PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV or Dishnetwork?

h2oskiluvr
08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a new lake cottage and I want to have television there. I want the absolutely most inexpensive plan available.

Does anyone on the board have some thoughts regarding the two major providers in this regard?

Thank you in advance!

SRussell
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I have had dishnetwork for 6 years and have no complaints. ours is around $50 a month but you can go cheaper.
whoever you go with be sure to tell them that you are shopping providers and try to get them to sweeten the deal. We were thinking about going with one of those bundle deals with cable so we could get internet and dish gave us a sweet dvr and cinemax for a penny and gave us the channel package above ours for 6 months for the same price of ours to keep us from changing. make them earn it!

Craig
08-06-2009, 04:43 PM
We have dish network. The most inexpensive plan they have is $20/mo. and it looks like a waste of money.....the family plan. We have the next one up from that and we pay $35/mo. A comparable plan from directTV was $42/mo. IIRC.

I like dish it is a fine service but dish does not carry local channels in our area, directTV does. The people on the phone for dish told me on several occasions that local channels were available before the install but they were all wrong. I am now stuck with a two year deal with them.

Bottom line, I think dish is marginally cheaper and would be fully satisfied if I had local channels. If you really want locals make sure you do some research and find out which provider carries locals, if any. Don't listen to the people on the phone like I did, bad mistake.

flipper
08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I've had direct tv for I don't know how long, but never had a problem with them. Service has been pretty good. If i had to guess 9 years or so

east tx skier
08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Had Dish Network for around 9 years. During the last year, the quality went into the toilet and service, though well intentioned, was unsuccessful at resolving the quality issues. Switched to DirecTV last year and have been extremely pleased with it.

captain planet
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Which one has NFL Sunday Ticket?

east tx skier
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM

DirecTV I believe.

76S&S
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
We have DirecTV and have been very pleased.

Now, not that I would do this but............
You could have it installed in your home and purchase an extra receiver. Get another dish off of ebay and put it at the lake house and take the extra receiver to the lake. This way you only have to pay the monthly charge for the extra receiver.

Not that I would do anything like that, just saying.......

Oh, and yes DirecTV has the NFL Sunday ticket

flipper
08-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Direct tv...

rholmes
08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Dishnetwork here for 6 years, never a problem. You know, if you call them up and tell them you have a sweet offer from someone else, they are quite willing to deal. At least in my area. We have 250 channel program, HDDVR, the upsized dvr box, local channels, and pay around $65 a month.

mlay
08-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I have direct tv and the receivers cost me a ~25 extra bucks a month. How does dishnetwork handle those? Strange this thread started, we just started talking last night about our direct tv package (we are no longer under contract) and it costs us $59 for Total choice package, and $35for 7 receivers. I have 3 additional and 4 leased receivers which all run $5 per month. My bill is $75 per month. I get about $15 savings credit but the bill is still ~$75.

JimN
08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Where is it? If you want the least expensive way, use any TV made within the last 4 years and with a cheap antenna, you should be able to pick up the closest signals and some far away ones. No monthly fees, just electricity when you use it.

ProStar190Fan
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I second what JimN said, with a decent antenna you will be able to get 5 or 6 channels and hey your supposed to be out in the boat anyway.;)

JimN
08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I second what JimN said, with a decent antenna you will be able to get 5 or 6 channels and hey your supposed to be out in the boat anyway.;)

Another way is to hit some rummage sales and buy a dish and LNB if you already have satellite. Then, you make sure it works with your receiver and take it with you, setting it up wherever it works. You need to enter the zip code anyway but setup is pretty easy.

Cloaked
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I second what JimN said, with a decent antenna you will be able to get 5 or 6 channels and hey your supposed to be out in the boat anyway.;)Most locals (OTA) are HD now anyway. A good antenna will bring in the network channels as long as they are within reach.

Otherwise DTV is as good as Dish as long as one is not expecting to run a free setup. DTV has not been compromised since the P4 card. Dish has encrypted their signals as well. FTA is still open with a mod.

With DTV, one has to marry the card to an add-on. It costs $20 for the card and an active account. That said, DTV allows up to 4 add-ons at $5 per receiver. Marry a card to an account and take it with you. As Jim said, a dish and a portable tripod (nice one available at the RatShack). http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3377694 I have several of these and they are about as good as it gets for portability.

For minimum coverage, I'd do OTA in HD and live with that. This antenna can also be had at the RatShack. Works very well.

A DTV dish (with LNB) and a receiver are plentiful.

WTRSK1R
08-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I have had Dish Network for about 12 years and every time I consider switching to Direct TV it seems like the extra charges at DTV just do not make it reasonable. For example, I just got a letter yesterday touting the 29.99 package with 150 channels, but by the time I added the upcharge to the "free" HDDVR, paid for the HD service, the extra charge for DVR service, the second receiver..... it was more then I am currently paying to Dish. It did not seem like a great start up offer, and by the way, the 29.99 goes up by about 25.00 after the first year. Even without the increased charge, it was already equal to what I am currently paying for equivalent service to DISH. The only thing I really would have gained was 5 months of the pay TV service thrown in for Free.

