PDA

View Full Version : Busted Prop on 08 X2

ORX-1
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
We were at Shasta last week and the wife managed to hit land while loading the boat on the trailer mid week to take it out for a cleaning. The prop was (is) pretty messed up but there was no vibration or anything, but I had an old prop in my car so I changed it out. The prop I had in my car was from an 06 X2 so the size was 13.75 instead of the 14.25 I had been running. After I changed it out and put the boat back I got a kind of a whistle noise from the prop… The shaft is straight and it didn’t make this noise even with the bent prop so I am hoping it is just because the prop size is not correct. Anyone know what may cause this, I will be putting the new correct sized prop on this week. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks!

rholmes
07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
It might have ever so slightly bent the shaft, and the whistling you hear is from the stuffing box. I would have the shaft checked out. Usually blasting the prop on the ground is going to put a pretty extreme load on the shaft, it doesn't give nearly like a stump underwater, etc, would.

XPC Sealman
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
If the trailing edge of the prop is not a crisp 90 to the pressure side of the prop it will cause a high pitched noise.

ORX-1
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
update: I got a new prop, went bigger this time. The high pitch noise is gone but I am getting a little bit of a different noise when I start moving. Nothing bad but I am wondering how tight I should have put the nut on the drive shaft? I really got after it, put it on as tight as I could get it, is that correct?

Jerseydave
08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
update: I got a new prop, went bigger this time. The high pitch noise is gone but I am getting a little bit of a different noise when I start moving. Nothing bad but I am wondering how tight I should have put the nut on the drive shaft? I really got after it, put it on as tight as I could get it, is that correct?

That's what I do, go as tight as I can with just the OJ prop wrench. I'm sure there is a torque spec for it, but I doubt many owners actually use it. My drivetrain makes a little noise at first when hitting the throttle too, sounds normal.

sand2snow22
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM

The noise might be OK, I have found different props, different noises, especially in reverse!

Kevin@MWMC
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM

The manual says to torque it to 50 ft-lbs.

TallRedRider
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

That's what I do, go as tight as I can with just the OJ prop wrench. I'm sure there is a torque spec for it, but I doubt many owners actually use it. My drivetrain makes a little noise at first when hitting the throttle too, sounds normal.

When I got an Acme prop, the instructions only said to put it to 20 ft. pounds. I was very surprised by that. I was lazy and gave it a good snug fit and called it good. I am sure that 'as hard as you can' is not the right answer.