PDA

View Full Version : Rust Spots on Deck - How to Remove?

Thumbs
07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
In my compulsive new-boat maintenance phase of life, I have found numerous rust spots on the deck under the carpet. I'm guessing they are from metal shavings during the manufacturing process. In any case, I would like to get rid of the stains (and any? metal shavings imbedded in the deck).

Not knowing much about gel coat does/don'ts, I don't know the best way to deal with the rust. Any suggestions or known solutions? A Google search found recommendations for Lime-Away/CLR and Rust-Out (applied with a spray bottle to exterior hull for folks in rusty water areas).

Thanks!
Randy
Dexter, MI

Sodar
07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
I would try a few things. First I would try Seapower. The stuff gets salt rust off of everything... it should work for your application, also.

You can also try the lime-away, CLR or FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) those might work ok.

Lastly, I would clean the non-skid with dedicated non-skid remover. It works really well and has a bit of protectant in it to keep the stains from coming back.

07-29-2009, 11:10 AM
In my compulsive new-boat maintenance phase of life, I have found numerous rust spots on the deck under the carpet. I'm guessing they are from metal shavings during the manufacturing process. In any case, I would like to get rid of the stains (and any? metal shavings imbedded in the deck).

Not knowing much about gel coat does/don'ts, I don't know the best way to deal with the rust. Any suggestions or known solutions? A Google search found recommendations for Lime-Away/CLR and Rust-Out (applied with a spray bottle to exterior hull for folks in rusty water areas).

Thanks!
Randy
Dexter, MI

All those will work...don't go crazy with them. Also try the MAJIC ERASER

Works wonders

[email protected]