PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking, please help!!

awrobertso
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a 2005 X-10 and the last couple times out I have noticed my carpet wet right underneath the steering wheel. I then went up to the bow and open up the right seat and it was really wet there too. As far as I can tell this is where the water is coming in from. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this problem? My middle ballast tank has some water in it, but i don't know if that's causing it. That's another problem...my ballast tanks never work right. The impellers terrible, so if I do pump water in them half the time I cant get it back out. Anyhow I would appreciate any help solving this water leaking problem. Thanks alot.

-Andy

JDK
07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Rub rail --- feel around the inside of the hull at the level of the rub rail and see if this area is wet.

Goalie_ken
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
check the hose that connects from the thru hull fitting to the bilge pump. On my Maristar 210 the clamp was loose.

bigmac
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Rub rail is a possibility, but IMHO it's far more likely that you have a leaking heater core (assuming you have a heater). You may notice that the water is warm. The heater is located behind the kick panel on the driver's side. When it leaks, a puddle forms coming out from under that kick panel right under the steering wheel. If you look under the right bow cushion back toward the stern (may require body contortions), you'll see the hoses and with the engine running, likely see water dripping down.

If so, you'll need to get it replaced. It's not an uncommon occurrence in HeaterCraft heaters, usually a victim of inadequate winterizing with the core not being drained properly and it freezes. In HeaterCraft cores of that approximate vintage, however, the cores were pretty poorly made and HeaterCraft extended the warranty.

IF it is the heater, you can slow, maybe even stop the leaking with the inlet valve on your engine manifold. Only way to accomplish that for sure, however, is to either put in a new core, or bypass it by disconnecting the two hoses and connecting them together with a short piece of 5/8 inch pipe.

awrobertso
07-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Sounds like this is going to have to be taken to the dealer. You wouldnt want to drive down to lovely southern Indiana? HAHA...J/k

bigmac
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Changing a heater core isn't particularly hard, just kind of annoying. All you really need to do is replace the whole thing with this (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-202), $110.

VOLFAN
07-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree with bigmac.. I fyou have a heater and it is mounted there then that more than likely is your problem. I had the same issue with my old 03' x2 last year and just ordered a new heater from heatercraft and was done with it.

bigmac
07-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree with bigmac.. I fyou have a heater and it is mounted there then that more than likely is your problem. I had the same issue with my old 03' x2 last year and just ordered a new heater from heatercraft and was done with it.

I replaced the one in my '04. Pretty straightforward.

awrobertso
07-21-2009, 11:47 AM
What if it is wet in the back right compartment as well? Same Thing?

bigmac
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
What if it is wet in the back right compartment as well? Same Thing?

That wouldn't likely be heater.

Remove your right bow cushion and stick your head back under the dash. You should see the heater core (will have two black hoses coming up out of the floor to it), and with the engine running you should see water dripping out of the grey heater core box if that is the problem.

awrobertso
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
If the glue like stuff is coming off underneath the rub-rail will this cause the back compartment of the boat to leak?

bigmac
07-21-2009, 01:57 PM
If the glue like stuff is coming off underneath the rub-rail will this cause the back compartment of the boat to leak?

It could, yes.

FrankSchwab
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
What I found on mine (no heater core) is that if I have water in the bilge, when I accelerate and the nose rises, all of the bilge water will slosh to the stern, splash against the transom, and get the carpet of the compartments on either side of the engine wet.

If you don't have a heater, the rub rail is probably where the water is coming in. If the bilge pump isn't on Auto or isn't working, you can have enough water in the bilge to get the rear compartments wet.

/frank

awrobertso
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
What is the best way to take care of the rub rail?

VOLFAN
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
get some marine grade silicone. I would say get the type rated for under water use and run a small bead around under the rub rail where the old is coming off...

i doubt that is your problem, but could be.

awrobertso
07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
get some marine grade silicone. I would say get the type rated for under water use and run a small bead around under the rub rail where the old is coming off...

i doubt that is your problem, but could be.

So you think its the heater core as well? Do you ever have trouble with your impellers not working

VOLFAN
07-21-2009, 05:04 PM
i would be willing to bet it is the heater core unless you are out there doing batman turns...

impellers? you talking for the ballast pump or the engine? I have had a couple of both go bad, but they didnt have anything to with the water comign in to the front section of the boat.

the heater core is probably mounted under the drivers console and the core of it has cracked and as te water is circulating through it is pouring out into the floor of the boat. It happen to me last year and I just plugged the hoses and went without it throughout the summer. Next time you are out on the water check underneath the drivers console and find the heater core and as the boat is running check to see if that is where it is leaking.

VOLFAN
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
ok so I went back and seen your post about your ballast too. if you haven;t ever changed your impellers do so with either the yellow or green impellers. At the end of the day after I empty my ballast I always flip them over to fill for a split second so the next time out the impellers will be going in the correct direction and will not cause any strain on them while they are not wet. It prolongs the life of them to not run them while dry too.

hope this helps