PDA

View Full Version : Refurbish dash panels - '90 MariStar

Hoff1
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Looking to refurbish some panels on my dash. The plastic plates that hold the gauges, switches, etc. are incredibly brittle and break at the slightest pressure. Any idea on what to use to replace? I'm sure others have ran into this when restoring their MC's.

I've considered going to metal (stainless or aluminum). Big question would be how to keep the labels for each of the switches.

Here's a pic to better explain.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

flipper
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I've seen decal kits for the switches at west marine

Sodar
07-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Don't laugh too hard, but there is a guy on the Bayliner Forum that makes replacement dash panels. I am sure if you pull yours off and send them to him, he could do it.

Here is the thread: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200

TMCNo1
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't laugh too hard, but there is a guy on the Bayliner Forum that makes replacement dash panels. I am sure if you pull yours off and send them to him, he could do it.

Here is the thread: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200

Only you Soda, only you! Another bookmark for the future, you da man!49816

get_sum
07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
I've used ABS plastic (the thicker stuff ~~ 1/4") for car stero installs before. It cuts relatively easy and is easy to sand smooth and you can paint it whatever color you want as well (if you don't want the standard black). It's also pretty stout if you get it around 1/4".

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/ABS-Textured-General-Purpose-Plastic-Sheet?gclid=CLLqo62x9psCFRJ4xgod_Gxf_w

Sodar
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Only you Soda, only you! Another bookmark for the future, you da man!49816

What can I say? I like boats and look everywhere to attempt to fill my obsession. :o

It looks like the guy does good work and best of all, he saves the OEM layout so if we can get some MasterCraft owners to start using this guy, he will have an archive of old dash layouts for future owners to use. :cool:

TMCNo1
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
What can I say? I like boats and look everywhere to attempt to fill my obsession. :o

It looks like the guy does good work and best of all, he saves the OEM layout so if we can get some MasterCraft owners to start using this guy, he will have an archive of old dash layouts for future owners to use. :cool:

Looks like you, me and Gonzo need to get together and hit all the freight salvage stores and Goodwill's from coast to coast and set up a marine supply outlet!:rolleyes::D

Mr_Woodcock
07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I had a local machine shop use the old plastic as a template and they used their cutting machine to precisely cut out new plates. I had them powdercoated and they look amazing.

Brandon

cmw
07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Hoff1, I have the exact same boat (dash)and problem. Let me know what you come up with. If you find someone, they may be more willing to do two sets instead of one. I'm sure there are others with the same dash. I have seen them on here.

Chris

rholmes
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm in the same boat (literally). My panel for the hour meter has all four corners cracked, I had to rescrew with a slight larger screw and 1/2in washers on all the corners to hold it on. I am actually in the process of working on a replacement and experimenting. The guy on here who did this before went with diamond plating IIRC. My biggest problem is that I got rid of my table saw and I don't have any way to make a good straightline cut. I tried the acrylic plexiglass that they sell at home depot/lowes, but it is too thin and would keep cracking when I would start to drill holes. I'll keep you posted as I move forward with the project.

Hoff1
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Would be nice to come up with a good solution that's quick, easy and cheap. Doubt all 3 would be possible.

A coworker recommended http://www.mcmaster.com/# as a place to get materials.

I could draw these up in CAD if I had a good way to measure them. Boat is 2 hours away and I usually am not thinking of work or effort when I get there.

rholmes
07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I could draw these up in CAD if I had a good way to measure them. Boat is 2 hours away and I usually am not thinking of work or effort when I get there.

Mine is sitting 25 feet from where I am sitting now in the backyard. It is getting ready to rain like a SOB, but if it clears up in time tonite, I'll go get some measurments. At least sometime this week I will.

ROB
08-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I've got an '89 and it looks like our dash panels are identical. I'm working on something right now and should have some good info within the week. If it works out, it would be a simple way to just get the pieces you need. I will be doing all of my panels along with labeling.

