PDA

View Full Version : Does the S&S have a clear coat over the glitter stripe?

brianaw26
06-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Iím finally getting around to posting here. I got my first mastercraft (81 S&S) in early Feb. Put a little work into it and have taken it out a few times. Other then a few problems everything has gone pretty smooth for a 25 year old boat.

I washed and waxed it as best as I could today in the heat of Texas but the boat looks good. I took some pictures and posted them in my gallery.

Now my question... :confused:

The stripe on the side and down the center of the boat that has the stars on it feels rough; I can feel some of the glitter. I doubt it was ever covered with gel-coat but on other boats I see it looks so shiny. I tried a few coats of wax which helped a little but not near what I want. I plan to do some light gel-coat work soon and am trying to get an idea how to make the stripes shiny again.

Dan K
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Brianaw26 welcome to the board !

I also have an 81 and what you are feeling is severe oxidation. The actual clear gelcoat has weathered away and the rough surface is the glitter. The way this is repaired is to grind away the glitter, reapply and resurface with clear gelcoat. When it gets to this point there is nothing left to buff and shine up.

brianaw26
06-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Is there a layer of gelcoat under the glitter. Or is the glitter the last thing protecting the fiberglass? Man that sounds like a pain in the *** (like a winter project to me). If i removed the glitter I would probably just stay with a clean hull.

If I clean up the glitter that is there can I apply the clear gelcoat over that? It isnt as if the glitter is peeling away just starting to get rough.

tph
06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Is there a layer of gelcoat under the glitter. Or is the glitter the last thing protecting the fiberglass? Man that sounds like a pain in the *** (like a winter project to me). If i removed the glitter I would probably just stay with a clean hull.

If I clean up the glitter that is there can I apply the clear gelcoat over that? It isnt as if the glitter is peeling away just starting to get rough.

I have an '83 and I think there is black gel behind the metalflake. I think some owners have smoothed out the stripe areas and painted them with a solid color. Waterski Magazine had a series of articles about one such restoration several years ago.

brianaw26
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
So... if I decide to remove the stripe completely, I would have to: get the glitter off, remove the black gel stuff, then sand and buff the underlying gelcoat (Or if its fiberglass under the gel, reapply gelcoat and sand/buff)

If I decide to keep the stripes as they are I would; Remove the decals, clean the area, apply the clear gel coat, Let it cure, Sand and buff?

Dan K
06-01-2005, 10:28 PM
The process as described to me by Donny Bennet in Tennessee is as follows.
Grind/Sand down enough of stripe so that the new layers of gel come about even with surface next to strip.

Add Black Gel for behind the glitter.

Add Glitter, the shape of new glitter is octagon versus the old glitter square.

Add Clear Gel

Wet sand and Buff until she looks good.

This all may sound like a pain but they look really sweet when done.

Donny has done alot of S&S restorations and I intend to taker mine to him one day when funds and time permit. You can probably google his name and get more info since he was mentioned on the old site a number of times.

Cloaked
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Do a site search on his name. His phone number is here. Myself and others have posted his point of contact several times in the past. Donnie does great work.

brianaw26
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks, Ill look his name up. How much do you think it would cost if I had a professional reapply the glitter and coat over it. I feel comfortable repairing small nicks and scrapes but a whole side of the boat seems a little over my head.

I found an auction for the decals. They look good to me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549462238&category=26455&sspagename=WD1V
Would the decals go under or on top of the gel-coat?

If I were to do it myself where would I get the gel-coat? Anyone have recommendations or helpful hints?

JEREMY79
06-03-2005, 01:10 PM
What you all have said is right. I also have done few S&S restorations. There is black gel behind the glitter. The glitter is then mixed with a clear gel and the a straight clear gel is put over that. Sand and buff until you are contet. Not that hard just takes time.

brianaw26
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Where should I get the clear gel? Should I feather it into the existing gel-coat? Itís applied with a brush I assume? If I do all the stripes at once will it cure to fast for me to sand and work with it?

Sand existing area, clean with acetone, apply gel-coat, wait for it to harden a little, sand, (reapply if necessary?) sand with smaller grit, wet sand, polish, then apply the decals?

