PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever add a trolling motor to their MC?

bcampbe7
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I have been throwing around the idea of adding a trolling motor to my '96 PS190. I would like to get into some competitive fishing in my area buy don't want to spend the money on a fishing boat when I already own a boat, ya know. I have drawn out some preliminary designs and think I could fab up a bracket that mounts to the bow.

I also figure I could plumb an aerator into the floor cooler pretty easy. Won't hold big fish, but would work till I could fabricate something in place of the back seat that never gets used.

Sodar
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Post up the sketches for the design. How many batteries do you plan to add for the motor? Are you going to mount a seat on the bow, too?

flipper
07-29-2009, 01:42 PM
:popcorn:Ohhhh boy, this is gonna go over like a fart in church

Maristar210
07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I added a kicker motor to my Maristar. Mounted her right to the teak and I use a aluminum reach pole to steer it !!!!

Works like a top !!!

Can't wait to see your "trolling" motor..

Sodar
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Does yours look like this, Steve?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=40898&stc=1&d=1222981476

bcampbe7
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Post up the sketches for the design. How many batteries do you plan to add for the motor? Are you going to mount a seat on the bow, too?

On paper at the moment. If I can find a scanner I will post them up.

One extra battery should be fine. I don't plan on using the trolling motor every time out or anything. I have thought about the seat in the bow, but will probably just line the entire top of the closed bow area with skateboard grip tape and just stand up there.

Sodar
07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
On paper at the moment. If I can find a scanner I will post them up.

One extra battery should be fine. I don't plan on using the trolling motor every time out or anything. I have thought about the seat in the bow, but will probably just line the entire top of the closed bow area with skateboard grip tape and just stand up there.

Good idea. I remember the bow on my 190 being very slippery and not much to hold onto up there.

Maristar210
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Does yours look like this, Steve?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=40898&stc=1&d=1222981476

I wish. Mines a little hacked

Sodar
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I wish. Mines a little hacked

Yeah, that guy did a very nice job.

Craig
07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Great ideas, I instantly have some inspiration.

Be sure you pick up a set of these while you are ordering things:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

bcampbe7
07-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Good idea. I remember the bow on my 190 being very slippery and not much to hold onto up there.

Tell me about it! My wife and I were.... well let's just say a sudden move was made and someones feet went right out from under them. Ever read those news stories of someone falling and being impaled by a rake handle or something? Made for a very pissed off wife and I can no longer use the "well I just want to see how it feels" excuse!

Adding the grip tape will be done even if the trolling motor won't work out.

TMCNo1
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't forget that you can pull the bottom plug and use the bilge as a live well, the shaft coupling will act as an aerator and if you put a fish in aluminum foil on the intake mainfold, your dinner will be cooked by the time you get home, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781416596233&ourl=Manifold-Destiny%2FChris-Maynard

Sodar
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Don't forget that you can pull the bottom plug and use the bilge as a live well, the shaft coupling will act as an aerator and if you put a fish in aluminum foil on the intake mainfold, your dinner will be cooked by the time you get home, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781416596233&ourl=Manifold-Destiny%2FChris-Maynard

Harold, let's not be ridiculous with our ideas here, huh! :D

TMCNo1
07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Harold, let's not be ridiculous with our ideas here, huh! :D

In those immortal words of Leo Getz in Lethal Weapon, "OK, OK OK, OK OK OK!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy5TJ0s2HJs

bigmac
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
...and to think I've seen people here turn up their noses at pulling tubes...

Maristar210
07-29-2009, 02:25 PM
...and to think I've seen people here turn up their noses at pulling tubes...

He's Fishing H

bigmac
07-29-2009, 02:41 PM
He's Fishing H

I figured..

he's "trolling" actually...

Maristar210
07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I figured..

I stand corrected

dog paw
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
They put ski poles in Bass Boats and PWC's...

Nope. still not the same;)

stuartmcnair
07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
maybe he could mount a tower on the boat and weld some retractable arms to it with fold down fishing seats and a remote controlled trolling motor

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
And screw some downriggers onto the teak swim platform. While you are at it you may as well add outriggers to the tower along with those retractable arms.

bcampbe7
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
While the comments are funny, I am not getting the impression that you all are serious. I would appreciate serious responses. I cannot afford to own a fishing boat and a MasterCraft. Having the best of both Worlds would be ideal. CSX is also out of the question.

