PDA

View Full Version : Tower vs. Pylon

SoCal205
07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Is there really as differance between a tower vs. an extended pylon other then the obvious more room for boards.

3event
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
The main other difference is that your wallet is several thou lighter. Your boat lift and garage door have to accomodate the tower as well.

We're mainly skiers, but I pull boarders using a fly high. I rarely have 180lb+ boarders that can actually load the line, but when I do, I hear a little bit of protest from the pylon on a hard cut by the boarder - creaking. All appears tight, however. Over time, a pylon might require some attention if you use it a lot this way - we don't use it a lot. Of course if you have a tower that gets used hard the stress you place is partially on the visible top deck of your boat so if it requires repair it's critical and visible.

All that being said, when the kids get bigger I will likely add a tower or upgrade to a boat that has one......

TMCNo1
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Is there really as differance between a tower vs. an extended pylon other then the obvious more room for boards.

How many wakeboarders does it take to change a tower light bulb?
Sorry - couldn't resist...

A extended pylon doesn't have a navigation light on top.

Granite_33
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
A tower was the natural progression from the pylon.

A tower gets you an anchor point for boarding.
A place to put more speakers if you want them.
A place to put more lights if you want them.
A good place to hang your towels to dry when the boat is on the lift.:D
4 Anchor points to distribute the stress over 4 reinforced attachment points on the boat. Note that these are aluminum plates glassed into the deck on wakeboars specific models. So they are very strong.

Pylon gets you an anchor point for boarding.
Accessories can be added to the pylon so that you can mount boards up there as well.

Main difference is how its anchored.......which is the strap system.....vs the 4 point contact of the tower.

Unless you are going on the PWT.........seems like a pylon would suffice........esp if you like to do all sports....

StuSX
07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Ton of difference in the physics aspect of things- Jumping a wake or doing a high air trick on WB= pylon is pulling the boarder back down, the tower allows the air to happen.

Kneeboarding this week- none of my kids could get going with rope on tower, did great from the pylon

It's all about the angle of the rope from the boat depending on what you're doing.

Surf= go from tower can help pull you up versus over....

H20skeefreek
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Stu, I think when he says pylon, he means and extended pylon, actually that's exactly what he says....if so, this is the same tower vs. pylon.

StuSX
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
My bad- didn't see the extended part.... That being said- aren't they a PITA to set up and hook to the bow?

funk
07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Mostly looks and storage in my opinion. Both accomplish the goal of being pulled from a higher source = air while wakeboarding.

Besides that, towers rattle like hell but chicks dig extended pylons!! :D

O2BESOHUGE
07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I Have A Fly High Extended Pylon And Love It. Its Easy To Set Up..i Can Get It Ready In Less Than A Minute. I Have Friends That Ski With Me That Have Towers And Some Places We Go To SkI They Cant Come Because We Have To Go Under A Low Bridge And They CanT- Even With The Tower Folded Down.

The Pylon Is Cheaper And With A Board Rack Mounted On Top Of It You Also Get The Board Storage. Plus, $300 Is Way Better Than $1000-$3000 For The Tower Imo.

Jay