PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Ballast

SKI*MC
06-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Over Memorial Day weekend, it didnt start off too hot. We launched the boat, and let the engine warm up for about 5 minutes, after i felt the engine was warm enough, i started to head back to the cottage, after about 4 minutes of idleing through a channel, i noticed something, i forgot the drain plug! :eek: I whipped it back around and took it back into shore, for a while i had a wake like an X-STAR! I put the plug back in (with all my cloths on too :noface: ) and let the water drain out for 30 minutes. Have any of you ever forgotten do do something like this? Just so i know i'm not the only one!

6ballsisall
06-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I did once in my grandpa's I/O, Big oops!!

Doesn't your S&S just have a plug in the engine compartment?

ski_king
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I did, both the center and the transom plug. Then dropped the transom plug. Water comes in thru that drain faster than the bilge pump can pump. :o

jt76ss
06-01-2005, 09:56 PM
i forgot my plug this weekend to got all the way across the lake and to are beach where my house is and looked back and notice that the floor was wet and the deck was under water. i grab the plug and shoved it in quickly

erkoehler
06-01-2005, 10:07 PM
My Mom did that once w/ out 1985 Rinker outboard. The whole boat was full of water sitting on the beach! She had no idea what was wrong until our neighbor came over and helped her out.

SKI*MC
06-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Im starting to feel better :)

BriEOD
06-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Nope, I have never done that one.

SKI*MC
06-01-2005, 11:00 PM
suuuuuuurre....

erkoehler
06-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I should clarify that I was only like 5 when that happened. I personally have never done it.

BriEOD
06-01-2005, 11:05 PM
suuuuuuurre....

Seriously, I haven't. I trailer to and from. I go through a big routine before I pull out. I even have a little checklist. I've never not put the plug in.

H20skeefreek
06-01-2005, 11:17 PM
you had better knock on some wood dude.

Leroy
06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
And if you don't believe Brieod, will come blow you boat up, OK!

Leroy
06-01-2005, 11:23 PM
I did it once, but was because the summerization mechanic left the center plug out and told me it was in. I took over winterization and summerization from there.

Cary K.
06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
May sound stupid, but why even take the plug out to start with? I leave my auto bilge on all the time, and rarely have any water in the bilge anyway. Just thought I'd ask, I hear horror stories like this all the time.

erkoehler
06-01-2005, 11:32 PM
My boat sits out side, so I pull the plug. Plus, the cooler drains into the bilge and I can just pull the plug instead of using the pump.

By the way, the bilge pump will never get all the water out.

NeilM
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Once.

I now use a checklist, too.

ski_king
06-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Somebody stuck one of these decals on my trailer near the winch.
They must think I am dumb enough to forget the plug twice. :mad:

whitedog
06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Done it myself. Easy way to remember is to put plug on driver seat. I do now. You will see it or sit on it that way.

X2M
06-02-2005, 12:00 AM
We forgot once. :o After that my husband told my then 5 year old that it was her job to remind us. So now its like a recording. "Dad, did ya put the plug in?" ALL THE WAY TO THE LAKE. But we haven't forgotten it again. :D

erkoehler
06-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Not to steal the thread, but that sticker reminded me of one that I am going to get that says, "This boat doesn't run on thank yous."

jayocheskey
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I forgot the plug yesterday at the Brazos River. I usually back the boat off the trailer, but I let my brother-in-law do it this time. As I'm standing beside the pick-up watching him ease it off the trailer, I noticed two solid streams of water start shooting out the side of my boat. In a panic, I began giving strict instructions for the drain plug. We got it in before any real weight was sucked in, LUCKILY.

Ryan
06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
I did it once last year.
As I idled out of the launch area at Lake Elsinore I had a panic attack as the auto bilge pump cycled on. I don't know if it was stock on MC's, but mine had a measley little 500 gph pump that cycled once every minute or two. If there was resistance it would continue, otherwise turn back off.

I now have a new new wiring job, 900gph pump and float switch. I won't ever have to be in the water for two whole minutes...sinking... again. I also keep a cheapie drain plug from Wal*Mart attached to the kill swith lanyard and tucked away under the arm rest, just in case I can't find the T-handle plug. When I was a kid, somehow the boat plug ended up in a medication bottle in the toothpaste droor in my bathroom :D ...not the best place when we took the boat out and my dad jumped in clothes and all to stuff a fur barbie jacket in the drain hole to slow the flow and let the pump catch up. At 9 years old I probably just thought it was part of the car brakes or something else insignificant.

If you have kids, GET A CHEAP SPARE PLUG.

sizzler
06-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Took It Out Once To Drain It On The Lift....left Plug On Drivers Seat ,so I Would Not Forget It......next Morning Came Down And Threw A Sweater Into The Boat Straight Onto The Drivers Seat ,,hiding The Plug.....lowered The Boat By Remote Control And Went Back Inside The Van For A Bacon Sandwich...came Back 10 Mins Later And Found 6 " Of Water Above The Carpet...luckily The Boat Was Still On The Lift........i Never Take Out The Bung Now!!!

jimmer2880
06-02-2005, 06:00 AM
.....At 9 years old I probably just thought it was part of the car brakes or something else insignificant.

If you have kids, GET A CHEAP SPARE PLUG.

Why were you playing with barbies?

Anyway - good point. I need to go buy a spare right now. Drill a hole in it & twistie tie it to something (thinking something under the engine box - like an alternator bracket, etc).

jsonova99
06-02-2005, 06:40 AM
I did it on New Year's day this year, luckily I was still sitting at the dock when I noticed it. I had about 3 inches of water in the bilge. No harm done (knock on wood)

BrianM
06-02-2005, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]Why were you playing with barbies?

