PDA

View Full Version : Amp Install Q-

PE4ME
06-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Installing an amp and was wondering where to ground.
I originally grounded to motor with good sound (water pump brace), but I am thinking the noise of the motor will transfer to speakers once it is running on the water.
I also heard/read that if you ground to neg on battery, you could fry things if there were any surges...??? Not sure who or what to believe, and before I go fishing wires, it might just be easier to go to battery.
thanks-

JDK
06-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Battery......always. Strange (and very expensive) things can happen when using indirect grounds.....especially the engine.

BriEOD
06-02-2005, 07:10 AM
I agree, ground it to the battery.

bucky
06-02-2005, 07:38 AM
The motor in your boat will have a ground strap to prevent stray current from damaging other parts (it can pit bearings in seconds). Overloading this strap causes electricity to look for an easier path through expensive parts. Stereo amps can be the largest current draw in your boat, and the instructions on mine suggest a ground to the battery that is larger than a normal engine ground strap. I found that when I went to a rediculously large ground wire to the battery it greatly improved the sound and volume.

PE4ME
06-02-2005, 08:24 AM
thanks boys...