PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis - Honest Opinions

Ryan
07-31-2009, 01:10 AM
I was approached about a job in Minneapolis and officially put in for it yesterday. I am confident I'll get an offer...I'll have to make sure the salary bump and relo deal outway any losses on my home in OH.

Minneapolis is one of the few metro areas in the US that I haven't ventured to (outside of the airport).
Here's what I know:
- it looks like Columbus, a bit bigger
- has a ton of lakes
- there are a few snow ski areas, but have no idea if they're any good
- houses are a little more expensive but are much lower than 2 yrs ago
- it gets a little chilly
- it's not as far west as I'd like to be, but could swing it for 2-4 yrs
- it's a great market to further my career in CPG and retail business, and extensive lake front property could make it an appealing location for a longer stint.

I'd appreciate any insights on the area and some pros & cons. Is the housing market expected to go back up?

bigmac
07-31-2009, 08:26 AM
The Twin Cities is a very nice urban environment. Plenty of services, friendly people, good restaraunts, all that stuff. It's not much different than most other cities of similar size.

Minnesota is a nice place to live, but yes, it can get snowy, and it can get cold. Bring a warm jacket.

Ben
07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Brother in law has been there a few years. I think he likes it, although it does get COLD there. A whole new kinda of cold. Weeks below zero can happen. You just need to embrace it, get out and skate or ice fish (drink beer), or something. If you stay in & complain, it will suck.

They seem to have a great system of bike / walking paths and trails to get around, we have rode on them some before - VERY NICE.

Agree - with the # of lakes, you could end up with one in your backyard. Kinda like where we're at in Michigan.

jake
07-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Here's what I know:
- it looks like Columbus, a bit bigger
- has a ton of lakes
- there are a few snow ski areas, but have no idea if they're any good
- houses are a little more expensive but are much lower than 2 yrs ago
- it gets a little chilly
- it's not as far west as I'd like to be, but could swing it for 2-4 yrs
- it's a great market to further my career in CPG and retail business, and extensive lake front property could make it an appealing location for a longer stint.

I'd appreciate any insights on the area and some pros & cons. Is the housing market expected to go back up?

Columbus is ~1.5m, Minneapolis is ~3m people. Have spent some time in Columbus, would say it feels more 'small town' than Minni. Upside of Minni is you get most of the features of a large citi (good restaurants, local music scene, respectable art institute, research university, etc.) but it's still quite small and easy to get around. There are some great areas to live, Chanhassen was just named top small town to live by Money Mag, Plymouth was named #1 for locations over 100,000 population last year. Generally the things that end up making Minneapolis area rank highly on quality of life:

1. Good economy - I think at last count there were 13 fortune 100 companies based in Minneapolis, which provides an excellent professional job market. You're in retail, Best Buy, Target, SuperValue....
2. Top notch public schools. Edina public schools are perennial top 10 in the nation, Wayzata and Minnetonka districts are also exceptional, and really hard to go wrong with any of the suburban districts although some are better than others.
3. Access to healthcare - with the University of Minnesota located in Minneapolis proper and the Mayo clinic in Rochester.
4. Home prices - high for the mid-west, but still very affordable on the national scale
5. The airport is excellent. You can get almost anywhere in the continental direct with multiple daily options. International you can go direct to Paris, Tokyo, or London. Other international travel typically goes through Amsterdam (for Europe and Africa) or Tokyo (for Asia). I travel extensively for work, so this is a huge factor for me.

Lake front property is available, but for a real/livable house in the metro area be prepared to spend some coin. Mine is actually for sale now, nice recreational lake with a good skiing community/group, although everyone else drives Natiques:-). A small group of us own and maintain a slalom course on our lake.

One major drawback of living here is every other year when the f'n Buckeyes come to town to trounce our Golden Gopher football team. Their fans block out the sun...OH-IO, OH-IO...it's like a recurring bad dream, it's an away game at our own stadium...Fu#$ Bucky!

And yes, it can get a little brisk in Jan-Feb time frame.

