PDA

View Full Version : Rust Spots on Deck - How to Remove?

Thumbs
07-29-2009, 10:07 AM
In my compulsive new-boat maintenance phase of life, I have found numerous rust spots on the deck under the carpet. I'm guessing they are from metal shavings during the manufacturing process. In any case, I would like to get rid of the stains (and any? metal shavings imbedded in the deck).

Not knowing much about gel coat does/don'ts, I don't know the best way to deal with the rust. Any suggestions or known solutions? A Google search found recommendations for Lime-Away/CLR and Rust-Out (applied with a spray bottle to exterior hull for folks in rusty water areas).

Thanks!
Randy
Dexter, MI

Sodar
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I would try a few things. First I would try Seapower. The stuff gets salt rust off of everything... it should work for your application, also.

You can also try the lime-away, CLR or FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) those might work ok.

Lastly, I would clean the non-skid with dedicated non-skid remover. It works really well and has a bit of protectant in it to keep the stains from coming back.

Jim@BAWS
07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
In my compulsive new-boat maintenance phase of life, I have found numerous rust spots on the deck under the carpet. I'm guessing they are from metal shavings during the manufacturing process. In any case, I would like to get rid of the stains (and any? metal shavings imbedded in the deck).

Not knowing much about gel coat does/don'ts, I don't know the best way to deal with the rust. Any suggestions or known solutions? A Google search found recommendations for Lime-Away/CLR and Rust-Out (applied with a spray bottle to exterior hull for folks in rusty water areas).

Thanks!
Randy
Dexter, MI

All those will work...don't go crazy with them. Also try the MAJIC ERASER

Works wonders

Jim@BAWS