Shane21
08-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I'll throw my '91 Maristar in the mix. I've actually posted on here before with this problem and the general consensus was metal. I'm just not convince. If that "bayliner" guy does good work, I may give it a shot.

cwright
08-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I replaced mine with aluminum. I used a recycled traffic sign for raw material (~ 1/8" thick). Sandblasted the aluminum,painted it flat black, adn have never had a a problem. I used a label maker for labels, but would like to upgrade labels. I was thinking of using a custom electric panel shop that has a lazer label maker. Good luck.

sk8salomon
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I replaced mine with aluminum. I used a recycled traffic sign for raw material (~ 1/8" thick). Sandblasted the aluminum,painted it flat black, adn have never had a a problem. I used a label maker for labels, but would like to upgrade labels. I was thinking of using a custom electric panel shop that has a lazer label maker. Good luck.

that's probably your cheapest and easiest. depends on how much budget you have but a laser cutting shop can reverse engineer the plates for you and cut the new plates out of 316 stainless steel, possibly even polished. lasers can etch writing on the material too so you won't have to re-label them. hmmm, sounds like a good project to sell on this board;)

ROB
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Shane does your 91 have the same panels as well? I'm giving this guy a try. He's already sent me back the drawings, I just need to make sure that all of the measurements are correct. Once I give him the go aheadand the finished product only takes a couple of days, The panels are a matte acrylic. All of the switch labels and ignition warning labels included. Looks like the originals. I will keep you guys posted.

CantRepeat
08-22-2009, 07:36 AM
I made mine out of carbon fiber.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/album.php?albumid=7&pictureid=66

ROB
08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
The carbon fiber looks great, but I was trying to keep it looking as much like the original as possible. Here is what I'm talking about. I will get some pictures when all is done. And, hopefully someone else here can benefit.

sethro
08-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Here is a thread where BrianM used lexan....

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6488&highlight=lexan+dash

Shane21
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
That is exactly what mine looks like. I would DEFINITELY be interested....

ROB
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Just an update. I placed my order for all of my dash panels for my '89 240 Maristar. Total cost is $175. I know it might sound a little pricey, but I think the final product will look pretty stock. Some of my panels were so bad, I will have to drill some holes my self for the attachment screws.

ISail
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Let me start by saying thanks to all for the help you've given me, whether or not you knew it, in the month since I've bought my 1991 Pro Star.

I need some dash panels replaced, and have been thinking about taking the old ones to a sign shop, and having new made out of the plastic material they make name tags out of. The stuff is two layers of two different colors so they can engrave the labels into the panel (like names on a name tag). A friend in the business told me a few years ago it would work great.

ROB
08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
My panels shipped today, and I should be receiving them by Tuesday. Hope to put them in sometime during the week, and I'll post some pictures.

ProStar200
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I will look after the Canadian Market. I am sure some other Canadian boys will be in to.

ROB
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
So, I have received my new panels. Here is a picture of all six. Not a great picture, but it will give you an idea. The protective cover is still on all of the panels. I hope to install tomorrow.

rholmes
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Sweet, can't wait to see the old vs new pics.

ROB
09-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Got the panels installed today. Had to do some matte black paint on edges to cover the white material. The material has a black laminate front and when engraved will show the white. The measurements from an earlier thread worked well. All of the breaker switches and toggles were perfect. Now I need to get some 303 on there to really make her look good. I will probably change out the two stainless machine screws I have for the hour meter with some black decorative to match the rest of the screws. For $175, I'm happy with the result. New gauges might be nice, maybe next year, along with new carpet and some minor gel coat repairs. Once I gave final approval on the drawings the panels shipped within two days. Here are some pics

Before:
After:

ProStar200
09-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Looks like a new dash, looks great. I am looking to do the same to mine this winter.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Very impressive. Beautiful work.

Tomgofly
09-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Aye! Looks great!

I need to referb my 87 TriStar. Anybody know where I can find the dash itself? Mine has a 6in split down the side... :(

-Tom

ROB
09-03-2009, 01:40 AM
I know that there are some guys out there with the same dash panels. My measurements were pretty good and I am happy with the result. You can find the measurements in one of my earlier posts or by visiting the website where I got my panels and type "mastercraft" under the search menu. My contact was Mike Hood. Everything was handled through email. I actually scanned my panels and sent him the email, pretty simple. Here is his website.

http://aplusmobilegraphics.com/

rholmes
09-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Very nice, thanks for posting!

Tomgofly
09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I appreciate your measurements greatly! I plan on cutting my own switch panels on my Laser Engraver, but my cushy dash itself has a split. I have about run out of search options...

-Tom

ROB
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
All of the breaker reset buttons are 3/8" and the toggle switches are 7/8"W x 1 7/16"L. I made all of the attachment holes 1/8".

ROB
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
"toggle switches are 7/8"W x 1 7/16"L" Sorry, should have said rocker switches.