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Wow my choices are Ohio or Minnesota??? Silver bullet please. :D

209er
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey Ryan

I'm in OH too and in CPG but unemployed at the moment. I've been and stayed in MN many times. Love the cities! Spent some time out in the suburbs and they're great too. In my opinion, the only down side is winter. It gets COLD! I'm taking this time in my career (or the lack of one) to move to the southeast, at least that's where the resumes are going. I want warmer winters. I've had enough winters here in Cleveland and I'd like to get a place in the southeast near a lake (ski lake). Good luck with MN. You call on Target?

bigmac
07-31-2009, 11:08 AM

http://www.miami-med.com/images/28-50.jpg

And no...it doesn't use batteries.

east tx skier
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Ryan, just because I figure this question will come up at some point. With your plugs installed and the block drained, remove the rw hose that runs from the output side of the pump housing to the thermostat from the pump side. Jam a funnel into it and hold it as high as you can above the t-stat housing. Then pour as much rv antifreeze (roughly two gallons) into it as you can.

:)

#47of100TeamMC
07-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Minneapolis is nice. I sit here right now downtown minneapolis, I choose to commute 35miles one way to work. Not a big deal. We have a handful of lakes with in a 15min drive of our house. There are plenty of places to ski in the metro area too. A decent amount of tournaments if you are into that. Show ski teams are performing weekly. Yes it does get cold here. But It's kind of fun to sit on a bucket and drink a beer in the same spot you just skied on a few months earlier. Plus you may catch a fish or 2 by accident while your enjoying your favorite brew on ice. Call me Crazy, but I like the seasons. It makes you yearn for the day the ice melts and you can get the boat back on the lake and take a set in your drysuit with nobody else on the lake to bother you. It kind of re-juvinates the fire.

And if I can't convince you that ice fishing is a blast... maybe the "Bikini Ice Fishing Team" can!
http://www.clubexoticaswimwear.com/bift/index.php
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rUC5aqAmIDE/SWWxv4NeA1I/AAAAAAAAAIY/IadnIM1ntlI/s400/bikini+team.JPG

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.miami-med.com/images/28-50.jpg

And no...it doesn't use batteries.

OK I give what is it and why do I need it. :D

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Ryan, just because I figure this question will come up at some point. With your plugs installed and the block drained, remove the rw hose that runs from the output side of the pump housing to the thermostat from the pump side. Jam a funnel into it and hold it as high as you can above the t-stat housing. Then pour as much rv antifreeze (roughly two gallons) into it as you can.

:)

Off the charts funny there. :D

east tx skier
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Off the charts funny there. :D

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :)

jamisonsbrodie
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
The reason that most of us live here is because the summers are so nice, cuz the winters suck. It is a great area however with more to do than anyone can afford. There are 3 private tournament lakes within 50 miles of downtown Mpls with available lots, and many public lakes with decent water. If you will be working out of your home, then you can choose the best area for skiing. I ski on a public lake on the west side that has a submersible course, and there are several others near me with courses. If you like a social boating scene, you can not beat Lake Minnetonka-Lots of cruisers and bikinis. If you like golf, there are a lot of good courses, although the season is short for that as well. As far as snow skiing, it is a joke, but it is better than nothing. There are several resorts within 4-5 hours that are good for midwest skiing, but nothing even remotely close to the West. Good luck, and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

bigmac
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM

OK I give what is it and why do I need it. :D

It's a Fansler Operating Anoscope, also known in surgical circles as "the silver bullet". I knew you'd be needing one, sooner or later.

/

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't be afraid of the winters here. Sure they get cold but you can always put mote clothes on. And don't forget the snowmobile action in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Thousands of miles of well groomed trails. Where else can you legally go 120 mph? For me, hopping on the sled is as addicting as firing up the mastercraft. Did I mention fishing?

bigmac
07-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Don't be afraid of the winters here. Sure they get cold but you can always put mote clothes on. And don't forget the snowmobile action in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Thousands of miles of well groomed trails. Where else can you legally go 120 mph? For me, hopping on the sled is as addicting as firing up the mastercraft. Did I mention fishing?

Heh...nothing legal about 120 mph on a snowmobile, just lower liklihood of getting caught.

True about the winters, though. If you or your spouse are pretty sensitive to cold weather, that could be a deal breaker. If the thought of -30 is abhorrent to you....Minnesota may not be for you.

Minnesota is pretty much all one big outdoor playground though. The people that live here do so mostly to enjoy the seasons including winter. And when we get old and crotchety, we start spending the winters in Florida or Texas (we call 'em snowbirds).

Jeff Foxworthy on Minnesota (funny, but definite grains of truth in each statement):

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through
18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,
You might live in MN

If you're proud that your state makes the
national news 96 nights
each year because International Falls is the coldest spot in the nation,
You might live in Minnesota.

