PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting, 89 tristar

Hawksinkalispell
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
We were out this weekend and hopefully are getting through the winter tank of gas. My wife was having a problem first with starting the boat when we went to launch and then when we were going to retrieve the boat after she was floating for a while. We were out last weekend and the boat ran awesome in all aspects, the only thing that changed was I changed the oil/filter (used 10-40 versis the old 30 weight) and topped of the tank.

What if any tips do you awl have when starting your boat at the launch or when it's warmed up?

It definetely fired up better when warm if I rev the motor before shutting it down, but I don't always remember to do that and it might be difficult for my wife to remember. Maybe it's just something that we'll have to deal with on the old carbuerated engine.... But it's only got 457 hours on the 351.

Hawksinkalispell
07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
P.S. What type of gas does everyone run, 87, 89 octane?

TMCNo1
07-27-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/1989_1990_OwnersManual-TriStar.pdf, page 9, 13 & 14 shows cold starting procedure and if the engine timing is correct, just a bump of the starter switch is all that is needed to crank when at operating temperatures.