PDA

View Full Version : What carb do I have? 89 PS 190

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I've been reading about J-vent tubes and automotive vs marine carbs. My holley carb is silver color, and the marine ones are brass/gold colored. Removed the flame arrestor today and took some pictures, no J-vent tubes, help! Is this a automotive holley??

rholmes
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Yup, looks like an automotive one. Should look like this with the J tubes.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/1990%20Maristar/100_2993.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Go to a good carb shop and they will get you the J tubes. They will fit right on that 4160 Holley. The other main difference is calibration. Marine carbs are set up leaner than a street carb. If your boat runs ok and your plugs look good you are done once the J tubes are added.

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Motor runs very good. I'll get the J-tubes. How important are they, is it when bumping around they are needed or something?

jamisonsbrodie
07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Go to a good carb shop and they will get you the J tubes. They will fit right on that 4160 Holley. The other main difference is calibration. Marine carbs are set up leaner than a street carb. If your boat runs ok and your plugs look good you are done once the J tubes are added.

That does not look like a 4160 to me?

Hollywood
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
You also have a rubber fuel line (presumably not USCG approved) coming from the pump... no good. Possibly leak source... KABOOM. Replace with a steel line.

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
That does not look like a 4160 to me?

Are you sure?? Anybody that can confirm that I have 4160 for sure?

You also have a rubber fuel line (presumably not USCG approved) coming from the pump... no good. Possibly leak source... KABOOM. Replace with a steel line.

My oh my! I'll get one from skidim. Thanks!

jake
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM

There are USCG approved lines that are not steel. Not saying this one is approved, but I replaced my steel line with this product from DIM.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-383831

TRBenj
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
There are USCG approved lines that are not steel. Not saying this one is approved, but I replaced my steel line with this product from DIM.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-383831
That one is approved- its a USCG Type A1. Much pricier than the bent steel line though!

Marine carbs also have seals on the shaft baseplates. I would order a proper marine carb rather than trying to convert what youve got. Summit carries them for ~$475.

Commandohorn
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
The 4160 has the fuel inlet at a 45 degree angle on the side of the carb, yours is straight. see holley web site. Get those rubber lines off pronto!

TRBenj
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
The 4160 has the fuel inlet at a 45 degree angle on the side of the carb, yours is straight. see holley web site. Get those rubber lines off pronto!

Ive seen 4160's with both styles of fuel bowls. The original poster's carb is definitely a 4160, but it sure isnt marine.

TMCNo1
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Holley has six 4160's for marine use, http://www.holley.com/types/Marine%204%20Bbl%20Performance.asp
This is the proper one of a '89 351W 240hp Indmar Ford, http://www.holley.com/0-80319-1.asp and it is the same as this, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA052003

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
That one is approved- its a USCG Type A1. Much pricier than the bent steel line though!

Marine carbs also have seals on the shaft baseplates. I would order a proper marine carb rather than trying to convert what youve got. Summit carries them for ~$475.

I don't feel like replacing the carb since everything is running mighty fine. The shaft baseplates where are they located?

I'll see if I can get hold of the J-tubes and replace the fuel line, it's steel halfway up from the pump strangely, I'm guessing that the previous owner couldnt get the line to fit the new carb.

Skidim's steel lines, do they come pre-bent og straight?

rholmes
07-28-2009, 01:11 PM
The importance of the j tube is to dump fuel back into the carb in the event of an over flow. WIth the street version, the gas would just dump onto the top of the engine block or somewhere under the hood, not a realy concern about venting there. But under the engine box on the boat, gas dumping on top of the block, talk about some fumes building up. Recipe for disaster.

TMCNo1
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't feel like replacing the carb since everything is running mighty fine. The shaft baseplates where are they located?

I'll see if I can get hold of the J-tubes and replace the fuel line, it's steel halfway up from the pump strangely, I'm guessing that the previous owner couldnt get the line to fit the new carb.

Skidim's steel lines, do they come pre-bent og straight?

The stainless steel bent fuel line from Skidim is for a PCM that uses a different fuel pump and or different fitting and will be 1/4" too short and will not work and you will waste your money like I did. You will need some type of flexible line and I went with a braided S/S line.

WilliM1940
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
There are a couple of other differences between the marine carb and auto, I won't pretend to understand why, but marine there are no external float adjustments and no vacuum test ports like yours seems to show. Wish I had them this spring. You can bend up and flair your own steel line for cheap, just takes some practice, but a better solution in the end, my opinion.

rholmes
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Harold, I can't remember for certain, but has that motor actually ever turned over? I keep thinking it is one of those "real working" models that I put together with my Dad back when I was a kid, you just do some fancy camera work and photo shop the pics to look normal.

