PDA

View Full Version : 82 S&S shutter, any ideas??

devanwon
08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
have a shutter in my 1982 S&S, it has a new prop, shaft, and seals...the trick here is I just bought the boat so not much info..... nothing appears to be bent or tweaked, any ideas are appreciated!!

bigmac
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
It's probably your prop or shaft.

ski_king
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
How is the alignment of the motor and the shaft?
Check the motor mounts and make sure they are not loose.

devanwon
08-02-2009, 11:55 PM
ok ill check to make sure the mounts are tight.... how do I check the prop/shaft with it in the boat? also this boat should be very smooth right, I know its not supposed to shimmy but how smooth will this be? thanks everyone!!

devanwon
08-04-2009, 01:53 AM
motor mounts did not seem loose at all... i looked at the shaft and the prop nothing jumps out at me though, where do I go from here? I did find an exhaust hose that was colapsing though, this would not cause that though right? or maybe it could if the motor was shimmying ???? what do you guys think, I am getting another hose tomorrow.

ski_king
08-04-2009, 08:54 AM
In your first post, you mentioned that the boat has a new prop, shaft, and seals.

The shaft was replaced for a reason. Under normal use there is no good reason to replace the shaft. It sounds like the prop took a strike at some point bad enough to bend the shaft.

If the shaft was bent, the strut may have been bent bad enough to cause the viabration.

Someone will come along soon and tell you the best way to check the alignment. I know how I would do it, but it may not be the best and simplest method.

....send pictures.... they always help

bigmac
08-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Would misalignment cause a shudder? I don't know, I suppose it could if it were far enough off, but if I interepret the description "shudder" correctly I'd be more inclined to think of a shaft or prop that wasn't true.

No way to check the prop IMHO without having an expert check the balance and consistency of pitch. I know for sure that a prop can LOOK perfect and still be off enough to cause vibration/shudder/shimmy.

Likewise, a shaft that isn't straight. I'd check that by laying a metal straightedge along it, or checking its runout.