PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from wakeboard camp--awesome!

nmcjr
08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I just got back from "The Wakeboard Camp" in Clermont, Florida and it was an amazing week, I am very sad to be home. This is the camp from the makers of "The Book" DVD series and learnwake.com, i.e. Kyle Schmidt, and yes, you actually receive instruction from Kyle himself and he is great. (www.wakeboardcamp.com)

The coaches are excellent and I learned a ton. The surprising part to me was that it made for a great vacation as much as a learning experience. We are even considering doing this instead of a Carribean vacation we had planned for next year!! We also do a houseboat trip most years and this will likely replace that too. I was there for one week, and will likely go back for two weeks next year.

It is for all ages and skill levels (I am 35 and a beginner to intermediate rider) and the shuttle driver told me the oldest person he had picked up was 68!

Anyway, I mention it here, because if you have ever considered it (or even if you haven't) I would highly recommend it, it was a total blast.

Jerseydave
08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear that you had a great experience there. Kyle was live on stokemeter.com this past week, he has a very good grasp on the mechanics/physics of wakeboarding and can explain things really well, better than anyone else that I've listened to.

You riders should try his site www.learnwake.com for some instructional videos. I believe there are some free video samples on there, plus many others if you subscribe to the site.
(I am not tied into this site, but have gained alot of good tips from it)

MariStar-Man
12-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Wow, i'm 44 and have never had opportunity to ski or wakeboard. These instructional videos should be very helpfull...

I should be well read by next season...

tex
12-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I just got back from "The Wakeboard Camp" in Clermont, Florida and it was an amazing week, I am very sad to be home. This is the camp from the makers of "The Book" DVD series and learnwake.com, i.e. Kyle Schmidt, and yes, you actually receive instruction from Kyle himself and he is great. (www.wakeboardcamp.com)

The coaches are excellent and I learned a ton. The surprising part to me was that it made for a great vacation as much as a learning experience. We are even considering doing this instead of a Carribean vacation we had planned for next year!! We also do a houseboat trip most years and this will likely replace that too. I was there for one week, and will likely go back for two weeks next year.

It is for all ages and skill levels (I am 35 and a beginner to intermediate rider) and the shuttle driver told me the oldest person he had picked up was 68!

Anyway, I mention it here, because if you have ever considered it (or even if you haven't) I would highly recommend it, it was a total blast.

That is great to hear>>>>what did you learn?

nmcjr
12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
MM, you're never too old, that's for sure!! A buddy of mine is 43 and he rides circles around me! If you wanted to really get a jump start I would suggest a camp. There is Mike Schwenne's West Coast Camps that is held at McClure if you didn't want to go to Florida. He is very well respected and coaches a similar style to Kyle from what I hear.

Tex, before I went, I was decent with heelside w2w jumps (at 65 ft), but toeside was terrible and that was about it. Now I am 100% proficient at both TS and HS w2w jumps at 75 ft, have all 4 front side 180's, backroll, riding switch, working on one wake backside 180's, surface 360's and overall board control and riding comfort has increased tremendously. I also now ride at 23.5 mph vs. 21.5 before I went and use a lot more ballast. I figure I learned more from the camp than I could have learned myself in two to three summers. Plus it was just so much fun. To put it in perspective, I saw a guy learn a 360 in one day, its incredible how fast you can progress.

As I said, I am planning to go back for two weeks this year.

tex
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
That is greatness!!!

MariStar-Man
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
MM, you're never too old, that's for sure!! A buddy of mine is 43 and he rides circles around me! If you wanted to really get a jump start I would suggest a camp. There is Mike Schwenne's West Coast Camps that is held at McClure if you didn't want to go to Florida. He is very well respected and coaches a similar style to Kyle from what I hear.

Thanks for the info...I'll check him out. Yeah but how long has your buddy been wakeboarding? I remember one time when i first tried to get up on skis and theboat operator gunned it and almost ripped my arms out...lol I was sore for like 4 weeks. It was about 4pm and too many beers for the driver --->failed...

Jerseydave
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Glad to hear you progressed really fast mncjr. There is hope for us 40+ riders!

Maristar-man.......if you're ever in the NJ/NY area in the summer months look me up and we'll get you some water time!

MariStar-Man
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Maristar-man.......if you're ever in the NJ/NY area in the summer months look me up and we'll get you some water time!
I will that's for sure! I'll bring my 6 shooter...Has anyone ever tried to Boat-Jack you there...lol! J/k :rolleyes: My goal is to do 360's... some of the younger guys mke it look soo simple.

Any tips to remember?

nmcjr
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
All you coud ever need to know is on learnwake!! Ha, you'd think I was a paid spokesperson!

Have you gotten up on a board yet? If not, for your first lesson on a wakeboard, you should never be pulled up that hard--tell the person pulling you to pull you so slow that they don't think you will be able to get up. You'd be surprised how little power it takes to get up. If its hard to hold on to the handle they are pulling you too hard. Skiing is a different story.

360's may be a little bit down the road, but you'll get there... Ya, my buddy has been riding for 10 years, but still.....