TMCNo1
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Harold, I can't remember for certain, but has that motor actually ever turned over? I keep thinking it is one of those "real working" models that I put together with my Dad back when I was a kid, you just do some fancy camera work and photo shop the pics to look normal.

It's making one complete revolution in a 20 year evolution!:D

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Even a chrome oil filter, badabing!

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 02:25 PM
The stainless steel bent fuel line from Skidim is for a PCM that uses a different fuel pump and or different fitting and will be 1/4" too short and will not work and you will waste your money like I did. You will need some type of flexible line and I went with a braided S/S line.

But the flexible line skidim has is long enough?

jake
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
But the flexible line skidim has is long enough?

Should work. I had it on there with a 4160. Call them up and ask Vince to be sure.

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Another question: Is it 1/4" NPT female on the inlet bowl?

Then it woul be 2 off these(one for the pump as well): http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R024017

and the hose: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-383831

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Never mind the last one, I see now I need a special fitting to crossover to a flared connection.

Hollywood
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
You need to figure out what size fitting is on your carb first. It will be MUCH cheaper to bend the hard line yourself. Those SkiDIM parts are adding up quick!

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I know;-) I work with high pressure hydraulics, so I should absolutely manage it, I have no experience with flared connections tho. Maybee I'll go for 10 000 PSI autoclave piping:D

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Here's what the previous owner did. Original pipe didn't fit new carb, added a rubber piece in between.

Hollywood
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Uf!_________

hkallestad
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I need the kind of bowl inlet fitting that's in this picture. Skidim hasn't got it. Any tips for a good shop?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Just unscrew the fitting with the nipple on it from the carb. Then buy the 3/8" fuel line with the correct size fitting to thread into the carb. Take the fitting with the nipple on it with you to get the right size. Any decent parts store will have the correct fitting. I got my stuff at O'Reilly's. You can borrow a tubing bender and a flare tool from them. Make sure you buy a longer piece of line than you need. You may need to practice a little. Be careful you don't kink the line when bending the end closest to the carb as you will need a 90 degree bend here. Make the bend in small increments about the radius of a beer can. Good luck!

TMCNo1
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I need the kind of bowl inlet fitting that's in this picture. Skidim hasn't got it. Any tips for a good shop?

This would be the one you need, http://www.holley.com/0-80551.asp and can be found using the Holley dealer locator, including Jeg's, Summit, National Carburetor.com to name a few.

hkallestad
08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Found the fitting I needed on ebay, about 10$ with shipping to Norway.

I talked to a Holley dealer in Norway today searching for the J-vent tubes, he didnt have them but he said that some people had put a hose between the two vent ports and made a hole in the middle of the hose so gas would drip in to the intake, I might try that as a temporary solution, not as good as J-tubes but better than nothing.

hkallestad
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Just read that putting J-vent tubes on a carb without it would screw up the pressure balance in the fuel bowl. Anybody know if this is true? Also what pipe material for the new fuel line should I use, could I use copper without problems?

slushpup
08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Do Not use copper.The outside elements will eat it alive and the crap thats in fuel now will eat it from the inside.Braided stainless is the way to go.You will have some twist and flex unlike a replacement steel line when you are trying to undo it from the carb for rebuilds ect.It scares the Hell out of me when mechanics get stupid with your life.If a float sticks open and starts dumping fuel,I want a J-tube.If you had seen a marine carb you would see how important the tubes are.I would'nt trust my life to a rubber hose used as a patch,Couple of big waves and the rubbere hose winds up down your intake.You are courting danger with that carb,rubber hose,No j-tube,float adjustment screws just waiting to dump fuel.......Please get the right carb.

hkallestad
08-18-2009, 04:44 AM
I've got so many warnings now that I'm convinced that the carb has to be changed;-), I'll do it during the winter/spring. One and a half month left of the season here in Norway, and the weather has been crap for a long long time, doesnt look good for the next days either, so it hasn't been much riding.

hkallestad
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm about to buy 3/8" stainless steel (316) piping to make a new fuel line myself. Anybody know what wall thickness on the pipe I should go for???

TCrate
08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I had one made by INLINETUBE.COM. They are located in Michigan. I bent a hanger in the shape I wanted, told them the ends I needed and had it within about a week. FYI.