PDA

View Full Version : Hanging your foil from your wakeboard rack

Jerseydave
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I hang my skyski on my swivel wakeboard rack ('05 X-star) and it works pretty good.
Purchased a strut support bracket from Skyski.com for about $85.

It comes with a foam block if you want to prevent scratching to the strut, but I keep my foil in its foil cover instead. This bracket works pretty well, but I do wrap a bungee around the ski itself as extra insurance.

Jerseydave
08-09-2009, 08:52 PM
One more pic......sorry camera phone quality

TX.X-30 fan
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Cool. Is that enough wind bracing on the garage walls?? :D

SkiDog
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM
One more pic......sorry camera phone quality

I bought those same ones, however, I didn't think they were quite long enough. So I had a local steel fab shop make me some new ons a little longer. Now it really works good! I'll post some pics later.

Jerseydave
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Cool. Is that enough wind bracing on the garage walls?? :D

Hey gotta protect my baby! :D

airbornjim
08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
New from Skyski, Comptech forks adapted to replace wakeboard forks.

Sodar
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Both are great ideas!

NJSkier any pics with the Skyski in the rack?

airbornjim
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Both are great ideas!

Here ya go

imChad
12-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Airbornjim,

Thanks for the pic! That is exactly what I am looking for for my X45. I just have 2 quick questions, from the pic it looks like you still have the swivel functionality without the foil or board comming in contact with the tower, is that true? Also did you have to modify the tower plate at all to install the arms? Meaning for resale can you put the wakeboard arms back on?

TX.X-30 fan
12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Bergenson???

airbornjim
12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Airbornjim,

Thanks for the pic! That is exactly what I am looking for for my X45. I just have 2 quick questions, from the pic it looks like you still have the swivel functionality without the foil or board comming in contact with the tower, is that true? Also did you have to modify the tower plate at all to install the arms? Meaning for resale can you put the wakeboard arms back on?

Yes, the swivel still works and no you don't have to modify the existing plate. Just remove wakeboard forks and replace with comptech forks and adapter blocks.

Sodar
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Bergenson???

PHEW! No, it's not!

Jerseydave
12-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I left the wakeboard forks on mine since I'm the only foiler. This way I can hang 2 wakeboards on one side and my foil on the other.

I'll go snap some pics with my foil on the rack.....stay tuned! :D

Jerseydave
12-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Both are great ideas!

Here's some pics with the skyski in the wakeboard rack

2nd pic is with the rack swiveled....pretty easy to load it this way. My foil does clear my bimini too, not sure if it would clear the newer-style bimini that is attached to the upper tube of the tower on some MC's.

BTW, I leave my foil cover on but you can also rack it without the cover.

SkiDog
12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, the swivel still works and no you don't have to modify the existing plate. Just remove wakeboard forks and replace with comptech forks and adapter blocks.

How much is the Comptech setup?

airbornjim
12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Been too long, call Jake.

Jerseydave
12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.skyski.com/node/96

^ Is this the rack you're looking for?

venetrex
12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I have the full comptech swiveling hydrofoil rack mounted on the forward tower leg. It swivels into the bow above the winshield. This way I can keep the stock racks on the sides. When I go out I like to load up

airbornjim
12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I usually have three foils in the boat, mine, wife and daughters, and the junior for my son. So I bought the Z5 sport rack Bimini. Three wakeboard overhead.

imChad
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Heres a pic of my last boat. I now have an X45 I am going to set up the same.

SkiDog
12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Thats a lot of weight on that tower.And a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

airbornjim
12-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Very nice, I've thinking of adding another. As of now we just try to keep one in the water

Jerseydave
12-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Heres a pic of my last boat. I now have an X45 I am going to set up the same.

Can't wait to see pics of your X-45 with those 4 foils!

imChad
01-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Well its all coming together. My only issue with the 4 foils on the tower now is that the stock JL speakers are going to be in the way of the seat towers on top. I guess I will just have to sell the JL's and pick up some WetSounds and mount them on the forward bar. So far the forward bar has worked perfect with the AirSling. It has been a great improvement to the stock tower.

Hey airbornjim do you have any closer pics of how your speakers are mounted up?

Psst Denver Boat show this weekend! Come on by and say hi to thr Rocky Mountain Hydrofoil Club. We will have a table/display setup in the MasterCraft Booth!

-Chad

imChad
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Thats a lot of weight on that tower.And a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

We were a little concerned about the weight on the tower of my old boat. I actually had that tower made out of 6061 aircraft tubing which allows for flex. When we are down in Powell with the tower loaded up and hitting some chop there is alot of flex, but after 6ish years there is still no cracks in the powder coating on the tower and none on the gelcoat. I think we got lucky on the design of allowing it to flex, istead of attempting to stiffen it up too much. As far as the $$$$ goes, when you have an addiction its amazing on how much you put into it. Plus you end up finding a bunch of friends with the same addiction.