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too spendy",

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March,

If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don' t work there,

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the
middle of his forehead,

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time,

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches,

If you know how to say....Wayzata...Mahtomedi.... Cloquet
Edina... and Shakopee,

If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy,

If vacation means going "up north" for the weekend,

If you measure distance in hours,

If you know several people, who have hit deer more than once,

If you often switch from "Heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again,

If you can drive 65 mph through
2 feet of snow
during a raging blizzard without flinching,

If you see people wearing hunting clothes at social events,

If you install security lights on your house and garage and
leave both unlocked,

If you think of the major food groups as beer, fish, and Venison,

If you carry jumper cables in your car, and your girlfriend or wife knows
how to use them,

If There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at Mill's Fleet Farm
at any given time,

If you design your kid's Halloween
costume to fit over a snowsuit,

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow,

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter,
and of course, road construction,

If you can identify a
southern or eastern accent,

If your idea of creative landscaping is a plastic deer next
to your blue spruce,

If "Down South" to you means Iowa,

If you know "a brat" is something
you eat,

If you find -10 degrees "a little chilly",

corey
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Born and raised in MN, no intentions of leaving anytime soon. As already stated the lakes and biking are incredible and lake front homes are much more affordable now than a couple years ago.

The local ski hills are tiny and the winters are cold which makes for some great winter vacations.

I just posted this somewhere else but figured it might help give you an idea of what morning sets look like around here.

Kevin@MWMC
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Heh...nothing legal about 120 mph on a snowmobile, just lower liklihood of getting caught.

True about the winters, though. If you or your spouse are pretty sensitive to cold weather, that could be a deal breaker. If the thought of -30 is abhorrent to you....Minnesota may not be for you.

Minnesota is pretty much all one big outdoor playground though. The people that live here do so mostly to enjoy the seasons including winter. And when we get old and crotchety, we start spending the winters in Florida or Texas (we call 'em snowbirds).

Jeff Foxworthy on MINNESOTA-

Wow, that is pretty good Mac and pretty much all true!!! Thanks for posting, I have never seen that before.

It seems like everyone has Minneapolis pretty well covered, winters really aren't too bad. Born and raised in MN, and you will get used to the seasons and come to enjoy them. There are plenty of things to do like ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, HOCKEY!!!, get to know hockey while you are here, it is really big in Minny! I can't believe nobody has said anything about HOCKEY!?!?

And when winter is ending, there is that great feeling and anticipation of being able to pull the boat out and put it on the water! Also for the summers, there are a lot of top rated Golf courses in the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin that will be worth the trip.

Like everyone has said Minneapolis and surrounding area is great, lots of restaurants, local attractions, pretty much everything you need. Also St. Paul is just across the river and there is a a lot of stuff to see there as well.

peason
07-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Moved here 6 years ago from Central IL. we love it in the Twin Cities! Summers are great! a lot less humid - so you can enjoy the outdoors. We haven't turned on the air conditioner in 2 years. Lucky enough to buy a lake front home 3 years ago. We have a blast in all of the weather - snowmobile and skate on the ice in winter - water ski and swim in the summer, when ever we leave for a vacation - we always wonder why we left our "vacation" home.

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM
It's a Fansler Operating Anoscope, also known in surgical circles as "the silver bullet". I knew you'd be needing one, sooner or later.

/

Your thoughtfulness knows no boundaries, :D that thing looks horrible. :mad:

snork
07-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Did anyone mention the state bird is a MOSQUITO

puck_11
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
I lived in Minnesota for 18 years before I left for college and eventually the Navy. Having lived all over the country now, I definitely want to make it back and retire there at some point. Yeah, people ***** about the cold in the winter, but the summers make up for it. The only thing MN doesn't have is mountains, so the skiing isn't great, but I'm guessing it wasn't all that great in OH either.

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
I keep hearing about this summer thing, 6 weeks does not make a summer gentlemen.

50067 50067

snork
07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken there is only 2 seasons, Winter and Road construction:D

corey
07-31-2009, 05:34 PM
The 6 week summer is just something we tell the wally's to keep all the butter sets to ourselves!

