PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Epoxy Coating

JohnnyB
08-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Looking to epoxy coat the garage floor before we move in.

Who's done it?

What have you used (brand/manufacturer/etc)?

What are your lessons learned?

I'm currently looking at a sherwin williams product (Armorseal) but it doesn't offer the color chips.

cbryan70
08-08-2009, 02:58 PM
pay to have it done......from what I have read and from others experience the stuff you can buy at homedepot and others jus tdoesnt cut it. My neighbor did his and it looks decent after 4 years but you can tell where he parks his car from the wear. The industrial stuff does NOT do this. My gf's dad got his done professionally guy owed him and after 9 years it looks brand new.

Footin
08-08-2009, 03:26 PM
My builder painted the floor in my new house and it started coming up after 2 days, I would go with Racedeck floor tiles or some kind of tile.

JimN
08-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Looking to epoxy coat the garage floor before we move in.

Who's done it?

What have you used (brand/manufacturer/etc)?

What are your lessons learned?

I'm currently looking at a sherwin williams product (Armorseal) but it doesn't offer the color chips.

How long since the concrete was poured? If it's too fresh, it won't bond well because the concrete won't be cured and dry. If it has cured completely, it will need to be etched before painting in order for it to hold.

At least have someone come out to give you a quote and while they're there, pick their brain (Holy Crap- I used all three forms of that word in one sentence).

Cloaked
08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2873

This is one of many threads on garage floors. Go back one page on the forum and do a sort on "views." There are several good threads there to answer every question.

This is why I always suggest to never seal a concrete garage floor. Now you have to get it back off with acid etch or scarification.

JohnnyB
08-08-2009, 04:07 PM
The Sherwin Williams product I am looking at is an industrial epoxy coating. I have already been steered away from the DIY stuff as it typically does only last four years.

Jim, you're correct that I do need to wait 30 days for the concrete to cure....it was poured July 30th and I'm looking at doing it sometime in mid-september.

TX.X-30 fan
08-08-2009, 04:21 PM
There is a member here that does this work?? I am drawing a blank.

dtc
08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I have been "researching" and learning over the past month, as my wife and I just bought a new home. Here is what I can share with you so far ...

checkout concretenetwork.com

For our garage, approx 800 sq ft (4 car ... can you say "boat finally inside"), to be done professionally, the bids came in at the $3500 neighborhood.

My wife and I ended up going with expoy-coat.com. we will do the application/install this coming week, and if there's an interest, I'll post pictures etc ...

Feel free to em or pm me if you want to talk or want more info.

justinglow
08-08-2009, 05:29 PM
There is a member here that does this work?? I am drawing a blank.

Me TX!!! I thought we were friends???

cbryan70
08-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Well start informing

justinglow
08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
In all of my residential's that I do I use Devoe 224. It's a high solids, solvent based two part epoxy that holds and preforms great. Your concrete needs to be at least 30 days old. You can acid wash the concrete if you want to prep it but we always diamond grind instead. Some people do it differently.

You can broadcast flakes on top of the final coat and then go over it with a urethane. Just don't use anything waterborne or single part. It wont hold up.

Remember what my old man always told me, "If it doesn't smell like it's going to kill you, it probably won't stick."

get_sum
08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

it's expensive, but it comes with a lifetime warranty. for warranty service just call up, tell them who you are and ask for a repair kit. No questions asked, and they ship it right out. I have the medium grey with granite colored fleks of urethane.

I've only used one repair kit, as I was in a hurry to prep it and one spot came up under some hot tires of the boat trailer soon after I did it.

TX.X-30 fan
08-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Sorry, I dropped the ball!!!!!! When I do mine I will have a prfessional like justin do mine.

That better?? Need any siding we can work a deal. :D

TX.X-30 fan
08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
You can acid wash the concrete if you want to prep it but we always diamond grind instead. Some people do it differently.

."

Whats the story with that?

cbryan70
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
you grind or bead blast or etch the concret so the stuff will stick.

justinglow
08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I dropped the ball!!!!!! When I do mine I will have a prfessional like justin do mine.

That better?? Need any siding we can work a deal. :D

I do as a matter of fact.

justinglow
08-08-2009, 06:49 PM
you grind or bead blast or etch the concrete so the stuff will stick.

Exactly. It gives the coating something to adhere to and suck into. We have a shot blaster as well but only use that on jobs where there is a thick old coating that has to be removed. It leaves a pretty aggressive finish when your done.

JohnnyB
08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
In all of my residential's that I do I use Devoe 224. It's a high solids, solvent based two part epoxy that holds and preforms great. Your concrete needs to be at least 30 days old. You can acid wash the concrete if you want to prep it but we always diamond grind instead. Some people do it differently.

You can broadcast flakes on top of the final coat and then go over it with a urethane. Just don't use anything waterborne or single part. It wont hold up.

Remember what my old man always told me, "If it doesn't smell like it's going to kill you, it probably won't stick."

Just got a call from my bro-in-law who's friend does this professionally and did his garage. He recommended Devoe 224 as well. Gave me the name of the vendor...will call and check it out on Monday.....got almost a month to figure it out.

H20BOY
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Justin, do you do work in Fort Worth. What is rough estimate on standard 2 car garage?

justinglow
08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Justin, do you do work in Fort Worth. What is rough estimate on standard 2 car garage?

I work all over DFW. Even the Austin area. I will PM you some info.