QUOTE]

I was wondering why Ryan had a "Fur Barbie Jacket" as well. :uglyhamme

H2OGirl
06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Been there done that, husband and I forgot the plug on our Sea Ray last summer. I backed it off the trailer, noticed the bilge kick on and started to feak out I knew right away what happened. I tried to get his attention so I could put it back on the trailer but he wasn't looking or listening to me. When he got back to the dock and I picked him up, guess who had to dive in and put the plug in? It wasn't him. I jumped in and got the plug in, no harm done to us or the boat, but scared the crap out of me. We always triple check the plug now.

bradamerry
06-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Nope, I have never done that one.
I'm with Brian on this subject, never for me. :)

tex
06-02-2005, 08:40 AM
I did it once with my old Supreme. Pulled up to the ramp and had a dude try and cut me off. I always used to put my plug in at the house. This time I had not. I beat him to the ramp and dropped in. We all loaded up and drove around the corner to the lake house and opened up beers. My buddy looked down and said, "is your floor always this wet?" I opened the motor cover and freaked. It took about 30 minutes to drain. Have not done it since. On my 197, you have to really tighten the center plug or it will loosen up. My has fell out twice-More panic!

bcampbe7
06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Never left the plug out (knock on wood) but...
The first time out this year I started the boat and lifted the engine box, as I always do, just to check things out. I noticed water coming in! I had forgotten to tighten down the block drain when I summerized the boat. :o I quickly tightened it down and all is good. Only ran for a few seconds like that so no harm done.

pilot02
06-02-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm guilty. Did it once in my Tristar. Drove all the way out to the course (3 miles) before my son (about 8 at the time) said "Hey dad, what's with the water in the back of the boat.... Plug was quickly installed at that point. Now, it's a double check item.....

sizzler
06-02-2005, 09:11 AM
was driving along and the filler pipe to the fatsac came off...i was pumping lake into the boat for a good 10 mins .....had an awsome wake tho' :D

Ryan
06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
What's wrong with well endowed blonds? Talk about extra ballast. Maybe there should be a 'wanted extra ballast' thread.

By the way, I have sisters... and there were many dismembered dolls.

rodltg2
06-02-2005, 03:58 PM
May sound stupid, but why even take the plug out to start with? I leave my auto bilge on all the time, and rarely have any water in the bilge anyway. Just thought I'd ask, I hear horror stories like this all the time.

i never forget because i never pull it. i dont see why you need to either.
i would think if you had a lot of water to drain the best thing is to pull it , wait until its all out then replace.

east tx skier
06-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I had an I/O for a year before I got my MC. I like to say that was my practice boat. Yes, I left the drain plug out on that one once.

east tx skier
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM

After a day on the water, there should be a bit of water in the bilge. I pull the plug once on the trailer before the trip home to get as much water out as possible before putting the boat under cover. The less water under the motorbox for a week+ layup, the better.

bucky
06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
i never forget because i never pull it. i dont see why you need to either.
i would think if you had a lot of water to drain the best thing is to pull it , wait until its all out then replace.
In my '01 190 the bilge pump won't pick up all the water in the bilge. It leaves about a half inch in the bottom. I pull the plug to get every last drop out. I keep it in the driver's cupholder, insuring it is noticed every time.

east tx skier
06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Never left the plug out (knock on wood) but...
The first time out this year I started the boat and lifted the engine box, as I always do, just to check things out. I noticed water coming in! I had forgotten to tighten down the block drain when I summerized the boat. :o I quickly tightened it down and all is good. Only ran for a few seconds like that so no harm done.

My father in law did that in March '04. Ran it for a good couple of hours. Lots of water, but not long term bad things as a result.

ski_king
06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
After a day on the water, there should be a bit of water in the bilge. I pull the plug once on the trailer before the trip home to get as much water out as possible before putting the boat under cover. The less water under the motorbox for a week+ layup, the better.
Thats the way I see it. I pull the transom plug while on the ramp wiping down the boat. Then leave it out if towing home to get rid of all the water that may be in there.

Oh yea, I changed the shaft packing to the Gore Tex packing and once I got it adjusted properly, it dosent appear to drip at all.

ChrisG
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
I simply put my plug along with the key in the cup holder on the driver's side...it would be pretty hard to overlook the plug while grabbing for the key...but then again...

SKI*MC
06-02-2005, 08:06 PM
WOW! I fell better.haha, i woyuld have noticed the water earlier, but the float for our auto pump didnt work so we took it out last season, when we replaced the pump.

wesgardner
06-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Didn't really leave the plug out....but last year, after a BIG rain, the boat was in the water at the pier, I opened the ski locker to find the water close to the underside of the floor, so I turned on the bilge pump and decided to start the motor to charge batteries...big mistake - my motor sits VERY low in the bilge and the flywheel is exposed for a bit down low, well it flung water EVERYWHERE....

I think I need an auto. bilge pump, my cover helps alot too :D

WEs

u29460
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Yes I have.. :) .. but with the midengine its a quick fix.

However, on a water problem note, I had so much water in my boat this weekend it almost filled up the entire engine compartment. I had a great deal of weight in my ps 190 pulling a first time boarder. After the 20th attempt to get him up it seemed the boat was a bit sluggish and did not want to get up on the step with the spring it had exhibited in the past. That's when I realized the auto bilge was not on and every time I slowed the boat down to turn around about 50 gallons of water was rolling into the rear vents. I am guessing that these vents are not found on the x series boats. Anyways after about 10 minutes of pumping we were on our way.

I just chalked it up to another DA moment for me..... :rolleyes: