PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Oil

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 03:07 AM
I have found some awesome advice on this forum, but I have done the search and can't seem to find anything about changing the oil.

I have a 1992 Prostar 190 with the 351 Indmar. It looks like my dealer has put a drain line on the bottom of the engine. It has a brass 90 degree fitting into the engine and then a long black rubber hose with a brass fitting on the end plugging it up. The hose is long enough that it will reach out the drain hole in the bottom of the bilge. I assume that it is used for removing the engine oil. The only problem is the last time I tried to do it myself, very little oil came out over a very long period of time. Do I have to pull a suction on the hose or put pressure on the top of the engine to get the oil to come out? If so, what tools or equipment did you use?

I would like to do it myself instead of paying way too much at the dealership. Any advice or assistance is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jimmer2880
06-02-2005, 06:53 AM
I usually let mine drain overnight. At least 12 hours. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but I do know that 12 hours is enough.You could buy one of those suction kits which suck it out of your dipstick tube.

Jayc
06-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Did mine last week.

Dropped the hose out the drain hole in the centre of the hull and then just let it drain. Took about a day to empty completely.

If you try it with the engine warm it'll save you some time as the oil will flow better.

jsonova99
06-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Same here, I let it sit overnight and then I use a pump going in through the dipstick tube to suck out whatever is left. Worked out pretty well. I think I got almost 5 quarts out last time doing it this way.

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Hmmm...mine drains pretty quickly. I put it through the hole and take off the removable cap on the valve cover (where you put the oil in). It moves at a pretty good rate.

jsonova99
06-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Hmmm...mine drains pretty quickly. I put it through the hole and take off the removable cap on the valve cover (where you put the oil in). It moves at a pretty good rate.

I may not have taken the cap off, maybe that's the secret. It would make sense.

T Scott
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
I always drain the oil when the engine is warm. Don't drain it as soon as you shut the motor off as the oil is still 140-160 degrees and will likely melt your oil container. (Don't ask how I know this... :) ) Wait a half hour or so and you should be fine.

ski_king
06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
.......then I use a pump going in through the dipstick tube to suck out whatever is left. .......
Just curious, how much more oil do you get out when you use the pump? I wonder how much I have been leaving behind.

jsonova99
06-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Just curious, how much more oil do you get out when you use the pump? I wonder how much I have been leaving behind.

Good question, it's been a few months but off the top of my head I think I got about a quarter to half of a quart? DOn't quote me on that though. I'm getting ready to do it again in about a week or two so I'll let you know for sure what I get out.

lakes Rick
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Warm up the engine first..

Tscott. Oil Drain pans will not melt from hot oil.. Plastic milk cartons will. Parts stores sell the correct oil drain pans.. When oil is warm or hot is "suspends" most of the dirt and crud that gets in your oil. Best to drain when warm..

I purchased an electric pump and it bolts to the drain line coming off what should be the drain plug hole.. Warm it up, suck it out in about 90 seconds, 5 qts of new, and right on the money..

My 94 Maristar does not have a rear drain ( apparently newer ones have both, a rear and center), and my line does not even come close to reaching the center hole, so I was left no alternative here...

east tx skier
06-02-2005, 12:31 PM
I got close to 5 out with a pump last fall. Warming it up is key.

Ryan
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
No one else addressed it; Aren't the drain hoses standard after 91 maybe eariler? I'd think you'd have to pull the engine to get that fitting on the bottom of the oil pan as an after market job.

Kell
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
In addition to the other posts above, what I use is an oil extraction/vaccum pump that I purchased at West Marine and then at the end of the oil extraction hose (connects to the oil pan) I bought a female adapter that will screw on the extraction hose and the other end is barbed which attaches to the vaccum hose. Works well and I can suck all the oil out in about 5 minutes.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 01:28 PM
In addition to the other posts above, what I use is an oil extraction/vaccum pump that I purchased at West Marine and then at the end of the oil extraction hose (connects to the oil pan) I bought a female adapter that will screw on the extraction hose and the other end is barbed which attaches to the vaccum hose. Works well and I can suck all the oil out in about 5 minutes.
The last picture is exactly what mine looks like. I don't know if the dealer put that on or the previous owner.

Kell - Do you attach the pump at the bottom onto your hose and suck it out the bottom, or do you suck it out the dipstick? Seems like it would be better to suck it out the bottom to get more of the stuff out. That is a good idea to attach the pump at the bottom if that is what you did.

Any idea how much that pump cost at West Marine?

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Just checked West Marine's website and it is $42.99. There must be a cheaper one around.