Roonie's
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
I moved to the twin cities for two years from Seattle and recently moved back to Seattle. We went there for work with a possibility of staying for a long time. However same work sent us back West again. We really enjoyed our stay in MN and have nothing but great things to say about it. We bought an MC (from Corey poster above at midwest MC) as a good way to get to know the state and explore it lake by lake. We had a great time and the twin cities are really nice. Very family orientated State with a strong emphasis on education which we really liked. Also everyone has a religion to some degree which was also refreshing coming from Seattle the most agnostic city in America (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the religion plays into the family values and family focused activities everywhere. Met some great friends.

I met a couple folks posting in this thread in person (Corey and Peason) as we lived near Phil and would always be on his lake. Good people.

We have nothing negative to say about MN for our time living there. We lived in a big field so away from trees so we had zero mosquitos. The winter was a little harsh when it gets into the negative temps. Two seasons winter and summer (road construction). I wore shorts for 6 months straight last summer. Great lakes and many to choose from. We were always the only one or maybe a few ski/wakeboard boats on the lake, the majority are fisherman. Here in Seattle MC and Malibu's etc can be counted by the twenties on a given day.

Ben
07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Looking for a pull in Minnie / St. P:-

Quick threadjack - we're visiting brother in law wk of 8/10 - would love an excuse to pack the ski or board in the van. Anyone looking for a 3rd for morning (or anytime) sets? PM if possible so this doesn't entirely threadjack the original post, please. Thanks.

jake
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Moved here 6 years ago from Central IL. we love it in the Twin Cities! Summers are great! a lot less humid - so you can enjoy the outdoors. We haven't turned on the air conditioner in 2 years. Lucky enough to buy a lake front home 3 years ago. We have a blast in all of the weather - snowmobile and skate on the ice in winter - water ski and swim in the summer, when ever we leave for a vacation - we always wonder why we left our "vacation" home.

You must be 'up-north'. No AC in two years?

snork
08-01-2009, 12:34 AM
If I were you I'd stay off the Bridges

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2009, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=bigmac;619778]Heh...nothing legal about 120 mph on a snowmobile, just lower liklihood of getting caught.

For what its worth, 120 is legal in Wisconsin during daylight hours. Makes crossing the lakes a quick squeeze of the thumb.

And the Foxworthy lines sure do have real foundation.

bigmac
08-01-2009, 02:39 AM
For what its worth, 120 is legal in Wisconsin during daylight hours. Makes crossing the lakes a quick squeeze of the thumb.

Heh...that assumes you can find a Wisconsin DNR Enforcement Agent that believes that 120 mph EVER is "reasonable and proper". OTOH, it does mean they aren't out setting up radar traps like they do in Minnesota.

TX.X-30 fan
08-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Heh...that assumes you can find a Wisconsin DNR Enforcement Agent that believes that 120 mph EVER is "reasonable and proper". OTOH, it does mean they aren't out setting up radar traps like they do in Minnesota.

On the lake????

Minnesota "the land of 10,000 taxes." :D

This has to be a proud moment in history for Minnesota.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Having known several conversation officers, as long as you are on a marked trail, fully under control of your machine, and not endangering anyone, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going as fast as your sled will take you. Of course that is assuming that you haven't been drinking.

Wisconsin has cracked down hard on drunken snowmobilers in the last few years. They realize that the two main contributing factors in snowmobile accidents are alcohol and riding off the marked trail. Eliminate those two factors and you lose 85% of the accidents.

The trails in WI and MN are some of the finest and safest you will find anywhere.

Ryan
08-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow, where to begin?? I thought I’d have three responses to this thread. Rather than hit reply a hundred times, I'll cover all in one.

Bigmac – Yes, I’d need a new jacket. I don’t think my snow ski gear will suffice. Your little device looks awfully painful, that goes in the ear right? ;)

Ben & Goliath – Glad to hear people get out. In OH most tend to hibernate from Oct-May. My kids are usually the only ones out playing in the snow, on the rare occasion that we get some.

Jake – good input. I hear you on the Buckeyes, but their enthusiasm is fun. Plus, the lakes here get much smoother on game days, home or away.

TX.X-30 – It’s only temporary, it’s not like a jail term…although a job, like prison, if you perform well you get out early for good behavior.

209er – Who did you work for in Cleveland? I’m a brand manager for Z o n e P e r f e c t right now, the job is for a customer business manager on our SuperValu team. Going back to a co. car will be nice, but I’d sure miss my manual G35 too.

