean a real 360 like on a skateboard.

airbornjim
08-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Geno has!!!!
I have tried, tuff trick
drove for a buddy while he learned, sweet trick, not for me

91ps190
08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Big mac if you desire more performance you will want to switch out that bat. Try one of the aftermarket wings from xtreme or n2orit. I have the xtreme falcon rear on mine. You can try them for 2 weeks from either manufacturer and send it back if it doesn't put a smile on your face. You might want to take a parachute.:D

SkiDog
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Heres a new video from our foilingforum.
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3298&d=1253142869

SkiDog
09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Just curious, has anyone here tried a 360 in the air and landed it? Not a flip type either. I mean a real 360 like on a skateboard.

Yes, heres a video

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Most people that are good skiers, wakeboarders, etc. can't stay on a foil the first day for more than 60 seconds. (if that) My friend wakeboards, throws 540's, tantrums, mobes, etc and he couldn't ride the foil for more than 30 seconds the first day of trying.

5 pulls before I moved through the water, the next 10 the thing shot up skittered and crashed, then one where I spent the most ackward miserable 20 seconds of rodeo bouncing of my life.

Haven't tried it since.

SkiDog
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
5 pulls before I moved through the water, the next 10 the thing shot up skittered and crashed, then one where I spent the most ackward miserable 20 seconds of rodeo bouncing of my life.

Haven't tried it since.

The key to this is to lean waaaaaay forward to keep the ski ON the water. Foot pressure and leaning forward is the best way to ride till you get comfortable with it.

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Keeping the handle up I was told as well, drop hands lifted too?

Which is opposite of handle to the hip.

SkiDog
09-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Keeping the handle up I was told as well, drop hands lifted too?

Which is opposite of handle to the hip.

Yes, keeping the handle high is also a good way to keep the board on the water. Foot pressure is probably the best way. Don't give up! Once you get past the learning curve, these things are a blast!

Monte
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Lean forward? I thought it was "head down"

SkiDog
09-18-2009, 04:17 PM
:DLean forward? I thought it was "head down"

As Harold says; YOU BIG DUMMY!:D:D

88 PS190
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I probably would have tried it again if our neighbor who owns it hadn't gotten married and not been at the lake as often.

Ironically they use it behind their pontoon boat. Makes turning around a bit ackward but you can bring lots of people and go on rough water in relative comfort.

c_craig
12-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Seems this thread is the current catch-all for foiling. Any suggestions for rack to fit 2008 MC OEM swivel racks (X-15)? I just looked at Comptech and that thing is nearly $800!!! Somewhere earlier in this post I heard $300. Santa likes the sound of $300 a whole lot more.:D

bigmac
12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Seems this thread is the current catch-all for foiling. Any suggestions for rack to fit 2008 MC OEM swivel racks (X-15)? I just looked at Comptech and that thing is nearly $800!!! Somewhere earlier in this post I heard $300. Santa likes the sound of $300 a whole lot more.:D

Samson and Comptech are generally at the top of the heap and are priced similarly to each other. Airboom seems to lead the pack at the other end for the cost-conscious. IIRC, the Airboom non-swivel is about $350 and the swivel version is about $450. IMHO, putting a foil in an outside-fixed set of arms can be frustrating. I would definitely get the swiveling rack, although I've heard occasional grumbling about the longevity of the swiveling Airbooms.

Don't forget to check ebay, or the used equipment section of East-Coast Hydrofoils, or some of the hydrofoiling websites. Look under products at foil-n.com...they also have a used equipment section. You might also consider giving Lonnie Marchand a call and get his take on the relative merits of the 3 or 4 brands of racks out there.

airbornjim
12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Call Jake at comptech. You don't need their entire rack. Just the forks and the adapter plates. Definately the best rack out there for a direct replacement in the Mastercraft.

mikeyg
12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Aerial Wakeboard products has one they just came out with. I was told it was to be released in February 2010 and run in the $250 range. Swivel option for $30 more. I haven't seen it and this is info from a sales guy at the company. he didn't seem for sure on that price though.

airbornjim
12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
You don't need the swivel, that's already built in to your tower.

Jerseydave
12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
You don't beet the swivel, that's already built in to your tower.

I used my wakeboard racks with the SKYSKI support for the foil strut.
Here's a thread about it
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31864&highlight=foil+rack

I think the support cost around $75 or less