PDA

View Full Version : Fried a starter, need some info on a new one

hz900
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
'92 Prostar 205

So my starter finally fried on me this weekend. I know its the starter because it litterally started smoking while I was testing it.

Anyway I have heard that the newer style starters that turn over much quicker and give you a quicker start will bolt up just fine, and will work with a little rewiring. Anyone every done this. I'll only buy a new one if I can get something updated, otherwise I'll just have the one I have rebuilt for cheap.

If someone has done this a part number for the starter you used and a wiring diagram/explanation would be helpful.

Also any suggestions on where to buy? I know skidim I just always like to shop prices if I can.

TMCNo1
07-27-2009, 12:54 PM
By ordering online, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK122014, you can get a 10% off using a discount code.
Have you considered having the starter rebuilt locally?

hz900
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
By ordering online, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK122014, you can get a 10% off using a discount code.
Have you considered having the starter rebuilt locally?

I have, I just thought it would be nice to have a newer style starter, I have heard from someone that did the upgrade that it is much easier to start. I do have issues with it starting sometimes, partially due to the carb not set right, but also due to it sounding like the engine is just draging around.

JimN
07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
'92 Prostar 205

So my starter finally fried on me this weekend. I know its the starter because it litterally started smoking while I was testing it.

Anyway I have heard that the newer style starters that turn over much quicker and give you a quicker start will bolt up just fine, and will work with a little rewiring. Anyone every done this. I'll only buy a new one if I can get something updated, otherwise I'll just have the one I have rebuilt for cheap.

If someone has done this a part number for the starter you used and a wiring diagram/explanation would be helpful.

Also any suggestions on where to buy? I know skidim I just always like to shop prices if I can.

Call the local auto electrical repair shops. If they know what they're doing, they can set you up. You may need to tell them which direction it turns when cranking, though. That's not marked on it but the teeth will show which way it cranks.

hz900
07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Problem solved... called the main alternator/starter repair shop that most of the boat repair places use and said he can sell me a rebuilt gear reduction starter for $85. I thought that sounded like a great price and he has them sitting on the shelf.

JimN
07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Problem solved... called the main alternator/starter repair shop that most of the boat repair places use and said he can sell me a rebuilt gear reduction starter for $85. I thought that sounded like a great price and he has them sitting on the shelf.

For marine application, right?

hz900
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
For marine application, right?

Yes. Thanks for the help guys.