Doug – I’ve winterized twice now in OH, but those MN temps might make me want to do it twice. How does vinyl not crack to pieces when it suffers -30? Maybe I’ll winterize it with 303 antifreeze mix ;)

#47 – I’m not patient enough for fishing. Casting is fun and relaxing, I can do that for about an hour max. Hanging out in a shanty certainly has the social/hang out appeal though.

Jamison – I like the idea of a bigger city with a more vibrant downtown, especially when it’s surrounded by a ton of lakes. I looked up a few resorts and they are no match to the Wasatch front or Sierras that I prefer, but they look good enough for teaching my kids to ski.

Thatsmr & bigmac - the real downside to the extreme cold are heating bills and the thought of having another child -20 hurts my lungs…maybe parents hold off to have their kids in the spring…

Corey – enviable lakefront you’ve got there. Unlike Columbus, at least there are direct flights to get all over the country, like out to SLC for some real mountains.

Peason and others – good to hear on the humidity. I haven’t checked lake front prices too much, but it looks a bit steeper than I’d hoped.

Snork – how bad are the mosquitos? Anyone been to Montana for a comparison?

Puck / Roonie’s – glad to hear some weighing in some comparisons to the West, as my favorite cities now are Portland, SLC, Boise, Denver, and Heber/Park City UT at the top.

bigmac
08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Thatsmr & bigmac - the real downside to the extreme cold are heating bills and the thought of having another child -20 hurts my lungs…maybe parents hold off to have their kids in the spring…

We never paid much attention to that when the kids were little - family snowmobiling in below zero temps was common. Several of my friends and I, and my son when he was 12, were out doing full-day snowmobiling up on the North Shore (of Lake Superior) during the week the state record for low temps was set (1996 ... minus 60 F). That was cold, but we still had a blast.

Seriously, though, if really cold weather frightens you or makes you want to just stay indoors, you might not want to live in Minnesota. It doesn't happen all that often anymore these days, but it does happen.

TX.X-30 fan
08-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Great response Ryan, bigmac is trying to keep foreigners out apparently.

Ryan
08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Great response Ryan, bigmac is trying to keep foreigners out apparently.

Thanks for the support, but you do live in a place that only gets down to 32 degrees like once a decade. Speaking of Austin, if I get this job, I won't be going to SXSW as a premier sponsor in Mar...:(

So, Minnesotans, is this info inaccurate from city-data.com? I can handle temps in the single digits as long as the cold dips to -20 are in spurts, not if -20 is the high for two months straight.

TX.X-30 fan
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the support, but you do live in a place that only gets down to 32 degrees like once a decade. Speaking of Austin, if I get this job, I won't be going to SXSW as a premier sponsor in Mar...:(
So, Minnesotans, is this info inaccurate from city-data.com? I can handle temps in the single digits as long as the cold dips to -20 are in spurts, not if -20 is the high for two months straight.

I did not winterise last year for the first time in 4 years. :D

I have not been to SXSW, who are/were you with that sponsors?? Damn we should have had a coldbeer.

It briefly froze 3 times last year I'll have you know. :D

Ryan
08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I did not winterise last year for the first time in 4 years. :D

I have not been to SXSW, who are/were you with that sponsors?? Damn we should have had a coldbeer.

It briefly froze 3 times last year I'll have you know. :D

My current brand Z o n e P e r f e c t was and will be a premiere sponsor - we're not up on the '10 site yet since we don't get our AP&G budget until Sept/Oct. That reminds me, I'd better go back and add some spaces to the name or the agency search bots will put it into the monthly web report.

jamisonsbrodie
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM

The daily average is about +20, in Jan. but it is not uncommon to have a week of temps below zero at any given time. It definately is not 2 months straight of -20, although it may feel that way to newbies.

Granite_33
08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Franken will be your senator.......

Almost enough to tank the deal.....

I moved from OH to MI.

Winters are worse......summers are better..........

Fine tradeoff by my analysis........no regrets.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Being a life-long resident of Minnesota I know a few others who share my sentiments that while that failed comedian is a senator for the state of Minnesota, he is not my senator. Never thought I would be embarrassed by a MN politician more than Jesse Ventura. What the he!! is with MN voters????

That said, it is still a great place to live.

bigmac
08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Being a life-long resident of Minnesota I know a few others who share my sentiments that while that failed comedian is a senator for the state of Minnesota, he is not my senator. Never thought I would be embarrassed by a MN politician more than Jesse Ventura. What the he!! is with MN voters????

That said, it is still a great place to live.

