PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Report

PE4ME
06-02-2005, 12:34 AM
I am not intending to bash, but I have to share. I have a set of Pioneer 6.5's (mid-grade- I am guessing) 100$ installed in front panels of PS205 and a pair of Clarion 6.5's in the rear. I guess I didnt notice a difference last year when I was running them off the head unit but with a 4-channel 50watt RMS Alpine amp- there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison. I may be comparing apples to oranges, but I believe they were similarly rated marine speakers...if nothing else, the Pioneer was cheaper. Low or high volume, the Pioneer were clearly louder and much more crisp...
This is unbiased as I have always had Clarion products...good, dependable, but in this instance I am left scratching my head.
For what its worth....

erkoehler
06-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the info. Definetly not a bash, very informative.

I am looking to install a stereo in the near future, any other suggestions you may have?

JDK
06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
P4ME;
What year is your 205?
Post some pics if you can. I'm also about to do an install and would appreciate seeing what you've done.
Thanks.

jayocheskey
06-02-2005, 01:43 AM
I've got an '04 210 with the 6.5 Clarion speaker separates. The speakers made THAT much of a difference? If so, I'm may have to go ahead and replace mine as well. I'm having a JL Audio amp installed today. It will power the four boat speakers as well as the two tower speakers.

JDK
06-02-2005, 01:49 AM
I've noticed during my shopping that $60 auto speakers sound MUCH better than $120 marine speakers. Do you guys agree?
(I'm planning on using car speakers)

MarkP
06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
I've noticed during my shopping that $60 auto speakers sound MUCH better than $120 marine speakers. Do you guys agree?
(I'm planning on using car speakers)Yep I agree, hands down!!

sizzler
06-02-2005, 08:02 AM
without seeming stupid....whats the main difference???

MarkP
06-02-2005, 08:17 AM
without seeming stupid....whats the main difference???
Technically I donít know. But price and sound are a lot different between the two.

PE4ME
06-02-2005, 09:22 AM
JDK- its a 94, speakers are in the stock locations, amp is under dash mounted to diamond plate on the back side of the walk through panel. Pics to come...

Again, I am not saying the clarions sound bad, the Pioneers are just that much louder, flat out... no ____. I am thinking the peak and RMS are less on the clarion, but again not much if they were and $ was the same.

I would recommend these, I have not had them "loud" for more than a CD so can not comment on longevity but they seem like they will hold up just fine. When I get to the moms I will look and see exactly what the specs are...

rem_pss308
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I have all pioneer Car speakers in mine.They have the poly cones. They are cheaper. But as far as the specs they match the high end speakers pretty close.
When I bought myt boat ( used) it had marine speakers in it. they were in bad shape. I removed them. The backs were rusted, and the cones were torn. I decided then that it couldnt hurt to put auto speakers in it. I have had the boat almost three years now, and no problems. And they do sound good. especiall y with an amp.

jayocheskey
06-07-2005, 05:22 AM
I've also got a pair of the Pioneer oversized 6.5" speakers. They DO sound much more crisp and clean than the 6.5" Clarions in the boat. Next step is to replace the 4 boat speakers. I've heard that Polk also makes a great 6.5" speaker.