Gonzo
07-29-2009, 05:39 PM

They used to put grip tape on the bows with the old MC logo with the boat on it. I have a friend that has one. that keeps idiots from slipping on freshly waxed surfaces and ending up laying on their back with their shoulder hung on dock line for the bow while their lovely 5-10 blonde green eyed wife laughs her a$$ off from the porch... not that I know anyone who has been through that last weekend about 9am on saturday or anything...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gonzo
07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
you know I need to take my camera out, it seems I remember there being a SS down the road that someone had converted and put a chair on. I will have to see if its still there.

Dont get me wrong I think its and abomination but at the end of the day its a floating piece of fiberglass with an engine in it that you paid for. You want to fish it fish it. I will check on that other boat.

east tx skier
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
While the comments are funny, I am not getting the impression that you all are serious. I would appreciate serious responses. I cannot afford to own a fishing boat and a MasterCraft. Having the best of both Worlds would be ideal. CSX is also out of the question.

Beau, if you can't afford the CSX, the Fish Nautique is a possibility (and quite similar). :)

http://www.boattown.com/images/boats/460_fish.jpg

TMCNo1
07-29-2009, 06:14 PM

OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, seriously, keep the MC as it is, get a older bass boat install a tower on it and use the live wells for ballast tanks, it would probably already have the depth/fish/platform finder with screen, troll motor and batteries, wadda ya say Bubba?

flipper
07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
If you really gotta do it, I think I'd pull off your teak, either get some, or make some brackets to slide in the platform brackets on the boat, and make a motor mount there. Use that for fishing, pull it off and switch for the teak for skiing and swimming.

Sodar
07-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe you could make something like this work?

http://www.sideshift.com/products/tunnel.htm

http://www.sideshift.com/images/bow_thrusters_2.jpg

trickskier
07-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I figured..

Becoming a "Troll" is more like it......................:rolleyes:

trickskier
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Beau, if you can't afford the CSX, the Fish Nautique is a possibility (and quite similar). :)

http://www.boattown.com/images/boats/460_fish.jpg

Trying to convert an MC owner to the DS??? :rolleyes:

coz
07-29-2009, 10:07 PM
OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, seriously, keep the MC as it is, get a older bass boat install a tower on it and use the live wells for ballast tanks, it would probably already have the depth/fish/platform finder with screen, troll motor and batteries, wadda ya say Bubba?

Here's a starter boat and you could afford to have 2 MC's http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/1292505702.html :D

nmcjr
07-30-2009, 01:09 AM
If you really gotta do it, I think I'd pull off your teak, either get some, or make some brackets to slide in the platform brackets on the boat, and make a motor mount there. Use that for fishing, pull it off and switch for the teak for skiing and swimming.

I like this idea, keeps the boat intact, and cleanly allows for both purposes. Maybe install a battery plug in the back like tow trucks have (for jump starts) for the battery connection for the motor.

bcampbe7
07-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Maybe you could make something like this work?

http://www.sideshift.com/products/tunnel.htm

http://www.sideshift.com/images/bow_thrusters_2.jpg

I like this idea, keeps the boat intact, and cleanly allows for both purposes. Maybe install a battery plug in the back like tow trucks have (for jump starts) for the battery connection for the motor.

These are the types of ideas/products I am looking for! Thanks gents....and lady.

shepherd
07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Fishing is for wussies.

bcampbe7
07-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Fishing is for wussies.

Aren't you going fishing this weekend???

cmw
07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't do it! You can get a bass boat cheap in the fall and fishing is much more enjoyable out of one. I think you will regret messing up a nice ski boat to fish. Do what I have done. Find a friend who wants to ski that owns a bass boat.

ski_king
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Who saved that picture from Craigslist a couple of weeks ago where a old S&S was converted to a fishing boat complete with anchor winch mounted on the bow?