Franken at least hasn't done or said anything to overtly embarrass Minnesotans (yet), while Jesse Ventura did that on almost a daily basis. Furthermore, hard to conceive of a goofier guy as senator than Paul Wellstone.

bigmac
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Graphs are interesting, but on a year-to-year basis mean nothing.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but trust me, it gets cold. You will see a lot of single digit temps, and you will see stretches of below zero temps, and you will see occasional stretches of -20 or colder. Usually, we see those -20 stretches in January, last winter it was weeks of consistent -20 in December.

Maristar210
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Graphs are interesting, but on a year-to-year basis mean nothing.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but trust me, it gets cold. You will see a lot of single digit temps, and you will see stretches of below zero temps, and you will see occasional stretches of -20 or colder. Usually, we see those -20 stretches in January, last winter it was weeks of consistent -20 in December.

Or in other words, "we don't want anymore Buckeyes in Gopher country"

bigmac
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Or in other words, "we don't want anymore Buckeyes in Gopher country"

Heh. I'm not trying to talk him out of coming, I'm trying to do him a favor by giving him the cold, hard truth.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Franken at least hasn't done or said anything to overtly embarrass Minnesotans (yet), while Jesse Ventura did that on almost a daily basis. Furthermore, hard to conceive of a goofier guy as senator than Paul Wellstone.

Give him time - he will get around to it. Meanwhile , our pal Jesse is rumored to have come up with a new television program. And don't forget Rudy with the chopstick factory.

And you are being fair with your forewarning of the cool weather. Perhaps you should have asked Ryan of his political preferences? Maybe we should be doing some careful recruiting.

Ryan
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I am motivated to run for office at some point in my life. MN would be a good place to start since just about anyone can be elected there ...I've already been nominated by this forum to run the Federeal Reserve so I'll start with that financial platform :) Becoming a senator is clearly more achievable and this country could use a few more good republicans senators.

TX.X-30 fan
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I would rather have Bernie (from weekend at Bernie's) as my senator than Frankin.

Ben
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
A positive spin to the cold is you actually get (and retain) snow & can enjoy cold weather things. Whereas in Columbus (lived there for 4 yrs), it may snow, but it is gone the next day. Plus you also get a lot of the 30-35 deg sleet crap. On the car, on the roads, etc.

That is a big plus to me in michigan, as we can play in the snow, skate on the lake, do stuff like that. Played hockey for the 1st time last yr & had a blast. We've had 1 ice storm in the 8 yrs we've been here, vs a lot of sleet in Columbus.

bcampbe7
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I am motivated to run for office at some point in my life. MN would be a good place to start since just about anyone can be elected there ...I've already been nominated by this forum to run the Federeal Reserve so I'll start with that financial platform :) Becoming a senator is clearly more achievable and this country could use a few more good republicans senatos.

Getting elected right now may not be too difficult given the way our senators are acting. ;)

bigmac
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
We are all speaking as if ANY of our elected representatives in House or Senate were honest, moral, and truly put the interests of their constituents ahead of their own power, income, and re-election bids. A lot of adjectives can be used to describe these people, but I'm certainly not sure that any used to describe Franken are worse than can be used to describe any of the other idiots we all have in Congress.

Kind of silly for residents of one state to point fingers at the elected representatives of another. "Those who live in glass houses..."

Not defending Al Franken...I'm indicting all the rest of those bozos.

TX.X-30 fan
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Kind of silly for residents of one state to point fingers at the elected representatives of another. "Those who live in glass houses..."

Not defending Al Franken...I'm indicting all the rest of those bozos.

I live in Texas, not a glass house although I have a bunch of windows on the back. :D

Your not comparing frankin to the last few senators from Texas i hope.

I had no idea you voted for Al my appologies. :D

TX.X-30 fan
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Not to say we haven't and don't have a bunch of losers in there.

LBJ
Sheila lee
Henry B gonzales

Dogget

My main concern would be how he was seated and not so much him being a complete idiot.

bigmac
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Not to say we haven't and don't have a bunch of losers in there.

LBJ
Sheila lee
Henry B gonzales

Dogget

Thank you for sparing me the trouble of writing that post

My main concern would be how he was seated and not so much him being a complete idiot.