What oil filter do you guys use? Do you use the Mastercraft brand oil filter, or an aftermarket?

Kell
06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=DAinAZ]Kell - Do you attach the pump at the bottom onto your hose and suck it out the bottom, or do you suck it out the dipstick?/QUOTE]

Yes, I suck the oil out from the botton of the oil pan. You could probably find something less expensive, but West Marine was close by my home. I also use the same vaccum extractor for extraction of the transmission fluid as well. Others use drill pumps which you could setup and use in the same manner. They are cheap around $15 or so, but I liked the idea of the container so I can measure how much oil/transmission fluid I extract out.

Tom023
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Kell,

Do you know the thread size to the fitting? I have the pump and am going to use your method next time!

Kell
06-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Kell,

Do you know the thread size to the fitting? I have the pump and am going to use your method next time!

I don't recall the thread size, I just took the cap off the oil extension hose and took it to the hardware store and used the cap as a guide. I'll take a look at the connection I have and see if it has any indentifiers on it.

Thrall
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Bought a pump that runs off of a drill motor at Napa. Very reasonable, about $15. Couple adapters to screw to the drain hose. Sucks it dry in a couple minutes.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 05:32 PM
What oil filters do you use on your boats? Do you use Mastercraft brand from the dealer, or do you use something else? I run Mobile 1 synthetic in my engine. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Footin
06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I also use Mobil 1 and use a Wix (Napa) filter. IMHO Wix is one of the best filters on the market.

DAinAZ
06-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Now I am getting frustrated. I can't get my old oil filter off. The dealer must have cranked that thing down with a torque wrench. I've tried everything, by hand, a strap wrench and even the old screwdriver through the filter method without any luck. Now I just have a mess that used to be a filter, attached to the motor.

Any ideas how to get it off? I'm at wits end. I got a drill pump and fitting and then ran the engine. I didn't even get the pump on the end of the line and it started draining out fast. Within 15 minutes it was all drained out without having to use the pump. Could have been a 20 minute job if the filter would come off. Now I have a rag wrapped around it so it doesn't make any more of a mess in the bilge until I can figure out how to get it off.

HELP!!!!

Leroy
06-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I hate to suggest this and please do not take offense, but are you turning the right way? Screw driver through the filter always works! Righty tighty, lefty loosey (except for one side of bike pedals).

DAinAZ
06-03-2005, 02:31 AM
I hate to suggest this and please do not take offense, but are you turning the right way? Screw driver through the filter always works! Righty tighty, lefty loosey (except for one side of bike pedals).
No, I don't take offense at this point. Although I was turning it the right way. The screwdriver just tore through the outside walls when I tried to turn it.

Thanks for the advise, but anyone got anything else?? I want to go out Saturday with my boy who just got a new wakeboard, so I have to get this off tomorrow, now that I have holes in it!!

brianaw26
06-03-2005, 02:43 AM
punch one screw driver in it and another screw driver at a 90 degree angle to it, further up the filter. get someone else to turn one screwdriver, and you turn the other one. should pop right off. there is more contact that way and shouldnt tear the metal.

André
06-03-2005, 07:54 AM
The threads size on the end of the drain hose are 1/4 inch NPT.

Leroy
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
You may be ready for the other extreme tools tin snips and vice grips. I'm pretty sure I could get it off with those! Tapping with a hammer is always good to help break a seal.

Ryan
06-03-2005, 01:14 PM
It sounds like someone didn't wet the gasket with oil when they put this one on. What kind of filter wrench are you using - band, strap, open end type? With the two chisels try them parrallel to each other and two inches apart, put handles 180 degrees opposed, then you can turn it in a better angle of rotation. The chisels will offer more surface area to prevent tearing through the metal.

BarefootWt
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
I had the same set up with my 1985 Stars and Stripes. Let your engine warm up first (140 or so), then let it drain. It is necessary to take off the filler/breather cap from the valve cover, as well as pop the PCV out to allow suction/gravity to work better. It should complete within 20 minutes. I used to do it standing in the water under my boat sitting on a hoist - no problems - 20 minutes.

ski_king
06-03-2005, 05:10 PM
I have found it better to get the bow as low as possible to get all the oil out.
I usually drop the tounge jack to the ground, but have also pulled (not backed) down the lauching ramp to get the bow low. This always brings a few comments from others not knowing what I am up to.

DAinAZ
06-03-2005, 07:30 PM
... What kind of filter wrench are you using - band, strap, open end type?

