PDA

View Full Version : exhaust cover question

SRussell
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
New to the MC club. Always wanted one and finally got an 89 Tristar 220 a few days ago.
First of all, this forum has been incredibly helpful in the first few steps of cleanup that I have done. Thank you all!
When I test drove it I noticed a ton of water splashing onto the back bench from the exhaust at idle. It has the chev 454 so I expect some but it was enough that someone would be soaked if they sat there when not above idle.
I was wondering if maybe the exhaust covers might need replacing. They were slightly bent and left a gap when fully closed (engine off). Is that just something that I should expect and just assign that seat to my mother-in-law? ;)

rholmes
07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice comment on the MIL!!

A gap is normal when at rest, I can fit a finger or two in mine. The real purpose is to close flush when in reverse and prevent a torrential pour back in.

Yours has a fixed platform (part of the boat) IIRC, is it really causing that large of a splash that it throws up that much water?

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
If by bench, you mean the platform or swim deck, please don't let anyone sit on that thing while underway, or even at idle. If the prop doesn't get 'em, the CO will.

If you mean the back seat, then that's quite a splash

Like rholmes said, the flaps are for keeping hard bursts of water out (imagine the arse end of your boat is facing some other boat's rollers). A little gap is fine so long as the opening is covered.

SRussell
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys!
fixed patform. It's a pretty good splash. I guess "soaked" is a little strong. It's enough that if we were to cruise up to the restaurant for a nice catfish dinner it could monkey up my beloved's hair.
MIL riding on the platform.... hmmmm......
really though, I mean the back seat.
Bear in mind, I don't care. I'm in the captains chair. Just wondering if it is normal for this boat or this engine.
R

etduc
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys!
fixed patform. It's a pretty good splash. I guess "soaked" is a little strong. It's enough that if we were to cruise up to the restaurant for a nice catfish dinner it could monkey up my beloved's hair.
MIL riding on the platform.... hmmmm......
really though, I mean the back seat.
Bear in mind, I don't care. I'm in the captains chair. Just wondering if it is normal for this boat or this engine.
R

As a previous owner of a, 190 Tristar, yes it is normal. (Probably, more so on a 454.)
It is the combustion gas bubble, coming to the surface. New boats do it too, to some extent, depending on the type of platform.

A 220 Tristar 454, is a pretty rare bird. Welcome the the clan. :cool:

SRussell
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank you, et! That's good to know.
She is beautiful, red stripe / white hull. Got some milk over the paint but I bought the meguires kit for that. she still has some shine on her in alot of places, mostly the areas low on the hull where the sun wasn't direct. hopefull have her up to standard in the next week or so.
now, pass me some of that MC kool-aid!

mayo93prostar
07-30-2009, 01:30 PM
post pics of that rare combo

SRussell
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I will be glad to share some pics. It has rained ever since I got it home so as soon as I can get some good light I will snap a few!
Thanks for helping with my question everyone
R

rholmes
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Where are you located?

SRussell
07-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm in Birmingham, Alabama

Jimmauburn
07-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Birmingham.... Welcome neighbor I am in Jackson, Ms and I LOVE the older Mastercraft's and cannot wait to see the pics of your boat. 1989 Prostar 190, mine was a drain and redo after the previous owner left the plug in and it filled up with water.

SRussell
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks!
Wow, I can't imagine how long it would take to fill up with water. Mine is in pretty good shape on the inside. One of the seats is broken so I am replacing the pedestal. Everything else is good but really dirty. May replace the vinyl in another year or so. Really want to get the outside looking good first. Since interior is not shameful I will take care of it later.
There is just something about the old ones isn't there? I love them also. Looked at an 84 Stars and Stripes but it was just too badly treated.
R

SRussell
07-31-2009, 12:09 PM

After one bath between rain showers

rholmes
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
NIce! Thanks for sharing.

etduc
07-31-2009, 01:02 PM

After one bath between rain showers

Not to shaby. TriStars get a bad wrap, for big water comfort, really all boats of the era are about the same. The 220 should be better, than the 190. (Due to overall weight, and balance.)

This applies to any inboard.... In rough water, the smoothest ride is at the back of the boat.

Also, they tend ride bow high, so have a throw float-cushion, next to driver seat.(to raise your sitting position.) This helps seeing over the bow, at low speeds.

With that 454 lump, that thing should have a pretty good wakeboard/surf wake. :D