PDA

View Full Version : LTR Alternator Bracket

russlars
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I recently noticed this failure of one of the brackets holding the alternator on my LTR engine. Can someone tell me if this is the classic failure referred to in other threads about the alternator bracket? If this is the failure, wasn't there a recall of some sorts to correct this? I am taking the boat into the dealer to have my transmission leak repaired and would like to get this fixed at the same time. If there was a recall on this, would it still be covered on a 10 year old boat?

kkkeating
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I have the same exact break in my 2001 X-9. The problem is that the bracket is part of the alternator frame and it appears the entire alternator would need be replaced. From Skidim the alternator alone costs $390. It's been like since I got the boat last year, and as I never found the broken piece it appears it been like that for at least 5 years. Let me know what you find out from the dealer.

Tom023
07-26-2009, 12:11 PM
There is an additional support bracket that was supplied to correct the problem. I had mine alternator break the first year without the bracket. After the install, it has run 8 more years without a problem.

JimN
07-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I have the same exact break in my 2001 X-9. The problem is that the bracket is part of the alternator frame and it appears the entire alternator would need be replaced. From Skidim the alternator alone costs $390. It's been like since I got the boat last year, and as I never found the broken piece it appears it been like that for at least 5 years. Let me know what you find out from the dealer.

$390 for the alternator? That's just wrong! Were they planning to fly someone out to install it, too? I got a reman that puts out 105A for another TMC member and it was $100.

ANY decent rebuild shop can set you up for a lot less than $200 and you can have more output, too. The bracket would have broken because someone may have left the other bolts too loose and the belt's tension tried to rotate the alternator downward.

TMCNo1
07-26-2009, 12:56 PM
$390 for the alternator? That's just wrong! Were they planning to fly someone out to install it, too? I got a reman that puts out 105A for another TMC member and it was $100.

ANY decent rebuild shop can set you up for a lot less than $200 and you can have more output, too. The bracket would have broken because someone may have left the other bolts too loose and the belt's tension tried to rotate the alternator downward.

I'm not sure how much of the bracket/housing is actually part of the alternator itself, but I would think most any starter/alternator/generator/electric motor rebuild shop has a good extra bracket/housing laying around from a discarded alternator that they can use as a replacement for your broke portion, instead of buying a whole new one.

JimN
07-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how much of the bracket/housing is actually part of the alternator itself, but I would think most any starter/alternator/generator/electric motor rebuild shop has a good extra bracket/housing laying around from a discarded alternator that they can use as a replacement for your broke portion, instead of buying a whole new one.

That tab is part of the case and a shop that remans alternators has all kinds of spare parts, so they toss one and use it on others of the same model. The only reason I wouldn't recommend just buying a used one is that there's no way to tell if the bearings and slip rings will last.

TMCNo1
07-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Not sure which exact alternator the owner has, but this site has replacement parts and here is an example, http://store.alternatorparts.com/housings-1.aspx

russlars
07-27-2009, 01:00 AM
There is an additional support bracket that was supplied to correct the problem. I had mine alternator break the first year without the bracket. After the install, it has run 8 more years without a problem.
Do you have any specific details on the bracket that was installed? Did the dealer fix it and was it a part of the original recall on this known defect?

Tom023
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I will email you the letter I received from MC, can't post a PDF I guess, says invalid file. The dealer installed it when they replaced the brand new alternator with a rebuilt unit.

JimN
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Copy and past it to a Word document. That ought to work.

Cloaked
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I will email you the letter I received from MC, can't post a PDF I guess, says invalid file. The dealer installed it when they replaced the brand new alternator with a rebuilt unit.
If your Adobe does not allow editing, open the PDF, do a print screen of the info, paste it and save it as a jpg, post as a picture attachment.