PDA

View Full Version : MCX question re: checking transmission cooler

Mosaic13
06-01-2005, 10:50 PM
On an '04 MC210 w/MCX, the incredibly generic owner's manual (applies to the entire line and all three engines) refers to checking the transmission cooler intake for debris. As many times as I've studied this section, I look in the engine compartment and nothing looks remotely designed for disassembly literally "before each use". I know I'm missing an easy and important step here. What is it?

JimN
06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
If you know where the transmission oil cooler is located, you can service it. All you need to do is remove the hose on the fresh waterside and clear out any debris. If you have read other posts regarding the need for this, you know that it's absolutely necessary to keep this clear in order to keep from overheating the motor. You need to loosen one hose clamp to slide the hose off.

Mosaic13
06-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Hmmm...sounds simple enough. Supposedly there's a screen that I need to look for to ensure that it's clear. The manual's just not specific as to where it is, and with three completely different engines addressed in the same manual it's no wonder. Anyway, thanks very much. Heading out Friday and that's the first thing I'll check.

JimN
06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Follow the fresh water hose from the hull to the motor, then look at the raw water pump outlet at the front of the motor(on the crank pulley). The oil cooler is just after the raw water pump, mounted to the motor and has two black oil lines with brass fittings attached. There is a group of small tubes inside where the raw water flows to the other end and around this flows the transmission oil.