Sound right? Is there a website with step by step instructions with pictures and details that someone recommends?

ski_king
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I found an auction for the decals. They look good to me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549462238&category=26455&sspagename=WD1V
Would the decals go under or on top of the gel-coat?

If I were to do it myself where would I get the gel-coat? Anyone have recommendations or helpful hints?
That looks like a good deal on the Ebay graphics. I just asked him for a color sample. I may just have to buy a set if it is a match.
The decals go on top of the gel-coat.

JEREMY79
06-03-2005, 01:21 PM
It will take a little while to harden I usually let mine cure about a week.
I dont use a brush to apply. I use a spray gun. You have to have one with at least a 2.0 size tip a 2.3 is better. (thats what I use) You should be able to find a website with instructions. You can find anything else online!!!!

ski_king
06-05-2005, 08:39 AM
......I found an auction for the decals. They look good to me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549462238&category=26455&sspagename=WD1V ....

This guy might be a good source for old out of stock decals. I just ordered a few replacement stars. Also a miniture transom decal set for the rear window of the truck.

brianaw26
06-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Let us know how they look when you get them. I might have to get some new ones,.

woodskier
06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I have done a site search and cannot find a contact for Donny Bennett, Would you have it?. I am looking for new skins for my 84 S&S (Blue and Grey,) and MC no longer has them. Any other suggestions would help.

Thanks

Brn85ss
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Donnie Bennet

(865) 982-9589 Nice guy,I have bought some things from him in the past.

ssippiriverrat
07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I was thinking about taking the oxidation off of my glitter strip with the properautocare stuff which cuts through it--does this mean that if i do this the glitter with come out?--due to a clear coat?

richardsoncd
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I also just got my first MC (70 S&S). The stripe is in pretty rough shape, is there any saving it...I have read some stuff about Poli-glow for heavily oxidated clear/gel coats. The only thing is, unlike old Nautiques that I have seen the finish on my boat is a textured grey, will this poliglow stuff do anygood, how do I make this baby shine?

ski_king
08-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Give us some pictures of how it looks, we will give you our ideas.

richardsoncd
08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Here is a photo of my newly purchased Stars and Stripes. It is my first boat !!! Can't wait to start working on it, any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help.

[http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1569&cat=503]

I don't know if I did the link right but the pic is under "other mastercrafts" 79 stars and stripes unrestored. The picture is actually worse than it really looks believe it or not.

JEREMY79
08-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey, you want to trade motor covers?

If you have any questions maybe I can help. Feel free to ask

brianaw26
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Congrats on the MC. I can believe you that it is worse than the picture looks. The pics of mine look pretty good but the entire clear gel coat on the glitter is gone and the glitter is fading. Looks good from afar but once you get close its not that great. I still havenít done anything to the stripe as of yet, Iím thinking of using a decal off of a 98 instead of going back with the glitter but not sure yet. Looks like a newer engine cover? Still a 351? If you donít mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Iíve had some major problems happen to mine since I bought it in Feb. The first thing I would do is go to http://rotdoctor.com/ , read all you can about repairing stringers and use the epoxy CEPS stuff to strengthen the stringers if they havenít been replaced or this can happen. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3796)

Also change the impeller no matter what the previous owner said... or this can happen (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3254)

I would also change the oil/ plugs/ and tranny fluid before too long. Just my 2 cents

Ha-ha o well I take it all in stride, and as long as my boat makes it to the winter ill be happy. That way I donít lose any water time. Let me know if you have any questions.

richardsoncd
08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
We took it out this weekend and she pulls like a dream. The glitter stipe actually looks really great once it is wet, is there anything I can apply to it (I do not have any spraying device) so it will keep that "wet look" shine, and if so should I do it before or after I put on the new decals? P.S. if anyone needs the template for the decals I am making them. The engine cover is new (as is the interior), don't really know the history. How hard is changing the impeller or should I take it to my local marine shop? Thanks for the help. Also....there is a small patch of mildew stain on one of my skins, what will take this off?