Hoosier Bob
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
First off lose the windshield! Carpet the bow and mount an inexpensive swivel seat in the center. Next find a long shaft remote/foot controlled trolling motor and mount it on the bow. The live well should be removable and built to fit in the dash under where the glove box used to be. Leave the lid! Lift the lid throw the fish in, close the lid! The price you get on ebay for the windshield alone should cover the expense. Not a shallow hull when trolling so getting in the weeds will be tough. There you go, your FishCraft/MasterFisher/FishStar190 will be rocking and slaying bass in no time!:DWhile the comments are funny, I am not getting the impression that you all are serious. I would appreciate serious responses. I cannot afford to own a fishing boat and a MasterCraft. Having the best of both Worlds would be ideal. CSX is also out of the question.

Dan K
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

The Fish Natique does not have as good of a wake and alot of spray for short lines

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
The Fish Natique does not have as good of a wake and alot of spray for short lines

I hear you can get a 72" slalom ski with double high wraps into the live well though. :D

bcampbe7
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
First off lose the windshield! Carpet the bow and mount an inexpensive swivel seat in the center. Next find a long shaft remote/foot controlled trolling motor and mount it on the bow. The live well should be removable and built to fit in the dash under where the glove box used to be. Leave the lid! Lift the lid throw the fish in, close the lid! The price you get on ebay for the windshield alone should cover the expense. Not a shallow hull when trolling so getting in the weeds will be tough. There you go, your FishCraft/MasterFisher/FishStar190 will be rocking and slaying bass in no time!:D

Losing the windsheild is out of the question. Mosquitos are the size of hummingbords around here. You know how hard it is to scoot across the lake at 45mph while holding the spotlight in one hand and blocking my eyes with the other all while steering with my leg?

Toober Tom
07-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Forget adding the trolling motor to the boat. Add it to your toob!

Hoosier Bob
07-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Then fabricate the center section to be removed and replaced. Slide in and out. Buy a Kayak dip**** and leave you boat alone!;)Losing the windsheild is out of the question. Mosquitos are the size of hummingbords around here. You know how hard it is to scoop across the lake at 45mph while holding the spotlight in one hand and blocking my eyes with the other all while steering with my leg.

bcampbe7
07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

I own a ski boat, Tom. I don't own a tube.

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I own a ski boat, Tom. I don't own a tube.

I seem to recall your selling said ski boat a year or two ago, but I've been going with the flow.

bcampbe7
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I seem to recall your selling said ski boat a year or two ago, but I've been going with the flow.

They made others.

shepherd
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Fishing is for wussies.

Aren't you going fishing this weekend???

Well......... yeah. :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM

That must be the new FishStar, right?

TMCNo1
07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Well......... yeah. :rolleyes:

Just wear camo, sunglasses and nobody will know who you are!:rolleyes::D We won't tell either!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
From a relatively serious standpoint, what kind of fishing are you planning. When you say trolling motor, are you speaking a small hp gas for trolling or an electric for moving the boat around?

TMCNo1
07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
From a relatively serious standpoint, what kind of fishing are you planning. When you say trolling motor, are you speaking a small hp gas for trolling or an electric for moving the boat around?

I think he's wanting to do some trolling, 36 mph through the course with a 75' fishing line at 32 off and snagging a carp, ain't nothing like it!:rolleyes::D

ski_king
07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
That must be the new FishStar, right?

I think Maristar210 had the FishStar shown back on post #8.

TX.X-30 fan
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice set-up just as envisioned by the crack design team.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I think he's wanting to do some trolling, 36 mph through the course with a 75' fishing line at 32 off and snagging a carp, ain't nothing like it!:rolleyes::D

Too bad its not a stars & stripes. He could take the stars off and replace them with carp.

h2oskifreak
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM

I have a souloution. Depending on what you have and how serious of a skier you are, I might trade you a second boat I own. It's a really nice 19 ft. Four Winns w/ a detachable trolling plate. It has the V-8 and I have never had a lick of trouble w/ her. P.M. me if you want to explore options.

Ramhouse
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
You could cover the bow area with the stikey non skid tape, which would allow a fishing seat on the bow...NNNNNNNOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Die Thread Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!