PDA

View Full Version : prepare hull for decal install

stalefish
07-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Can some of you who have replaced decals give a description of what you did to clean your hull before applying new decals? I'm mostly interested in how to make sure there isn't any wax. I'm assuming I'll need to using some rubbing compound and a buffer to remove the shadow from the old decals. Will this be sufficient in removing any wax? Thanks.

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Can some of you who have replaced decals give a description of what you did to clean your hull before applying new decals? I'm mostly interested in how to make sure there isn't any wax. I'm assuming I'll need to using some rubbing compound and a buffer to remove the shadow from the old decals. Will this be sufficient in removing any wax? Thanks.
I would still clean it after buffing to remove all left over compound residue and the oils in it.
Denatured alcohol or a solvent like this, available at auto paint supply stores, that removes silicone, grease, wax, left over adhesive, etc.,

east tx skier
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, you need to strip the wax. My understanding is that acetone really just smears it around. I can't recall what the product is to remove the wax, but you are correct.

The ghosting can be very difficult to eliminate. But a good buffing is key. Some might say wet sand. If your decals are factory duplicates though, you might be best off just laying them on there perfect. That's what we did when we redid the decals on my current boat.

/edit: What Harold said about the solvent.

bigmac
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Rather than pure acetone, I use lacquer thinner. Denatured alcohol would probably work well too, but it's less aggressive for that purpose IMHO.

Lacquer thinner is kind of a mixture of acetone, toluene, ether, and alcohol. Sem Solve and similar solvents are mostly naphthenes with some toluene and xylenes thrown in.

Muttley
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
If there's a chalky oxidation, that needs to be wet sanded and buffed out. Other than that, all you need to do is to wipe it down with isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), then some windex.

Lacquer thinner can leave a milky film and acetone is really harsh.

(30+ years in the sign business and my own sign company for 10 years. I do about a dozen boats per year - NEVER had graphics come off.)