In the time that we have had Dish, we have only had a couple of service issues and they have only been in REALLY severe storms.

Good service in my opinion.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I have previously had dish network, and have direct tv now. We lost signal with dish every time a dark cloud showed up on the horizon, and with direct tv we almost never lose signal. Otherwise they are pretty interchangeable.

djhuff
08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Like someone else said, get the same thing you have at your primary residence. If you currently have cable (the debil), then switch at your house, and buy an extra dish and receiver to hook up at the lake cottage. Just tell them you have an extra TV at your main house or want a dish for tailgating to get the extra receiver. Dont tell them that it is being set up at another residence.

The only bad thing about this is that you will get locals that are for your main residence, not the local channels where the cottage is.

etakk7
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Like someone else said, get the same thing you have at your primary residence. If you currently have cable (the debil), then switch at your house, and buy an extra dish and receiver to hook up at the lake cottage. Just tell them you have an extra TV at your main house or want a dish for tailgating to get the extra receiver. Dont tell them that it is being set up at another residence.

The only bad thing about this is that you will get locals that are for your main residence, not the local channels where the cottage is.

Is it really that easy - just plug and go?

JimN
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Is it really that easy - just plug and go?

Yup. You have to go through the setup routine if the two places are far apart but that's no big deal. Enter the zip code and leave the rest alone.

JimN
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM

You'll get the locals wherever the setup is done and DirecTV doesn't use the external antenna input anymore, since all new TVs have been required to receive all digital broadcasts for close to 2 years.

Cloaked
08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
You'll get the locals wherever the setup is done and DirecTV doesn't use the external antenna input anymore, since all new TVs have been required to receive all digital broadcasts for close to 2 years.Locals are set to the zip code of the account address and distributed to the spot beam(s) from the satellite (speaking of DTV). If one is outside of the spot beam circumference, there will be no signal for that transponder. They control that by the data stream that is sent for each spot.

In the case of my setup, I get east coast network feeds from NY and network feeds from the west coast out of LA. Even that setup is not availabe under current packages. This was a grandfathered clause in an old package from years back. I never gave it up. Under FCC regulation I did not qualify for locals through satellite, so I opted for network feeds from said locations. Local programming here isn't worth watching.

djhuff
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Cloaked has it right, I was assuming your lake cottage wasn't overly far from your primary residence and you could still see sat from both places.

You need to have a basic knowledge of how to point a dish, but otherwise it really is very easy.

Even if you don't know how to set it up, call a local installer in the area of the lake house and give them $50 to come out and do it (that's what the sat companies pay to the installers when you set up the initial service). You might find some installers that want to charge you more, but it's really not that big a deal.

The providers really don't care too much either from what I can tell, as long as it's a vacation home, and not someone's permanent residence.

Cloaked
08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Cloaked has it right, I was assuming your lake cottage wasn't overly far from your primary residence and you could still see sat from both places.

You need to have a basic knowledge of how to point a dish, but otherwise it really is very easy.

Even if you don't know how to set it up, call a local installer in the area of the lake house and give them $50 to come out and do it (that's what the sat companies pay to the installers when you set up the initial service). You might find some installers that want to charge you more, but it's really not that big a deal.

The providers really don't care too much either from what I can tell, as long as it's a vacation home, and not someone's permanent residence.Single LNB dishes are easy to sight in onto a bird as long as one has a reasonably open line of sight into the southeastern sky and a simple compass (although the compass is not mandatory but makes the initial sight much easier).. The single LNBs are sighted in with angle and rotation, where the triple LNB dishes require an additional motion of skew to sight in two birds for one complete signal. DTV used this as their first line of defense for several reasons but that is another topic.

A single LNB DTV dish and a receiver is readily available for the inquiry.

joniron1
08-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I work out of town for a couple of months at a time and stay in my camper.The solution i found is prepaid dishnetwork.its from radio shack the reciever and dish is $99 an installation kit (mostly useless stuff but has good cables 75 ft 25ft &6ft)$20. Then you buy a card for the programming for $40 when you call you pick a package ,the package you pick determines how long it lasts(150 channels=37 days 200=28 days there are movie packages hbo etc that are a couple months)its pretty easy to set up and you use it when you need it and there are no other fees .There is also something called a green dot card which is reloadable with funds over the phone or internet and can be used to buy programming so you dont have to go to radioshack to get a card every month.I have cable at home and am happy with it so this prepaid deal suits my needs very well,and ive had very few problems with reception due to weather(drunk coworkers bumping into the dish is another story).

mlay
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
As mentioned before on this thread, I have had the displeasure of dealing with DirectTV now since Friday. All I can say is the only reason I still have them is because (I should have read the fine print) when I added a HD receiver they automatically extended my contract 2 years. They say its in the fine print, I pay on line and don't really pay attention to that. After today I found out my contract runs out in October and guaranteed I will switch to the dish network and give DirectTV 30 days to pick up their crap or they can retrieve it from the local landfill.

