PDA

View Full Version : prostar overheating

johno4ne
08-08-2009, 11:31 PM
89 prostar keeps over heating. i have check the impeller it looks new and good, checked the hoses and tans cooler for any blockage. put in a new thermostat and temp sensor and water pump. still over heating, weird part is that it doesnt feel that hot. any ideas what else it could be? the only thing im left with is a head gasket. it runs great its not running rough or anything, just overheats.

thomas1353
08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
temp gauge????????????

babymoore3
08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Air pocket in the engine near the temp sender? The air can superheat and cause the gage to heat up rather quick. Maybe a new sender? Go to hardware store and get a $50 dollar infrared gun and shoot the temperature near the temp sender, manifolds, T-stat housing area see if they reflect gage or not? Being an 89 you may have rust buildup somewhere and causing a blockage in a water passage maybe? Both exhausts ports putting out water when running with fake-a-lake or similar setup?

dodgybee
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
hi had an overheat at weekend.
turned out to be my raw water strainer has a hardened gasket with a crack in it,was drawing air if not tightened down real tight gave me a friggin air lock.
got new lid and seal coming so should be good as new for the weekend luckily it was ok when primed up so was able to use boat,had always looked in and seen it was a bit frothy but never overheated only came to light when i cleaned out strainer and moved it around.

JimN
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
89 prostar keeps over heating. i have check the impeller it looks new and good, checked the hoses and tans cooler for any blockage. put in a new thermostat and temp sensor and water pump. still over heating, weird part is that it doesnt feel that hot. any ideas what else it could be? the only thing im left with is a head gasket. it runs great its not running rough or anything, just overheats.

Look at the thermostat housing cover. It has a small hole for water flow and this can become blocked.