PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning

Greg Nilles
08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm considering reconditioning my 1989 Prostar. Does anyone have any recommendation for the fiberglass surface? Wet sanding or painting? Where can I get new decals for a 1989 Prostar?

I'm also looking for decals for the valve covers "Mastercraft Powered"

Does anyone have a suggestions or input?

Thanks

flipper
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Don't paint it. Wet sand it if you need to and buff it out. Look around on here. There are lots of threads from people doing the same thing

FrankSchwab
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Unless the surface is really bad, buffing with a fiberglass-specific "heavy oxidation remover" may be all you need. Search the forum for "buffer" or "oxidation" - you'll find plenty of threads and good advice.

I used a cheap-*ss Harbor Freight orbital buffer (about $40), some Meguiar's #49 heavy oxidation remover, some Meguiar's #44 color restorer, and some high-quality wax and got beautiful results, removing some heavy oxidation (my dark green boat was kind of pastel light green on the transom due to oxidation) in the process. Give the buffer a try before sanding, IMO.

/frank

TMCNo1
08-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks to JohnE,
Check out Shep's thread from restoring his '90. A lot of good info. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=12550 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550)

CantRepeat
08-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks to JohnE,
Check out Shep's thread from restoring his '90. A lot of good info. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=12550

An outstand thread on taking a boat from near junkyard to the lake. :D

bobschultz
08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Getting ready to take on a badly faded gel coat and ran across some posts on the internet about using Poliglow system instead of the compound and waxes from properboatcare.com I searched under poliglow and only found two posts going back to 2005. Appreciate any feedback available

Bob

TMCNo1
08-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Getting ready to take on a badly faded gel coat and ran across some posts on the internet about using Poliglow system instead of the compound and waxes from properboatcare.com I searched under poliglow and only found two posts going back to 2005. Appreciate any feedback available

Bob

If you only found it mentioned a couple times over the years, it must not be much of a favorite for the purists. Kinda like putting makeup on a ugly women, when the makeup is gone, she's still ugly.

Thrall
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Don't even dink around with cheap finishing products. Get yourself a bottle of 3M Microfinishing medium cut rubbing compound (I've never seen a need for heavy cut) and a bottle of 3M Finesse-It II polishing compound. Wet sand out any scratches that you can feel w/ 600grit then 1000 grit.
Then machine compound and machine polish.

Gelcoat is thick. You could probably wet sand, compound and poilsh the whole boat 10 times if necessary (but if you do it once, the shine will basically last forever if you take care of it).
Stay off of outside corners with the sand paper and compound. The polish will cut a shine onto the corners due to applying so much more pressure, otherwise you'll risk sanding through the gel, and don't sand areas you can't get to with the buffer, it takes forever to compound out sand scratches by hand.