DirectTV is the worse....

Cloaked
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
As mentioned before on this thread, I have had the displeasure of dealing with DirectTV now since Friday. All I can say is the only reason I still have them is because (I should have read the fine print) when I added a HD receiver they automatically extended my contract 2 years. They say its in the fine print, I pay on line and don't really pay attention to that. After today I found out my contract runs out in October and guaranteed I will switch to the dish network and give DirectTV 30 days to pick up their crap or they can retrieve it from the local landfill.

That is the very reason that I will not upgrade.

DTV is still pissed about the compromise of the P3 card. :D

Dish is the same way in relative manners. There's only two providers out there (exclusive of Bev and FTA) and they both are minimally customer oriented. Cash is all they care about.

D3skier
08-13-2009, 01:06 AM

I second how TERRIBLE DirectTV is and will NEVER get there service again. We had it at our old house and not once had an issue but when we decided to switch from Dish to Direct that was the biggest mistake we've made in a long time. We still had Dish and I told the installer NOT TO REMOVE the dish because we still had service. (even though the reception was out) the DirectTV installer put the dish so close to the other base that there was no way to put the other one back up. We ended up having to pay $125 to have the dish put back up for a third set of holes in our roof. Long story short I spent 4 weeks on a daily basis at an average of 1.5 hours a night on the phone arguing with them because we weren't getting the channels we've subscribed to. On top of not getting our proper credits on the account either. We had 2 receivers purchased at Best Buy PRIOR to 2004 when Direct decided ALL receivers are now property of Direct. So we terminated our service and now fighting with the attorneys about a $500 cancellation fee that I will never pay. Direct even debited my checking account with authorization and won that battle. I've got 27 pages of when who and what was wrong and argued about for each call. But yet you call Direct and they have no recollection of me calling on most of these dates. Never was able to get Dish dialed back in either so we're back to good old reliable cable tv again. Might consider Dish but will bash Direct every chance I get.

djhuff
08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
D3, I had a similar situation with Dish, I had a receiver that became mine after my 2 year contract was up. 3 years later, I'm still with them, but I have this $500 charge on my bill for a receiver I didn't return when I upgraded to an HD box.

The minimum wage customer service rep that reads off a script wanted me to prove it's mine by producing a receipt!!! I don't know about you, but I don't keep receipts for 3 years. All I had to do was ask for a supervisor (you have to be firm, but state that you will hold until a supervisor is on the phone and that you are done talking to the front line person). Supervisor came on, I told him my story, and he credited my account (sweetened the deal a little too).

This isn't anything new in the telecommunications industry, some are just better than others, but they all suck to some extent. If I had to go through that 5 times, I still wouldn't go back to the devil that is Time Warner Cable.

D3skier
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
D3, I had a similar situation with Dish, I had a receiver that became mine after my 2 year contract was up. 3 years later, I'm still with them, but I have this $500 charge on my bill for a receiver I didn't return when I upgraded to an HD box.

The minimum wage customer service rep that reads off a script wanted me to prove it's mine by producing a receipt!!! I don't know about you, but I don't keep receipts for 3 years. All I had to do was ask for a supervisor (you have to be firm, but state that you will hold until a supervisor is on the phone and that you are done talking to the front line person). Supervisor came on, I told him my story, and he credited my account (sweetened the deal a little too).

This isn't anything new in the telecommunications industry, some are just better than others, but they all suck to some extent. If I had to go through that 5 times, I still wouldn't go back to the devil that is Time Warner Cable.

I called the corporate office regarding all the issues I had and they still refused to cancel my contract even after I've already proven they have failed to follow their own contract which voids the contract all together. I'll fight this til I'm blue in the face. They will never see a penny of this ordeal!

shepherd
08-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm paying $200/month for cable, internet and phone package with the cable company. Been thinking about making the switch to Direct TV, but dang D3... now I'm a little nervous about this.

Seeing how this thread is 3 years old, does anyone have any recent experiences? Dish Network is out of the question -- I want the NFL ticket (they're offering it free this season), and most of my favorite shows aren't available on Dish anymore.

Or should I just stick with the cable? I was thinking about deleting the phone service, keeping the cable internet, deleting cable TV, and getting Direct TV.

CantRepeat
08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I just changed from my local monopolistic cable company(Cable TV of East Alabama, hate them) to DirecTV. We got the Choice Xtra plan for $34 bucks a month. The one thing they didn't say, or I didn't read it, is the first tuner is free but after that it's 6 bucks a month per tuner.

We've got 98% signal most of the time and the reception is very clear. Its easily as good as the cable and I'm saving money.

The only draw back, and it's a small one, is getting used to new channel numbers when looking for programs. We are figuring them out and making favorites list for both my wife and I.

mzimme
08-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I've had directv for a couple years now, and I love it. I've had movie channels the whole time, and haven't paid for them due to promotions that come up every few months. If you keep up with them, you get lots of free stuff. Just don't extend your contract past the 2 years... once you're out of contract, you have a lot more bargaining power. The programming is awesome though, and HD signal is about the best I've seen.