PDA

View Full Version : Squeal from Propshaft

NeilM
07-28-2009, 06:17 PM
While in the water, whenever the propshaft comes to a stop, from either forward or reverse, I get a squeal. It's becoming louder and longer. It doesn't squeal while in gear, just as it comes to a stop in either direction. No vibrations, nothing else seems wrong, just the squeal.

Should I be worried?

2002 Maristar 210 VRS LTR 330 hp

thanks,
NeilM

JimN
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
While in the water, whenever the propshaft comes to a stop, from either forward or reverse, I get a squeal. It's becoming louder and longer. It doesn't squeal while in gear, just as it comes to a stop in either direction. No vibrations, nothing else seems wrong, just the squeal.

Should I be worried?

2002 Maristar 210 VRS LTR 330 hp

thanks,
NeilM

Have you...Where have you been?

Have you checked your packing lately?

NeilM
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Jim, I've been in the Pend Oreille River as well as an Alberta lake. I forgot to mention that I had the dealer install an OJ dripless seal a couple of years ago. It has a water line that goes to the trans cooler, but no other visible means of lubrication. Does the OJ seal require other lubrication?

I'm thinking the squeal is coming from the strut bushing, but it's hard to pin down.
Ideas?

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
From what I'm told, those dripless seals don't necessarily last forever. Not sure if yours is kaput, but possibly worth checking.

jrhollow
07-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I had the exact same issue on my 2003 x-2 (205v) a couple of years ago. It was created from a worn out strut bushing, which was a result of the engine being WAY out of alignment.

To trouble shoot: Sprayed wd-40 on the strut bushing right before putting the boat in the water. If the squeal stops, your strut bushing should be replaced (check engine alignment while you have the drive shaft out). Note that the squeal will come back once the wd-40 washes away.

Hope this helps!

NeilM
08-02-2009, 03:27 AM
great help, thanks.
I suspect the dealer didn't realign the setup after changing to the dripless seal.

I hope this will last another 2 weeks until summer vacation is over, then I'll get it all fixed / aligned.