I am using a strap wrench that I got from Home Depot. It grips the filter tight and doesn't slip, but it won't budge. Someone from work here also told me to try using a chisel near the base of the filter and using a hammer, tap it at an angle to loosen up the filter. He said since the base of the filter is beefier than the rest of the filter, it might get a good bite. I'm going to try that tonight.

lakes Rick
06-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I am using a strap wrench that I got from Home Depot. It grips the filter tight and doesn't slip, but it won't budge. Someone from work here also told me to try using a chisel near the base of the filter and using a hammer, tap it at an angle to loosen up the filter. He said since the base of the filter is beefier than the rest of the filter, it might get a good bite. I'm going to try that tonight.

Are you using a 3/8 drive ratchet?? Get a 1/2 " breaker bar on it.. This type of strap was the only way to get my water filter off the first time I changed it....

BriEOD
06-03-2005, 09:23 PM
If all else fails, take a long shanked, slim flat screwdriver and use a hammer to punch it all the way through the filter (beware oil will drain out). Once you get it through use the handle as leverage to turn the filter. Repeat this process until you get it loosen enough to use your strap wrench or by hand.

MarkP
06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Brian, I think he has a few screwdrivers sticking out of it already. I hate when they are on that tight. The first time I changed the oil in my last boat it was like that. It was a screaming mess..

The chisel at the base isn’t a bad idea because its closer to the threads.

BriEOD
06-03-2005, 10:14 PM
My apologies for not reading.

east tx skier
06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
My fuel/water seperator was a biatch to get off, too, Mark. And screaming at it didn't help, unfortunately (at least not in my case). All the more reason to change it early and often.

DAinAZ
06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I DID IT!!! I finally got the filter off. As you can see from the picture, I tried several things to get it off before it finally budged.

I tried using a chisel at the base and tap it in the direction of rotation it needed to go, but that didn't work.

I tried a strap wrench around it, but that only crushed and twisted the filter itself.

I used the screwdriver method, but it just tore through the filter.

I finally used a chisel through the filter to get it to move. Even with the chisel, I had to put all my weight into it to get it to move. Then I turned it about 30 degrees, and had to insert the chisel again because the handle was hitting the fuel pump and I still couldn't turn it by hand. Had to insert the chisel 3 times before I could move it by hand.

The best news I am proud to say, is that I didn't get any oil on my carpet! New filter is on and I am back up and running. As far as I am concerned.....this thread is complete thanks to everyone's advice.

erkoehler
06-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Now I am really looking forward to that first oil change!

dmgroh
06-04-2005, 01:03 PM
For what it's worth...If you can't get that oil drain hose to flow, try poking a length of weed wacker nylon string-thicker the better-up through the drain hose. It is possible that the inlet to that hose inside the pan is partially clogged.

Also, allow me to flame for a minute. What idiot would change their oil cold?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Now I am really looking forward to that first oil change!
I hope your first oil change won't be the boats's first!

This is usually only a problem when trying to get the factory installed filter off.....unless someone used an oil filter wrench to put the filter on.....the wrench should only be used to get a filter off then tighten the new one as tight as you can get it by hand and future problems will be avoided.

DAinAZ
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
As my friend that helped me last night said, you either change your oil all the time yourself, or you never change the oil yourself. Either way, it will either be done right and you won't fight with it, or let someone else fight with it.

lakes Rick
06-04-2005, 03:12 PM
One add here from the old sage...

Poking a hole in the bottom side of the filter and letting it drain takes away the potential for an oil mess. So part of what you did was good.

I use the "camaro" filter on my boat ( V-drive BIATCH) It is shorter than a truck filter and alot easier to accomodate in the boat.. yeah its a little shorter, but in a boat I have to assume you are changing your oil alot more than in a car and using a good filter ( non fram)..

Leroy
06-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Way to go DAinAZ!:toast:

Ben
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Another thing I found on the drain hoses is that fitting on the bottom of my engine isn't oriented as I would think optimal, it points almost straight backward. Ideal would be forward - toward drain hole. Therefore, I need to allow enough extra line in the rubber hose not to kink it when running it through the hull drain. THis may be another reason the oil isn't flowing out, was for me.

DAinAZ
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Another thing I found on the drain hoses is that fitting on the bottom of my engine isn't oriented as I would think optimal, it points almost straight backward. Ideal would be forward - toward drain hole. Therefore, I need to allow enough extra line in the rubber hose not to kink it when running it through the hull drain. THis may be another reason the oil isn't flowing out, was for me.
Mine is pointing towards the drain hole, so no problems there. I think the main thing last time I tried it was that the oil was not warm enough to flow well. This time I kept it hot enough to drain right out.