-Chad

boatnbob
02-07-2010, 06:29 PM
I noticed on your MC that you have the same tower I have on my X1. It is called the zero-flex tower which is far from the truth. Call your MC dealer and ask them to run your hull # to see if it is supposed to have the lateral mount brackets added to it to fix the swaying. It is a free fix from MC to answer the complaints from MC owners and their zero flex towers.

I had to weld up all joints from another issue, but I have read of others report of broken welds. The welds are under the decorative caps that you use an allen wrench to access. It is a sweet tower, but disappointing in its flex. Keep an eye on your black knobs on the tower as well. They are expensive to replace when they fall off, and they will.

I hope to check out some foils this summer.

Cheers,

Bob

venetrex
02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Do you find that the air sling was worth it??? I have contemplated it but not sure if it is worth the $$. CAn't wait to get out on the water either.

imChad
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Yes the AirSling is very much worth it for me. 1. you get a higher mounting point off of the tower which helps with pulls out of the water, and with bigger air for jumps. 2. it helps huge with hard landings when the rope should yank out of your hands the sling acts as a small bump and doesn't yank as hard allowing you to recover, sometimes. This also makes it much easier on your shoulders and elbows for long runs over the course of a vacation. The only real issue is that the way it is setup from the manufacturer, it can be a pain in the @$$ to charge up. We ended up rerouting the air tubing to the compressor and having a switch on the dash control the compressor. This makes it a whole lot easier to charge to certain psi for different riders.

imChad
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Also forgot to mention there are a couple of Air Slings for sale over on the foil forum.
Hit me up if you need links or information.

c_craig
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey Airbornjim,

All good questions. Is this mount secure when bouncing down the lake? Any other products worth looking at? I thought Lonnie (Cinch Products) had one too, but did not see it on his website.

airbornjim
03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Full swivel functionality, no mods to the stock plate, and rides very solid.

imChad
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Finally got the racks modified to accept hydrofoils, plus added a couple of custom foil racks to the top. I needed to replace the factory speakers with the Wet Sounds for clearance of the foils (+ sounds much better IMO). Also had a block machined to allow for 2 mirrors to be mounted side by side, now I can see nearly a full 180 degrees while towing. Bimini was redone to allow for full functionality with the racks and AirSling! And for the night driving at lake Powell installed a light bar up front with quick disconnect for storage when not in use. Puts the light out in front of you while driving instead of up on the tower behind you and lighting up the whole bow with too much reflection. Plus we added a ridiculous amount of LED's in the boat and under transom for bling and and storage compartment lighting.

Now its time to get out and do some serious riding!!!

-Chad

Big Dogg
04-15-2010, 02:43 AM
Man, and I thought my tower swayed a little because of having the weight of one foil hanging of the side. I dont have anything on yours

BUSSTUFJ
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I'll follow this thread, anxious to see how the tower holds up with that weight on it also.

Keep us posted.

michael freeman
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Has anyone mounted a foil to the previous tube based tower (previous to the billet version that came out on all mastercrafts in 2007)?

I have a '06 X-30 and I'm buying a Launch/foil. Lonnie at CINCH is trying to find out what I need, to use the stock Mastercraft swival racks. He is concerned the Comptech arm replacement solution available with the Billet tower legs, will not work with my tower.

Does anyone have any pictures of their solution with the older tower.

Thanks,
Mike

SkiDog
05-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Finally got the racks modified to accept hydrofoils, plus added a couple of custom foil racks to the top. I needed to replace the factory speakers with the Wet Sounds for clearance of the foils (+ sounds much better IMO). Also had a block machined to allow for 2 mirrors to be mounted side by side, now I can see nearly a full 180 degrees while towing. Bimini was redone to allow for full functionality with the racks and AirSling! And for the night driving at lake Powell installed a light bar up front with quick disconnect for storage when not in use. Puts the light out in front of you while driving instead of up on the tower behind you and lighting up the whole bow with too much reflection. Plus we added a ridiculous amount of LED's in the boat and under transom for bling and and storage compartment lighting.

Now its time to get out and do some serious riding!!!

-Chad

Thats one fine setup you got there pal!;)

imChad
05-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Just as a heads up to eveyone that was interested, it has been a year since I modified the tower to accept the Hydrofoils and AirSling. I want to let you know there has not been one problem with this setup. This is after heavy use trips to Powell and Havasu and even being the tow boat for the USHA Nationals the last 2 years! I did make a couple of changes to the top racks but they essentially look identical. I went through the other day and inspected all mounting points and welds ect. Other than the occasional bolt that needed to be secured all was well! Looking forward to another season!

-Chad