PDA

View Full Version : Water Seperator Install?

jwroblew
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I would like to install a water seperator in my '03 X7. I had issues with water in the tank and would like to put a seperator in the boat. I traced the problem back to the 300 gallon tank we have on shore, and have fixed the problem, but I would like to go the extra mile and put a seperator in the boat. Any one have any segustions on how to do this and were to get the parts?

JimN
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not aware that the common separators are rated for higher pressure, like what is used in EFI motors. You might want to contact one of the manufacturers to get more info on this.

rholmes
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
what kind of pressures are we talking about that are common? I know the basic ones they sell at Walmart can handle 60 gph and 15 psi, like this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11071204

I just looked at one the other day because the filter alone for my older racor 110 is $20, vs the 5-6 this one is.

JimN
07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
what kind of pressures are we talking about that are common? I know the basic ones they sell at Walmart can handle 60 gph and 15 psi, like this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11071204

I just looked at one the other day because the filter alone for my older racor 110 is $20, vs the 5-6 this one is.

The first TBI used 18 pounds in '94-'95 and went to 30 after that. The multi-port used about 60 pounds. Not even close. Those are for mechanical fuel pump and low pressure electric when the motor uses a carb, not injection.

The filter in these isn't supposed to pass water.

rholmes
07-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Roger that, thanks for the clarification. Would something from a newer common diesel installation work, especially with the extremem pressures they use with direct injection? I guess the better question is are there any boats out there that use D.I. diesels; lake maybe in the new IPS or Zeus drive systems?

JimN
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
A few questions-

-Why do you want a fuel/water separator? Are you taking samples at the Shrader valve that have large amounts of water?
-How will you connect this separator, considering the fact that the fuel lines have the same quick disconnect GM uses on their cars?
-How will you make sure the connections won't leak? The actual fuel line is Teflon/fiberglass mesh/stainless mesh with an orange heat/flame resistant jacket, not rubber. How will you make this connection without compromising the safety of you, your passengers and the boat?

jwroblew
07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I've got a TBI, 30psi. I was planning on using something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/81794/10002/-1

Withstands 90 psi line pressure. I planned on unscrewing the two NPT fuel lines from the throttle body and scewing them into the filter bracket, than stainless tube from the filter back to the throttle body.

JimN
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I've got a TBI, 30psi. I was planning on using something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/81794/10002/-1

Withstands 90 psi line pressure. I planned on unscrewing the two NPT fuel lines from the throttle body and scewing them into the filter bracket, than stainless tube from the filter back to the throttle body.

So you want to mount that separator on the stringer or near all of the hottest parts of the motor?

FYI- those aren't NPT threaded fittings, they're double O ring fittings, the same as what's used on a GM car.

If you're stopped by the Coast Guard, they aren't going to like that setup, He!!, it took 3 years to convince them that a high pressure pump is safe in a boat. They didn't want to allow it until this was shown to them and they were told that it had been tested without failure for that time. One of these days, I'll call Alan and get his opinion about why these pumps are failing.

If you take fuel samples and never see water in the fuel, you don't need a separator. If you end up with water in the tank, just remove it.

jwroblew
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
whats the best way to remove all the water from a tank?

JimN
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
whats the best way to remove all the water from a tank?

The cheapest and easiest way I can think if is to get am inexpensive fuel pump from an auto parts store (volume type, not pressure) and set it up so you can switch it on/off manually. Attach an inlet and outlet hose, make sure you can see into the tank to know when you're removing water and then, if you want to use a separator, it can go right back into the tank instead of having to come up with some way to contain 30-60 gallons of gas. If you make some kind of mount for the pump and separator, you could do it almost completely hands-free, allowing for several exchanges of fuel.

If the tank has a large amount of water in it, it would/might be best to just pump it out and dispose of it, instead of trying to eliminate phase separation and a lot of water with a small unit like the one in the link.

Did you put a separator/filter on the 300 gallon tank?

jwroblew
07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes I put a separator on the tank from day one, but I have a 70 foot hose from the tank to the nozzle, that's were I think the water came from. I have since put a seperator closer to the nozzle. This should help / eleminate my problem.