PDA

View Full Version : Holes in Dash

ccelia
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone ever dealt with this issue? I am trying to figure out the best way to fill holes that are in my dash on the left side. The previous owner drilled holes in the dash to mount a stereo box, which was a poor design and the cd player/radio kept cutting out as it was not seating right in the box. Long story short, I removed to box (which was to the left of the mirror) and replaced with an in-dash cd player (permanent install).

I am now left with three screw holes and a hole that's probably about 3/4" in diameter. I am thinking of getting some rubber plugs to fill the holes.

Anyone else run into this issue or see a better solution to the problem. Sorry, I don't have pictures right now as I was running out of daylight installing the new unit and didn't take any pictures.

Any ideas are welcome.

deereman
07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I had the same kinds problem when we bought our boat. The dash was held on with wood screws and I thought it looked horrible. I went to the hardware store and bought some hinged screw covers and now it looks great. They come in all different sizes and maybe just put a short bolt through there and it'll probably look pretty good. Or maybe you could epoxy a small piece of wood or plastic behind the dash then fill it flush with some black cauld and you coil probably get it to look pretty good. If you get some pictures maybe we can give some other suggestions.

CameronCarey
07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
for bigger holes in offshore boats we would often polish up a SS carriage bolt head and install it with an 0 ring and a nut on the back side........usually looks like it came that way.

JimN
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone ever dealt with this issue? I am trying to figure out the best way to fill holes that are in my dash on the left side. The previous owner drilled holes in the dash to mount a stereo box, which was a poor design and the cd player/radio kept cutting out as it was not seating right in the box. Long story short, I removed to box (which was to the left of the mirror) and replaced with an in-dash cd player (permanent install).

I am now left with three screw holes and a hole that's probably about 3/4" in diameter. I am thinking of getting some rubber plugs to fill the holes.

Anyone else run into this issue or see a better solution to the problem. Sorry, I don't have pictures right now as I was running out of daylight installing the new unit and didn't take any pictures.

Any ideas are welcome.

You wouldn't want to post some photos, would you?

AJones
07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
I had to plug 2 screw holes when I changed out a mirror on my dash. I found white plastic plugs at Lowe's in the hardware department. They nearly matched my gelcoat perfectly. I'd bet they have a plastic plug of some type that would work in the larger hole. If you had to you could spray paint the plugs to match the color of your dash before you install them. It might be a cheap quick solution for now.

boyd
07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Get some nice MC emblems and cover the holes. You could even get some nice MC stickers or just some round black stickers that match the dash.

boyd

ccelia
07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I'll take some photos of the dash this weekend when I get down to the boat so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

TMCNo1
07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Several kinds/sizes like these can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot,
http://www.carpin.com/metal-closures.htm
http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs