PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the 86'

6ballsisall
06-02-2005, 08:56 PM
What a fiasco! I am keeping the 86' this year. I had a buyer from Nashville all ready to go, last Thursday I picked the boat up from a local dealership (not the MC Dealer) All they had to do was give it a once over and fiddle with the carb as it was running funky sometimes. I just wanted the boat perfect for the new owner. $400 later......... I take it out on the water and test it, it runs like cocka!!! So I call the buyer who had planned to drive from Nashville Friday AM to get it and tell him to hold off as it was running bad, I didn't want to send him on his way merry way with a boat that wasn't as promised. Soo... given I own a 2002 Vette' until it all gets sorted out and all the legal fees :rolleyes: we decided against getting a new boat (man I must be getting old! I am acting sensible! :D )

So I'll hold onto her for a year, probably blow some more money on it and who knows, next year I might just order me one at the boat show.

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Jeff that's a nice motor you have. It'll do 50? What prop dude?

6ballsisall
06-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, 50-51 on my GPS. The speedo's are worthless though! The prop is a Acme 541. I had the OJ Legend 4 blade rebuilt and it pulls around 48-49'ish. I am having a local guy tweak some stuff this weekend, trying to get the RPM's up. It won't rev past 4400 in gear, it should rev more than that with this setup

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Where did you get the heads?

6ballsisall
06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I didn't they were done on the boat when I got it. I found the specs on them, they are bassically GT40 wanna bee's.

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
How about the intake?

6ballsisall
06-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Victor JR High Rise Manifold. I can't remember if its the 8.25" or the 9" version. Between the heads, the high rise manifold, and the 750cfm Carb (and Mallory ignition) thats why I really think this thing should put out some more r's

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 09:30 PM
I have stock heads and a brand spanking new (never been on the water) installed Edelbrock Perfomrer 351 intake with electronic igntion with an Accel Super Coil and Holley 4160 carb.

6ballsisall
06-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Thats a nice setup, I'll be curious to know what you think of that performer manifold.

east tx skier
06-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I've been tickled pink with mine. :)

Tom Wortham
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM
What a fiasco! I am keeping the 86' this year. I had a buyer from Nashville all ready to go, last Thursday I picked the boat up from a local dealership (not the MC Dealer) All they had to do was give it a once over and fiddle with the carb as it was running funky sometimes. I just wanted the boat perfect for the new owner. $400 later......... I take it out on the water and test it, it runs like cocka!!! So I call the buyer who had planned to drive from Nashville Friday AM to get it and tell him to hold off as it was running bad, I didn't want to send him on his way merry way with a boat that wasn't as promised. Soo... given I own a 2002 Vette' until it all gets sorted out and all the legal fees :rolleyes: we decided against getting a new boat (man I must be getting old! I am acting sensible! :D )

So I'll hold onto her for a year, probably blow some more money on it and who knows, next year I might just order me one at the boat show.
JRandol, How many hours on your 86. Like yourself... I was going to sell my 86. Decided since it had such low hours 414, I would keep it. Not ready to dive into the $$$ for a new one. The great thing about it... I bought it over 10 years ago (I'm the second owner) and it's still worth the same amount of what I paid for it. :woohoo: I have skied behind my buddy's 01, x-9 - great boat... but, there is nothing like that wake on the 86... especially if you have lots of other "toys" in the water. Do you have a pic of your boat? If my memory is correct... they made 3 colors of that boat. Tan, Gray and White with either tan, black or blue decals. Wouldn't mind seeing that Vet as well. :D Regards.

6ballsisall
06-03-2005, 10:22 PM
JRandol, How many hours on your 86. Like yourself... I was going to sell my 86. Decided since it had such low hours 414, I would keep it. Not ready to dive into the $$$ for a new one. The great thing about it... I bought it over 10 years ago (I'm the second owner) and it's still worth the same amount of what I paid for it. :woohoo: I have skied behind my buddy's 01, x-9 - great boat... but, there is nothing like that wake on the 86... especially if you have lots of other "toys" in the water. Do you have a pic of your boat? If my memory is correct... they made 3 colors of that boat. Tan, Gray and White with either tan, black or blue decals. Wouldn't mind seeing that Vet as well. :D Regards.

Yep, the wake on this year boat is beyond the best IMO, there just isn't one.
I'll work on some new pics this weekend, Sunday probably. Mine is the exact same as yours except the prior owner took the side stickers off so the hull is plain white.

BriEOD
06-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Jeff--how do you like that Edelbrock carburetor?

6ballsisall
06-03-2005, 10:38 PM
It runs WAY stronger on top than the Holley. Tuning is a little more involved than the Holley. I am happy with it, the power is great and the price is much less than a new Holley 4160

6ballsisall
06-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Oh, sorry forgot to ad hours, 1100 total time, about 300 since all engine work