PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake issue

ChrisG
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I have a 2003 X9 trailer with surge brakes. When I brake and accelerate, the surge just clanks back and forth. In other words, the brakes aren't working. Could this be a bad master cylinder? Does anyone know how difficult this would be fix on my own? I hear that bleeding them may be difficult.

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a 2003 X9 trailer with surge brakes. When I brake and accelerate, the surge just clanks back and forth. In other words, the brakes aren't working. Could this be a bad master cylinder? Does anyone know how difficult this would be fix on my own? I hear that bleeding them may be difficult.

1) Have you checked the brake fluid level?
2) They may need bleeding.
3) The shock absorber in the actuator assembly may have gone bad.

93Prostar190
07-20-2009, 11:36 PM
There are some good posts on here for brake repair and also on the manufacturer web sites for the different years ... I do not recall which master cylinder came on your 2003 trailer ... but let's start here ...

Double check that the brake lockout lever is not activated and stuck on .... (easiest fix) if that isn't it then ..

Like TMC#1 says, do you have brake fluid in the reservoir? if not, then you need to check for leaks ... start all the way back at the bleeding screws on each caliper. Also refill the reservoir and manually activate the master cylinder piston with a large flat screw driver (looking up from the ground up at the master cylinder you will see the piston and how to push it in .... push it in a few times to simulate a stop ..... then check for leaks ..... be careful brake fluid is not nice to painted surfaces so be ready to clean up leaks with a paper towel.

If you fill the reservoir and there are no leaks ... then starting with the wheel furthest from the master cylinder you need to bleed the brakes. Usually a 2 man job if you use someone to pump the piston and someone else to release the bleed screws ..... you can also use a 1 man bleeder with vacuum ... I found an extra cap to my master cylinder and put a small air fitting on it and I use my air compressor to keep around 8-10 psi on the master cylinder side while I work the bleed screws .... (racing technique).

A good link for the maker of alot of our couplers and actuators is http://www.ufpnet.com/
c ... they have a couple maintenance PDF on their web site ... check it out.

Let us know how you do, we can get more detailed if needed.

Good luck.

ChrisG
07-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you for the quick replies (the internet is an incredible tool).

I'll start taking a look at these things. I just got back from a week's vacation in Tahoe when I noticed it (talk about an interesting drive down the hill). I still haven't been able to get the plastic cap off where the fluid goes, however I was able to break a hole in the top of it and add a little brake fluid. I don't seem to be leaking any fluid from the brakes. That's why I'm thinking it may be the master cylinder. Anyhow, thanks for the info and I'll definitely keep you posted.

TMCNo1
07-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Thank you for the quick replies (the internet is an incredible tool).

I'll start taking a look at these things. I just got back from a week's vacation in Tahoe when I noticed it (talk about an interesting drive down the hill). I still haven't been able to get the plastic cap off where the fluid goes, however I was able to break a hole in the top of it and add a little brake fluid. I don't seem to be leaking any fluid from the brakes. That's why I'm thinking it may be the master cylinder. Anyhow, thanks for the info and I'll definitely keep you posted.

I don't know about knocking a hole in the cover, but the cover should just pull/pop off with a knife or small screwdriver and on top of the master cylinder reservoir is a black rubber plug that you remove to add fluid.

ChrisG
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know about knocking a hole in the cover, but the cover should just pull/pop off with a knife or small screwdriver and on top of the master cylinder reservoir is a black rubber plug that you remove to add fluid.

Yeah, I've mangled the crap out of the plastic cover with a screw driver and still have not been able to get it off. It almost seems like it's frozen on.

93Prostar190
07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow .... the large cover that sits on top of the trailer coupler is held in place with some metal teeth that simply use pressure to keep that lid in place ... my guess is that corrosion has locked that one in place .... below that you will have another rubber stop which is the actual plug for the fill hole of the master cylinder and that one should come out easily ..... maybe if that one was missing, then that would explain where your brake fluid is going .... but if you do not seal the opening to the master cylinder properly then you risk air entering the lines, loss of brake fluid etc.

Which lid are you struggling with? and do you have both?

ChrisG
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I do notice the rubber stopper underneath the black plastic cap that I can not get off. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

93Prostar190
07-21-2009, 02:47 PM
that looks strange to me .... usually the 1st cover sat on top of the metal of the trailer almost looks like yours is below the metal .... look at the black circular lid on this actuator on the attached picture .... maybe you can send a pic of your entire coupler so we can determine which actuator / coupler is on your trailer.

The one attached is similar to the one on my previous 93 Prostar 190 trailer.

TMCNo1
07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I do notice the rubber stopper underneath the black plastic cap that I can not get off. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

I think you need to find out the trailer manufacturer from info on the trailer or from a/the dealer and contact them about who the manufacturer used as a supplier for the actuator. I've never seen anything like that before. Must be a aftermarket West Coast trailer that some MC dealer use instead of MC's.

ChrisG
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Here are a few pictures I snapped with my phone. As you can see, I mangled the heck out of the plastic cap on top and still can't get it off.

mayo93prostar
07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
is there oil in the reservoir?

ChrisG
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
is there oil in the reservoir?

Since I haven't been able to break loose the plastic cap on top, I haven't been able to remove the rubber plug underneath to check the fluid level.

Ski-me
07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Grind that sucker off and find a new one! It's obviously not too salvagable. Just watch for any sparks....

JohnnyB
07-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm guessing that if you haven't touched the brakes since 2003 that there is most likely water instrusion in the system. My 2004 trailer had calipers that were shot within 2 years (poor design). I drained the brake fluid/changed the calipers and then re-bled the system and they work fine now. I have re-bled significant amounts of fluid (fluid change) every other year to make sure I'm not getting water problems in the fluid.

WTRSK1R
07-24-2009, 08:08 PM
That's definately not the tongue of any MC trailer I have seen. I agree with #1 that it likely not the OEM trailer. In any case, when I had a leaky brake line and ran out of brake fluid I got exactly the clunk back and forth every time I slowed down or sped up. I will bet you will find it bone dry when you get the cap off.

One other thing in case you were not aware. Brake fluid will eat the paint on your trailer, so be careful when adding fluid and clean up any spills quickly.

ejg333
07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
ChrisG send me a pm and we'll work on it

buckeye wake
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Chris,

I experienced the same thing this summer on my 03 X2. The cap is threaded into the trailer tubing. You have half the cap removed and if the cap was not greased initially or regularly it is tough to get off. I used a 3# hammer and scraper to peel the top of the cap off and then had to use a screw driver to remove the cap from the threads. if you buy a new cap from you mastercraft dealer it will all make sense. If you need a new master cyliner like i did you will need to do a little retrofitting to you existing set up to get it to fit. Instead of the cap threading to the trailer tongue the new cylinder will slide into a larger opening (you need to die grind yourself) and thread into the master cylinder thus creating a gasket.

--Matt

Workin' 4 Toys
08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Check this out, click here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=548989&postcount=6)

DanC
08-19-2009, 12:21 AM
TMCNo1 and wtrsk1r,
It looks exactly like my 2003 trailer. Manufacturer is listed as Mastercraft on the pink slip

SpryBeast
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
My 2003 trailer also looks the same and I'm getting the same thud back and forth. At the dealer now so will see what the diagnosis is.