The vote was too close to call, Supreme Court determined he was the winner. What could be more American?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
The vote was too close to call, Supreme Court determined he was the winner. What could be more American?[/QUOTE]

And I thought the politics were corrupt in New Orleans.

gimmemoedmb
08-07-2009, 01:25 AM
I feel like MN is underrated, but I've also lived here my whole life and have no intentions of leaving so I could be bias. I'm one of the few that actually loves the cold and I also love the seasons. Once October hits I can't wait for winter, and by the end of March the lakes can't thaw soon enough. I do love ice fishing and actually enjoy catching fish, although I do always have a beer in my hand when doing so. The other nice thing about winter is your beer never gets warm! If the girls downtown Mpls can handle standing outside waiting to get into their favorite bar wearing not much more than a bikini in 20 below weather, I think anyone can handle it.

I didn't even realize there were so many lakes with courses around here. I know of 5 or so in the metro but it sounds like there are some others I'm not aware of. How does one go about getting in on one of these courses? Obviously some are on private lakes but I know of a few on public lakes, but I'm not just going to show up and ski a course on a public lake...

TX.X-30 fan
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
The vote was too close to call, Supreme Court determined he was the winner. What could be more American?

Your pulling my chain now. :confused:

Lucky for frankin he killed him on the under count, at a pace far beyond the actual election returns.

fraudulent elections is the real concern from now going forward. Texas tried its darnedest to have voters show a picture ID and the dems fought tooth and nail. What the hell is wrong with an ID to vote?? This is the mentality that will ruin a nation.

Maristar210
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Al Frankin lives in Minnesota?

Thats a deal breaker for me.

shepherd
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Al Frankin lives in Minnesota?

Thats a deal breaker for me.

Me too. Well, that and the fact that one could die from exposure if he passes out in the gutter in January.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
On the bright side, since he stole the office, he hasn't been in MN for more than a few minutes.

TX.X-30 fan
08-08-2009, 01:13 PM
On the bright side, since he stole the office, he hasn't been in MN for more than a few minutes.

Glass half full, my kinda guy. :D

TX.X-30 fan
08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I just saw this on a food show about Minnessota, this crap would be a deal-breaker.

bigmac do you eat this??

State fair looked really cool though, they had 30 different things you could eat on a stick. :D

bigmac
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Mmmmm....chocolate covered bacon...

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/bacon2(2).jpg

Lutefisk...? No, I'm one of the three guys in Minnesota that has ZERO Norwegian blood, so I don't have to eat it.

TX.X-30 fan
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Cool show about Minnesota its the guy that eats all kind of bizarre crap, so he takes a bite and tells these granny's it must be an acquired taste. I believe it was on travel channel. Those scandinavians eat some interesting stuff even for me, having a pretty wide food pallet.

Ryan
08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I was checking out the MN DNR info. Am I reading correctly that you can ski with either a driver and mirror (no spotter) OR you can ski with an observer of any age?

I might not need a new boat so fast if that's the case.

bigmac
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Towed watersports are legal from sunrise to 1 hour after sunset. Running and anchor lights required at sunset (kind of a problem for your stern anchor light if you're skiing from the pylon after sunset). No observer required, only a mirror. No age requirement on observer. No "skier-down" flags. Wake surfing is OK. Lifejackets required for everyone in the boat, not required for the skier (as long as there is one in the boat for him/her). Boat registration fee is $50 for three years. You'd have a $10 title transfer fee first year. No personal property tax on boats.

Boat trailer is also titled and needs to be licensed and registered annually if greater than 3000 lbs GVW. There is an option for a $65 one-time lifetime trailer registration tag if the trailer is less than 3000 lbs GVW, but I accidentally applied for that sticker on my 5000 lb GVR MasterCraft trailer and they sent it to me, so I don't have to register or license that trailer ever again.

Most lakes are patrolled sporadically by both the DNR and the county Sheriff, but resources being what they are and given the number of lakes, one doesn't see them all that often on most lakes. I haven't seen any on my lake all season. Haven't been stopped by any of those guys in about 10 years. As a general rule these guys aren't d1ckheads, but of course there are individual exceptions.

It's a pretty boat-friendly state.

jamisonsbrodie
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=bigmac;626821]No observer required, only a mirror. QUOTE]

This is the case for all of MN except a small handful of Minneapolis area lakes. Like BigMac said though, it is a very boat friendly state.

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
What are the legal ice fishing hours??

bigmac
08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
What are the legal ice fishing hours??

Summer or winter?

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Summer or winter?

