PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Michael Jackson?

BriEOD
07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Michael Jackson dies and it's 24/7 news coverage. A real American hero dies
and not a mention of it in the news. Ed Freeman was the wingman of Maj Bruce "Snake" Crandall, play by Greg Kinnear in the movie "We were soldiers."

Ed Freeman

You're a 19-year-old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in
the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is
outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away,
that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop
coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're
not getting out. Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away
and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you
know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter
and you look up to see an unarmed Huey, but it doesn't seem real because no
Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's
flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were
ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire as they load 2 or
3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out, through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses.

And he kept coming back, 13 more times, and took about 30 of you and your
buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died on Wednesday, June 25th, 2009, at the
age of 80, in Boise , ID.

Freeman's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November 1965 while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The unit was almost out of ammunition after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force. When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the besieged battalion. His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival, without which they would almost surely have gone down, with much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life-saving evacuation of an estimated 30 seriously wounded soldiers -- some of whom would not have survived had he not acted. All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers. Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.[4]

bcampbe7
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Ed Freeman died in August of 2008, but still deserves more media coverage than Michael Jackson!

flipper
07-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm sick of Michael Jackson

bigmac
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm sick of Michael Jackson

I'm sick of Michael Jackson, but I'm sicker of Nancy Grace obsessing about Michael Jackson. My god, who let that woman on the air?

Anyway, yes....real American heros do walk and die among us in obscurity. Here's a pretty well known email that's been circulating:

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.
I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.
Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.
I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.
Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, and then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.
Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.
At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.
I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . And then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.
I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.
I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.
He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.
Shifty died on June 17.
There was no parade.
No big event in Staples Center.
No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.
No weeping fans on television.
And that's not right.
Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.
Rest in peace, Shifty.
"A nation without heroes is nothing."
Roberto Clemente

JimN
07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I feel worse about seeing road kill than about MJ.

ski_king
07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
We need to hear more about those real heros and way less about MJ!

TMCNo1
07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't read about him, listen to the TV/radio about him, listen to his music, joke anymore about him, discuss him with anyone, (oops, doin' it here) buy/download his music, jeezzzzzzzze he's dead, let his weird arse go!

CantRepeat
07-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Great story Brian, thanks for posting it!

nascar
07-22-2009, 07:16 AM
You are not the only one sick of it ....the "tax payers " of LA now have to pay the 1.4 million dollars the cost of the event ! The story is on MSN news .

Maristar210
07-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Michael Jackson died because his heart couldn't.... beat it !!!
Ok kids you can come out now, Michael Jackson is dead.

scott023
07-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Michael Jackson died because his heart couldn't.... beat it !!!
Ok kids you can come out now, Michael Jackson is dead.

:D

Hate how his music is getting SOOO much air time right now too...Give it a rest...

TMCNo1
07-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I've had to resort to listening to country music till this all blows over, cause no ****kicking redneck thought his tractor was sexy!:rolleyes::D

JimN
07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
You are not the only one sick of it ....the "tax payers " of LA now have to pay the 1.4 million dollars the cost of the event ! The story is on MSN news .

That was just for police protection and crowd management, not for any event costs.

Typical. Let's make them pay for it- he was sooooooo special!

h2oskifreak
07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm sick of Michael Jackson, but I'm sicker of Nancy Grace obsessing about Michael Jackson. My god, who let that woman on the air?

Anyway, yes....real American heros do walk and die among us in obscurity. Here's a pretty well known email that's been circulating:

Agreed, Nancy Grace is the absolute most obnoxious person on T.V. I dare anyone to top me on the "most obnoxious" catagory. O.K., maybe Steve Erkle

helton333
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I still like to listen to "jam" on my tower speakers...

TMCNo1
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I still like to listen to "jam" on my tower speakers...

Jam? I eat jam on my buttered toast with coffee.:rolleyes::D

coz
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
He was a drug addict that died from an OD, 2nd autopsy showed needle marks and propofol and it looks like the feds just raided his dealer http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090722/ap_en_mu/us_michael_jackson_doctor;_ylt=AmVKOUoaPItrChPRpuc opK5xFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTNiNXBwbTFsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDk wNzIyL3VzX21pY2hhZWxfamFja3Nvbl9kb2N0b3IEY3BvcwMxB HBvcwMyBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9 yeQRzbGsDcmVwb3J0ZGVhcmFp

He now has the same thing in common as Jim Morrison, Janice Joplin & John Belushi do :D

flipper
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
He was a drug addict that died from an OD, 2nd autopsy showed needle marks and propofol and it looks like the feds just raided his dealer http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090722/ap_en_mu/us_michael_jackson_doctor;_ylt=AmVKOUoaPItrChPRpuc opK5xFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTNiNXBwbTFsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDk wNzIyL3VzX21pY2hhZWxfamFja3Nvbl9kb2N0b3IEY3BvcwMxB HBvcwMyBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9 yeQRzbGsDcmVwb3J0ZGVhcmFp

He now has the same thing in common as Jim Morrison, Janice Joplin & John Belushi do :D

Only MJ prefers 5 year old crack

JimN
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Agreed, Nancy Grace is the absolute most obnoxious person on T.V. I dare anyone to top me on the "most obnoxious" catagory. O.K., maybe Steve Erkle

I'd rather hear Erkle.