PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Carpet

Cousin_Jeff
08-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I need to replace the carpet on my trailer. I am a bit concerned b/c the trailer is on '02 model and there is a serious rip down one side. I really thought it would last longer than this.

Does anyone have any recommendations on carpet to replace it with, what to avoid, or any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
You can use the olefin marine carpet available at lowes or home depot. It's wide enough to do four bunks. I'd also recommend doubling up the carpet, i.e., two layers on the top part of the bunks. In other words, cut strips that will sit only on the top of the bunks and a little over the side, then wrap the bunks with carpet over the strips. Sometimes if the boat comes in a little hot, it can burn the carpet and leave this plastic-feeling line where the fiber fuses together. Not sure if this causes it to wear out a little faster or what. I just like the idea of having a little extra cushion under it. That way, when the top layer rips, and I notice it, I can get the boat home and still have cushion enough underneath for another launch to replace the carpet.

Also, use stainless steel staples.

MarkP
08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Cousin Jeff

What Doug said..

DanC
08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Cousin Jeff

What MarkP said...

Cousin_Jeff
08-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks very much guys for your input. It is great to be able to throw a question out there and get so many replies.

As a matter of fact, what East TX skier said is exactly what happened. The carpet on the bunks was "burnt" and I think it just weakened it. Oh well, just need to replace it. Not that big of a deal.

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 02:24 PM
What Dan said. :)

I think the only way to avoid the burn is to come in really slow. I haven't figured out how slow yet, but the extra cushion seems to let the carpet give a little more so the fusing doesn't occur. Also, it helps to drop the whole bunk under the water before loading so that it is good and wet.

MarkP
08-17-2004, 02:38 PM
I think the wet bunks help the most. I come in slow for other reasons, (no brakes);) ..

Leroy
08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
How fast do you come in Doug? PP still engaged? :uglyhamme

Of course I guess if you could actually drive straight on the trailer you could come in hot like that.....never been able to do that, I tend to look like someone sliding into 3rd base :)

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I come in pretty slow (no Perf. Pass)

I'm in and out of idle on the run up and put it in neutral when the tip of the boat passes through the guide poles. When the bunks straighten everything out, I run it up slow as I can get it to go.

MarkP
08-17-2004, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Leroy]How fast do you come in Doug? PP still engaged? :uglyhamme

LOL, That would burn the carped..

MarkP
08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Sorry Doug,

That just struck me as funny as I pictured you coming in from a good day of skiing, Hitting the trailer with the PP and your best “ski face” on:cool:

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Ha ha! Don't forget the socks full of holes!

MarkP
08-18-2004, 08:50 AM
I forgot all about that sock. If that photo is still up at the old site, I think you had better edit it so it doesn’t show up on this site.

east tx skier
08-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Mark, I think the photo is long gone! It was in the old classifieds, which, as near as I can tell, is history. :dance:

Of course, I did cut up some old socks to put between the boat and the strap I have coming over the top of the boat when trailering (the socks keep the strap from rubbing the gel coat at the contact points.