Is there any difference??

starman205
08-24-2009, 04:32 PM

ROTFL!!!!!! :D

bigmac
08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
The biggest difference is that everyone over 70 goes to Texas in the winter.

Ryan
08-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Towed watersports are legal from sunrise to 1 hour after sunset. Running and anchor lights required at sunset (kind of a problem for your stern anchor light if you're skiing from the pylon after sunset). No observer required, only a mirror. No age requirement on observer. No "skier-down" flags. Wake surfing is OK. Lifejackets required for everyone in the boat, not required for the skier (as long as there is one in the boat for him/her). Boat registration fee is $50 for three years. You'd have a $10 title transfer fee first year. No personal property tax on boats.

Boat trailer is also titled and needs to be licensed and registered annually if greater than 3000 lbs GVW. There is an option for a $65 one-time lifetime trailer registration tag if the trailer is less than 3000 lbs GVW, but I accidentally applied for that sticker on my 5000 lb GVR MasterCraft trailer and they sent it to me, so I don't have to register or license that trailer ever again.

Most lakes are patrolled sporadically by both the DNR and the county Sheriff, but resources being what they are and given the number of lakes, one doesn't see them all that often on most lakes. I haven't seen any on my lake all season. Haven't been stopped by any of those guys in about 10 years. As a general rule these guys aren't d1ckheads, but of course there are individual exceptions.

It's a pretty boat-friendly state.

Great to hear! Especially on the registration. The skier not needing a ski vest is news to me and not quite in line with the MN DNR PDF, but I'll take your word for it. I don't think I'd ever ski without one, but I'm sure for tirckers and show skiers it happens a lot.

bigmac
08-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Great to hear! Especially on the registration. The skier not needing a ski vest is news to me and not quite in line with the MN DNR PDF, but I'll take your word for it. I don't think I'd ever ski without one, but I'm sure for tirckers and show skiers it happens a lot.

Page 34. Not saying it's a good idea, but...

TX.X-30 fan
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
The biggest difference is that everyone over 70 goes to Texas in the winter.

We appreciate the snowbirds. :D

bigmac
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
We appreciate the snowbirds. :D

Birds of a feather.....?

Ryan
08-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I stand corrected. That's what I get for reading PDFs on my Palm Centro between church meetings.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Birds of a feather.....?

Minnesota deniers??

jamisonsbrodie
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM

That is the state rule, but many of the counties and cities have additional rules for each lake, including life vests, observer age and counterclockwise rotation on the smaller, busier lakes in the Twin cities area. There is an additional page that breaks down the rules by county and lake.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 06:01 PM
counterclockwise rotation

Is that how the ticket is inserted?

bigmac
08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
That is the state rule, but many of the counties and cities have additional rules for each lake, including life vests, observer age and counterclockwise rotation on the smaller, busier lakes in the Twin cities area. There is an additional page that breaks down the rules by county and lake.

Yeh, doesn't affect us up here.

TX.X-30 fan
08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
and counterclockwise rotation on the smaller, busier lakes in the Twin cities area

I give what the he!! does this mean?

bigmac
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
and counterclockwise rotation on the smaller, busier lakes in the Twin cities area

I give what the he!! does this mean?

I, for one, don't know. My guess is that on some small lakes in the Twin Cities area, you have to pull your rider around the lake only making left turns. Apparently some counties or municipalities can apply some special regulations as to how lakes in their jurisdictions are used. I've never run across that, but I can't say I've ever had the occasion to be on any of those lakes for any reason. For the most part they are fishing lakes of a few hundred acres or less.

A statewide summary of these locally-applied regs can be found at

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/local_regs.pdf

jamisonsbrodie
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, counterclockwise rotation is for the busy days when it is wally central, and basically is everyone travels in the same direction. Most skiers don't bother going out then, however. Early mornings and weekday early afternoons are the only times to get sets in around here. After labor day we are able to start skiing in the evenings though.

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
NASCAR on the water......................... :D

Whats the rule on restrictor plates. 8p

TX.X-30 fan
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I, for one, don't know. ]

You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

gimmemoedmb
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
A small lake (about 200 acres) by me in the south metro has the counter clockwise deal. It says it's only needed on the weekends although some of the lake property owners do it at all times. I've had some luck skiing there during the evening. It's generally mostly fishermen and they fish the hump in the middle so I can run along the calm shoreline.

jamisonsbrodie
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Whats the rule on restrictor plates. 8p

"Let's keep that on the down-low"